PDA

View Full Version : stepping up to the plate need some $.02

HellaBroke
05-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Finally decided I needed a new toy. So I picked up a Makita 9227 for a decent price… a couple different backing plates, the meguiars 6” self centering, a cg plate, some other plate that is slipping my mind right now…

so approx. 21 seconds after unboxing I tromped out to the garage slapped on the wool pad It came with sun it up, spurred it, through down a pencil length bead and went for my first 10-2 pick up… (not going to lie… Mike I have watched a good solid 10 videos where you discuss this and while it only took me a few try’s to get the first try was a lot more awkward then I was expecting…. ) Regardless I have it down the best a rookie rotary guy can and we’r moving forward…
It’s a lot of fun! After I get some extra wool pads I am going to do an intentional burn through on a spare trash panel just to see exactly what’s going on through the destroy paint process so I can minimize this…. However, I feel like I almost intimidated my self out of picking up a rotary for longer than what was needed… Its clear to see that there is a significantly longer learning curve to a rotary over a DA but all the same principles carry straight across.

I like most other people would prefer to try and keep as much money in my pocket so I am going through the debate of wool and foam pads right now…

I like with wool that it doesn’t feel like panels get nearly as warm as they do with foam pads when a little pressure is applied (not da pressure but a little…) . However I like how the foam finishes out with finer polishing… (foam pads tried so far hydro techs, ccs smart pads)

I do not like that the wool pads that came with the Makita shed almost as bad as my dog (yellow lab…) though im hoping some of you will chime in with some good wool pads to pick up that will shed less and last a bit longer…

Foam pads… im using 6” pads right now and I think I will keep using foam pads but I need to figure out the best tricks to keeping polish from absorbing into the pad as much… I have read presoaking pads in distilled water and a quick spin before applying polish will help.

I didn’t think about this until after I was cleaning up but a couple light sprays of quick detailer would have probably helped as well. What do you all recommend??

I have read of quite a few people commenting on taking advantage of a rotary and butting in larger pads to take advantage of the gained power. Im sure ill get to this point but I think ill be sticking with 6” pads for awhile until I can make sure I have some form of technique and efficiency down that wont involve re correcting with a DA due to lack of know how.

compound, polishes used so far mare menz. 400, 1000, 2500, 4500. megs 105/205

only interesting find with any of these that i wasn't expecting was mens 4500 breaks down a lot quicker than i thought it would. (used with ccs smart light blue pad... softest pad i have its the light blue pad that is softer than gray...)