PDA

View Full Version : Identify stain on paint

georgy
05-07-2014, 01:31 PM
In the winter, after washing my car one day, I noticed a stain on the paint that looks like a bird etching.

I've read Mike's posts about the 2 types, however I am not sure that this is in fact from bird poop and am therefore unsure as far as how to tackle it.

To the touch, the stain feels as if you are running our finger through bare, unpainted metal.

Also, you can definitely feel the edge of the stain.

If you scratch the stain with your nail, it looks like it comes off. You can see also that it has run down the rubber trim and doesn't seem to wash off.

Any idea what that might be? Here's a couple of pictures.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39922&d=1397421024

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39923&d=1397421048

Evan.J
05-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Calcium deposit is what it looks like to me. Vinegar and water mixture should desolve it. use a ratio on a 1:1 mixture with distilled white vinegar and distilled water. Let the mixture sit then rinse.

georgy
05-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Calcium deposit is what it looks like to me. Vinegar and water mixture should desolve it. use a ratio on a 1:1 mixture with distilled white vinegar and distilled water. Let the mixture sit then rinse.

Thanks for the quick response.

What should the vinegar/water mixture be? 50/50?

Also, any idea where a calcium deposit would come from?

Evan.J
05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

What should the vinegar/water mixture be? 50/50?

Also, any idea where a calcium deposit would come from?

1:1 mixture Distilled white vinegar and distilled water

Can come from a leak in a parking garage, roof around the city, gutter leaks, etc

georgy
05-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Sounds good. I'll try to see if the vinegar solution works today after work.

GenesisCoupe
05-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Ahh yes good answer on the calcium. For hardcore calcium deposits you may use some acid, but leave that to a pro. The vinegar should do just fine.

I used to get those at my old job, i had to park inside the garage under old sprinkler pipes. Would come home and notice dime size spots just like that.

georgy
05-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Vinegar/distilled water worked like a charm.

Just let a soaked towel sit on the stain for 30 seconds and it came off without any effort.

Really appreciate the help!

Evan.J
05-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Vinegar/distilled water worked like a charm.

Just let a soaked towel sit on the stain for 30 seconds and it came off without any effort.

Really appreciate the help!

Glad to hear that worked for you ! :props: