PDA

View Full Version : Paint Correction Questions

can2011
05-07-2014, 10:11 AM
So I am attempting my first major paint correction project (well, major for me anyways). I am armed with:

Riccardo yellow detailing clay with clay luber,
PC 7424XP,
CCS Orange mild cut pads (X 6)
PoorBoys SSR 3,
CCS white polishing pads, (X 6)
PoorBoys Professional Polish,
CCS Green polishing / finishing pads, (X 6)
PoorBoys EX Sealant.
Patience and a little luck..... (unlimited)

The plan here is to use these products in the order that they appear above. My main question is "Based on the photos, am I set up for success?" We all say start "less aggressive and move to the more aggressive side only if requried". I agree.

Question: I am wondering if I am wasting my efforts and should just move to the yellow CCS pads. I am sure the surface suffers from oxidization and not clear coat failure - its a neglected 1999 Toyota Corrolla. Currently conducting the week long "polish test" of a small area and see how the area turns out (Thanks to Mike Phillips for that - you are a wealth of knowledge!! )

Question: Any feedback regarding the PoorBoys SSR 3 product. I have no experience with the PoorBoy line of products so any and all feedback is welcome.

Question: Is the PoorBoy's SSR 3 a little too aggressive for use with the orange pads ?

I will be doing a 2 X 2 test spot using the "start to fininsh" steps to confirm the outcome.

Any comments / suggestions are much appreciated. If I am "right out to lunch" I will need to know that part too. :caflag:
Thanks.

Desertnate
05-07-2014, 10:31 AM
I've not used the Poorboys polishes, but the SSR1 might be a better choice to finish out after using either 3 or 2.5. While people have raved about Pro Polishe's flexibility, I've always used it as a "maintenance polish" type product and not a "finishing off a major correction" type polish that would follow usage of a compound.

chet31
05-07-2014, 11:13 AM
I've used PoorBoy's products w/ a PC7424 (not the XP) w/ Lake Country pads (not CCS). No, the SSR3 with an LC orange pad is not super aggressive with a PC. My experience, in fact, was that I wanted more cut than I got, then again, I have hard clear coat. With LC pads, I prefer the orange pad for cutting over the yellow. I find the LC yellow pad more susceptible to bogging down. The orange pad just spins better. I don't know if CCS pads are the same.

Of course, the results of your test spots are the key. Good luck!