PDA

View Full Version : Can I use cheap microfiber with ONR?

flugufrelsarinn
05-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I recently spent 12 hours correcting my paint so I don't want to risk swirling the paint. Autozone is having a special on microfiber for 9 towels for $7. If I bought the 9 towels I could use one for each panel, reducing the risk of marring.

Would the very nature of using a cheap microfiber with ONR cause marring or does the lubrication help enough to stop maring?

blkSRT
05-07-2014, 04:19 PM
I haven't used those but I don't think I'd chance all your work.

BillyJack
05-07-2014, 04:27 PM
I've been using the Costco Kirklands with ONR and other rinseless products. I wouldn't use them for wiping wax or polish, but in a wet state, I've seen no cause for concern.

Bill

Dr_Pain
05-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Scratches, swirls and marring are a combination of the wash technique and wash products (MF towels and products), and also the amount of dirt you are trying to remove. ONR has its limitations (in terms of lubricant). BUT regardless, if you just corrected your car and start your question with CHEAP, then you are asking for trouble!! You get what you pay for ;)

In all seriousness, if the MF passes the CD scratch test you SHOULD be safe..... Personally I would not chance it.

Real Riders
05-07-2014, 09:39 PM
I have an older van and I'm not worried about the paint. I will try to purchase some of these towels and try a rinseless wash, and let you know

jamesboyy
05-07-2014, 09:47 PM
I would not use cheap microfiber they have there place and time but begin that you spent 12 or more hours making your paint flawless its only right to use high quality microfiber like cobra all I am saying is you undoing all your hard work

Vue to a kill
05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm with BillyJack. I've used Proforce MF towels for rinseless washing with no issues whatsoever. They're my wash towels and I keep them very clean with Micro Restore detergent. I buff compound/polish/wax off with Meguiars Ultimate Wipes though.

silverfox
05-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Cheap doesn't necessarily equate to poor quality, especially buying in bulk...so assuming you meant of less quality, its possible to get away with them as long as they are maintained properly and used primarily with rinseless washing where there is a lot of lubrication going on.

CDot
05-08-2014, 09:25 AM
If you're looking for inexpensive MF towels for a rinseless, try these: Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, microfiber buffing towels, detail cloth, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/super-soft-microfiber-towels-6.html) or the Gold Plush Jr's. Microfiber Tech's prices are even lower for 360gsm towels and might be worth a look.

cleanmycorolla
05-08-2014, 09:29 AM
I try to stay away from anything "cheap" when I detail. And IMO towels, quality ones, are one of if not the most important parts of detailing.

BillyJack
05-08-2014, 10:03 AM
If you're looking for inexpensive MF towels for a rinseless, try these: Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, microfiber buffing towels, detail cloth, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/super-soft-microfiber-towels-6.html) or the Gold Plush Jr's. Microfiber Tech's prices are even lower for 360gsm towels and might be worth a look.

The rolled edge towels are my favorite "bang-for-the-buck" towel. Very reasonable in price, but good enough for just about any level of detailing.

Bill

Loser
05-08-2014, 10:37 AM
I recently spent 12 hours correcting my paint so I don't want to risk swirling the paint.

I think you answered your own question. If you want the least amount of risk then don't go cheap on towels and get some nice ones you can dedicate for rinseless. If you ruin what you have already done, you have to redo your correction and will end up just buying nicer towels anyway.

MattPersman
05-08-2014, 11:46 AM
I'd be more worried about the drying than the ONR washing with those

Bunky
05-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Cheap (if it means poor quality) is not good. Invest in some good ones - they will last a long time if properly cared for.

FUNX650
05-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Why not?
Most microfiber towels are just made from plastics anyway. :D

These are a couple of MF-towel tests to determine my use of them, or not...especially on paint:
1.) Does it feel soft, yet is grabby on your palm. That means the micro-fibers have been split---that's a good thing.

2.) Absorbency test. You want it to readily suck-up water and wick throughout the MF-towel. If it pushes water, push that MF-towel away!!

3.) Weight. Microfiber weight is measured in grams per square meter. A good quality microfiber towel should weigh usually more than 250 GSM...at the very, very least!

4. Stretch Test. If it stretches too easily: It is, generally speaking, not made from a very high quality woven material.

5.) Hold it up to a bright light (Sun is perfect). If it looks like a piece of Swiss cheese or cheesecloth: Most probably not paint-worthy.

Bob