PDA

View Full Version : Classic Porsche Carrera fix up

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
05-07-2014, 09:43 AM
My neighbor asked me If I could fix up his car. He had it detailed once, but I guess it got so dirty so fast that he wanted it done again. I was unable to get alot of pictures as I needed to keep working alot. Wheels were cleaned with a 10:1 mixture of meguiars non acid wheel, tires were shined with optibond. Car was then foam and scrubed with a wash mitt. Clay was done with nanoskin and a 20:1 mixture of zep citrus. The car was not too bad, but there were some semi rough patches. A coat of collinite 476 was later applied. I did not do a correction as swirls were minor and the paint looked a little thin. I quickly vaccumed the interior and then used mothers protectant on the dash and v7 sealent on the glass. It was different learning on a classic car, but I think I did the best I could with he condition the car was in

imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com/RQeKJ0U&PbKKLHG&OrqZfle)

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Wait a minnit--all that discussion of how to polish white SS paint...and then you didn't? The tires area shiny, the rest of the car I can't tell. Glad it worked out for you.

allenk4
05-07-2014, 01:34 PM
My neighbor asked me If I could fix up his car. He had it detailed once, but I guess it got so dirty so fast that he wanted it done again. I was unable to get alot of pictures as I needed to keep working alot. Wheels were cleaned with a 10:1 mixture of meguiars non acid wheel, tires were shined with optibond. Car was then foam and scrubed with a wash mitt. Clay was done with nanoskin and a 20:1 mixture of zep citrus. The car was not too bad, but there were some semi rough patches. A coat of collinite 476 was later applied. I did not do a correction as swirls were minor and the paint looked a little thin. I quickly vaccumed the interior and then used mothers protectant on the dash and v7 sealent on the glass. It was different learning on a classic car, but I think I did the best I could with he condition the car was in

imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com/RQeKJ0U&PbKKLHG&OrqZfle)

How did you decide on this ZEP Citrus as a clay lube?

Bill1234
05-07-2014, 02:43 PM
How did you decide on this ZEP Citrus as a clay lube?

I heard some others on the social media site reddit used it. It works well and has almost no strength to it. I tried car soap before and it mars the finish too much

goldendodo19
05-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Wait a minnit--all that discussion of how to polish white SS paint...and then you didn't? The tires area shiny, the rest of the car I can't tell. Glad it worked out for you.

Honestly are you surprised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill1234
05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Honestly are you surprised?

Golden, my point was, the paint looked like it was in very bad shape. Why risk going with correcting paint when it looked very thin

swanicyouth
05-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Golden, my point was, the paint looked like it was in very bad shape. Why risk going with correcting paint when it looked very thin

How can you tell paint looks thin? Can you see primer in areas?

Bill1234
05-07-2014, 06:11 PM

lots of the paint was chipped, especially on the mirrors. Also, above the rear wheels was a white color that was much different than the rest of the car

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2014, 07:00 PM
C'mon Bill, not even a paint cleaner? He's your neighbor, after all!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html?highlight=paint+cleaner

goldendodo19
05-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

Bill the biggest gripe I have is you always ask for info on here and get plenty of it. Yet you never seem to want to act on it.

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Bill the biggest gripe I have is you always ask for info on here and get plenty of it. Yet you never seem to want to act on it.

Bill, have you ever gotten to actually polish any of these cars you detail? They all seem to turn into wash-and-wax jobs, despite all the polishing advice you get beforehand.

Heisenberg
05-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Zep Citrus explicitly says on the bottle it's not safe for automotive paint. I know diluting it mitigates the strength significantly, but I don't understand using something that has any risk to it when you can just use car wash soap or something like ONR that provides just as much lubricity. If you were that concerned about the paint condition I'm surprised you would opt to use a degreaser as a clay lubricant. Maybe some others can chime in.

Something I dug up in another thread that sounds correct to me(about Zep Citrus, specifically):

My buddy uses it, I came over and used it to strip my lsp, damaged the trim around my brand new headlights, I would never use it personally

Kyle_Elantra
05-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Yes, please don't use that as a clay lube.

You get a LOT of GREAT advice from here.
Reddit may not be the best place to get detailing advice...especially after getting a LOT of GREAT advice from Autogeek.

Klasse Act
05-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Exactly my thoughts.

This is very true, I.e. the Michelin tire thread. Btw, how are the tires doing? Citrus cleaner as a clay lube, sorry, never heard of doing that but then again I've got so much rinseless wash I would never even think of using anything but that.

Good luck with that!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Bill1234
05-09-2014, 12:09 PM
the only reason I have resorted to using zep citrus is that every clay lube is very expensive. I was thinking about trying out onr