PDA

View Full Version : I was invited to go to a car show (as a detailer) and need some opinions and your suggestions!

Pages : [1] 2

Dr_Pain
05-07-2014, 10:16 AM
The president of a large local car club invited me to set up a booth at their big event, FREE OF CHARGE! He's always had Product Vendor booths, but never had a Detailer booth. He gave me no real guidelines, and has no real idea of what would appeal to his members or the crowd that will be visiting. Since it is new to him and has no real idea how this can be a win/win for both of us he waved the fees and wants me to participate as a "service" to contrast the product booths.

A little background on me: I detail part time and "by appointment only". I am normally booked 4 weeks ahead solid (with 3 workers). I don't really do marketing, and never attend car shows to recruit business, although I do drool over cars, shake hands and inspect the cars with the owners, and invariably my business card does migrate to "potential customers". I would rather this type of interaction over "being on display"

For those of you that do participate in car shows what do you suggest my booth should look like? What should be my angle/ my spiel?

I do have a business banner and have professional looking polos embroided with the business name. I will have a 10x10 tent and I am planning on bringing my tools for detail, but don't really want to do "onsite demonstrations" (which would require a generator, lights etc...). I do have business cards and some brochures, and do have an online presence and portfolio on my FB (which I can direct them to).

In order to show my skills I did get a old "junker" hood and used my "magic", and I am planning on bringing a couple of before and after objects to present (ie. couple of 1928 brass headlight buckets, rims etc..). Is that enough? Should I bring other things?

Your opinions and comments are crucial to make sure that I create the best first impression.

Here is the hood I am bringing with me:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_3019.JPG (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/76344)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_3022.JPG (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/76345)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_3024.JPG (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/76346)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_3026.JPG (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/76347)

Let me know! Thanks!

Dr_Pain
05-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Here is a sliding video of the panel

FFD - Test panel on junker hood - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Nqe7YJbeuwY)

KMG
05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
even better than just having a panel laying there, perhaps you could do a full 50/50 car. Find one with lots of swirls and do half of it and have that parked at your spot. That is more likely to catch peoples eyes than a hood laying on a table.

Evan.J
05-07-2014, 10:38 AM
even better than just having a panel laying there, perhaps you could do a full 50/50 car. Find one with lots of swirls and do half of it and have that parked at your spot. That is more likely to catch peoples eyes than a hood laying on a table.
:iagree:
Get a black car that is a swirled out mess and do half the car. Then during the show actually work on the other half. The noise of the polisher running will bring people to you wondering what you are doing. Then having people around the setup will bring in more people.

I would do a baggie test with people, show the decontamination, and then polish the area. Work in small sections so you can do that numerous times.

zmcgovern45
05-07-2014, 11:30 AM

I was also going to suggest this... I'm sure you have plenty of potential customers that would be willing to loan out a vehicle for marketing in exchange for a discount on services or something to that effect.

You may also reach out to previous customers that you would consider to be some "highlight" vehicles you have worked on to see if they would be willing to allow you to park their vehicle at your booth as a vouch for your credibility and work.

Once people see what a swirl free, protected finish should look like they will definitely start to notice the defects on most of the other vehicles at the show and then they will start to see the value in your services.

EDIT: another idea!! Take your test hood... do a "full detail" to one side, so decon, correction, and coat it. Then simply apply a wax to the other side. Then you can bring some water & APC with you to demonstrate the durability of the coating (spray both sides with APC and remove the wax, but not the coating), and you can also show off the awesome hydrophobic properties of the coatings. Just an idea to help spread the word about paint coatings :)

Dr_Pain
05-07-2014, 11:34 AM
I may have to consider this for a different show (if I choose to do it again) as it is coming up fast (May 17th), and don't really have a car lined up to polish onsite, and don't have a generator or big enough booth

Zach, your idea is very interesting. To polish the hood would be a great undertaking. This hood is JUNK!, but was the best I could find. It sat in the elements for the best part of 10 years. The window in the middle is the "best spot" on the hood (without early signs of failure, bad rockchip, descent orange peel (which I wet sanded), and not too much pinholes)

zmcgovern45
05-07-2014, 11:40 AM
I may have to consider this for a different show (if I choose to do it again) as it is coming up fast (May 17th), and don't really have a car lined up to polish onsite, and don't have a generator or big enough booth

Yeah I wouldn't personally worry about an onsite demo at an outdoor event... too much work.

I would just try to show off your paint correction abilities and also highlight premium paint coatings as much of the market is still very unaware of these products.

Wed Turner
05-07-2014, 11:42 AM
At the very least I would suggest doing a larger section of the hood. I also like the suggestion of bringing water to show the effectiveness of coatings and how they bead the water and make it easier to clean the next time. If you use waterless washes you could demonstrate those products as well on the cleaned side of the hood.

GreatAvalon
05-07-2014, 11:44 AM
A car in a 10x10 booth would be cramped.

I like zmc's suggestion.

zmcgovern45
05-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Zach, your idea is very interesting. To polish the hood would be a great undertaking. This hood is JUNK!, but was the best I could find. It sat in the elements for the best part of 10 years. The window in the middle is the "best spot" on the hood (without early signs of failure, bad rockchip, descent orange peel (which I wet sanded), and not too much pinholes)

You could simply apply the coating to that area then.

parttimer
05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I would bring Sham-Wows and some pocket hoses to sling....

I would do like Mike has shown himself doing at shows. Take some sand paper, work it on the test panel and correct it. If needed rent a small generator.

Dr_Pain
05-07-2014, 11:57 AM

I am with you that the noise would attract attention, however don't really want to do onsite demo's (unless I was just working on my truck). I have 3 cars that have been customers and they will park closeby to "promote". I just want to have a descent presence and "informational booth"

Yeah I wouldn't personally worry about an onsite demo at an outdoor event... too much work.

I would just try to show off your paint correction abilities and also highlight premium paint coatings as much of the market is still very unaware of these products.

I think I failed to mention it but the center section was coated with CQuartz Finest, and I will have brochures and a small Finest banner with me (along with my Autogeek one)

At the very least I would suggest doing a larger section of the hood. I also like the suggestion of bringing water to show the effectiveness of coatings and how they bead the water and make it easier to clean the next time. If you use waterless washes you could demonstrate those products as well on the cleaned side of the hood.

A larger section is almost out of the question for the reasons I mentioned before. It is a junkyard find, so I am capitalizing that they will see the skills required to bring this "junk" back to life. I will be demonstrating the coating with APC, water etc... (thank you guys for the suggestion). I will have a sampling of wax as "eye candy" which I could use to demonstrate that they do not offer chemical resistance (compared to coatings).

:iagree:
Get a black car that is a swirled out mess and do half the car. Then during the show actually work on the other half. The noise of the polisher running will bring people to you wondering what you are doing. Then having people around the setup will bring in more people.

I would do a baggie test with people, show the decontamination, and then polish the area. Work in small sections so you can do that numerous times.

A 50/50 on a swirled black car would be KILLER, but I don't have one lined up and would not dare have a customer's car onsite with no real offered protection, no extension of my shop based insurance (I am not mobile), and I am too neurotic when I start working on a customer car, so would not really be available to chat, answer questions etc.. It is different if it was my truck, but my truck does not need to be polished or coated (already done).

The baggy test.... GREAT Idea!

JSou
05-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Awesome suggestions.

Dr_Pain
05-07-2014, 12:02 PM
I would bring Sham-Wows and some pocket hoses to sling....

I would do like Mike has shown himself doing at shows. Take some sand paper, work it on the test panel and correct it. If needed rent a small generator.

I would do that if it was a good hood. I litterally know nothing of this hood, except the extrapolation that it was repainted having thickness of 170-190+ throughout. I also know that it was BADLY painted with pinholes and ripples and orange peel which would make an orange throw up.

I am not sure that I want to have a demo booth. I guess I will be a better judge of what a detailer can/should do once I actually am at the show.

If I was invited to be a "product booth" then I will FOR SURE bring a box of ShamWow and pocket hose!! :xyxthumbs:

trekkeruss
05-07-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm thinking of the many times I go to fairs, festivals, and whatnot. JMHO, you need to demonstrate something to draw interest to your booth. Otherwise you will just have a lifeless display that people will glance at and walk on by. I know that's what I do when I see most booths that are just displays.

The other thing you might do would be some kind of game or hands-on detailing thing people can do at your booth.