PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for new car

exploreco
05-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Hello all,

New member here. Just purchased a new car and am totally overwhelmed now . I have always taken great care of my cars IMO for a non-professional detailer :) My last several cars have been light colors or white so maintaining them hasn’t been too hard. During the nice months I usually wash them once a week and do a QD and wax them in the late spring and late fall right before winter and do a clay bar on the late spring wax. The current wax that I have been using for the last several years is Meguiar's NXT. It seems to hold up ok in the terms up of water beading up if that is any indication.

Now after looking on this forum I realize that my current regiment isn’t going to cut it for my new black car. I am sure my questions have probally been answered in some form or another and I am still digging through threads so I apologize for asking again.

Can you please share with me what is the best plan to keep my new black car looking its best.

1. What is the best washing technique? I don’t think just one bucket and a sponge is good enough anymore. I wash at home during the warm months and have a fast pass for a car wash in the winter but don't think I will take the black car through this car wash as it is not touchless. It is a soft foam material of some kind but still not touchless.

2. What about waxing? Is the wax I am using still ok? Or would switching to a wax like Meguiars Ultimate be a better wax? I like Meguiars products but if there is something better in that price range I am open to switching. Do I need to do the Polish first and then wax? I have always just done the wax. Is there something better for black?

3. I always just do a hand wax. Is that ok or should I look at something else? I have a high speed buffer and an orbital buffer but haven’t used them in some time. I usually only use the high speed buffer on scratches and things like that need attention. A Sears brand I think.

4. I have always used Meguiars QD in between washes but I see on the threads where a lot use the quick waxes. Is this better?

5. For drying I see where a lot of you are using MF. Are chamois no longer being used? I always use chamois but have many MF so that is not problem to switch. Also saw were some use a blower to remove the water and I really like that idea and think I will do that.

Sorry for the long post but I appreciate all of the advice and help and hope to gain some good knowledge from you all! :buffing:

BobbyG
05-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Once again, Mike Phillips does a bang-up job addressing this very subject...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

exploreco
05-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Once again, Mike Phillips does a bang-up job addressing this very subject...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

Thanks for the link. I will read through that tonight. I have not gone though that yet. Why recreate the wheel :xyxthumbs: