PDA

View Full Version : Best WOWO Wax for durability

Pages : [1] 2 3

southernman
05-07-2014, 08:57 AM
I hope this is the correct forum for this post, I was thinking of placing it in the Product Reviews thread where I was getting some information that helped me with this.

Here is my situation:

I want a solid wax that is Wipe on/wipe off but has the best durability. Reason being, I do not own a garage, and typically, I take my two cars to a coin wash and use a dual bucket method. Then I dry them and wax them in the bay, usually early in the morning before it gets too hot because I live in South Carolina so the heat mid-day is unbearable to do any of this outside.

We are using Pinnacle Souveran at the moment, which I'm very impressed with as far as looks and ease of use (wipe on wipe off allows me to quickly wax and remove so I can get out of the bay). My wife actually helps with her new car so we cut the time in half with her waxing and me buffing. The problem is, the Souveran it is not very durable and seems to last only a few weeks, which seems to be its characteristic since I believe it is a show wax?

Some other choices that I have found by looking through the forums as far as ease of use and WOWO seem to be:

P21S 100% Carnauba
Pinnacle Signature Series II
DP Max Wax

I was wondering if any of these three choices will provide longer durability along with their wipe on/wipe off ease of use? These cars unfortunately are not garaged, and they are daily drivers so they are exposed to the heat and elements. Maybe I am expecting too much out of a wipe on wipe off wax? Maybe I just have to wax it every three weeks? I suppose ease of use might come at a price because there isn't any hazing or bonding to the paint which might extend the durability. Any advice would be good as far as the above mentioned waxes, or some other recommendation would be great. I would appreciate your help.

dpk20x
05-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Collinite 915 is what you need.

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2014, 09:10 AM

I would say 845. The other waxes you have listed would, like Souveran, be considered "beauty" waxes, with longevity not being their primary characteristic.

Since you are a Pinnacle fan, you might want to consider using the new Pinnacle Black Label Coating, it might be just what you are looking for:

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-paint-coating.html)

RTexasF
05-07-2014, 09:14 AM

I agree and add that the surface must be perfectly clean to get the durability it offers. Applying it on top of what is already there will lead to disappointment. Strip it down to bare paint. Apply it so thin that you have to strain your eyes to see if it is actually there or removal will be quite the project.

dpk20x
05-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Another good one you might want to consider is optimum spray wax. Great looks and super easy to apply. Takes like an extra 5 minutes or so at the end of your wash and has pretty good durability for a spray.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
05-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Why not go the paint sealant route then top with a WOWO wax as you see fit? This would net you longer lasting protection, especially being outside. I have used Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax with great longevity for what its worth. Its a WOWO.

CDot
05-07-2014, 09:34 AM
I would say 845. The other waxes you have listed would, like Souveran, be considered "beauty" waxes, with longevity not being their primary characteristic.

Agreed. Although a coating might be best protection-wise, you're not gonna be able to apply/cure in ideal conditions (in a garage). So an easy sealant/good wax is probably your best bet. Since you have the cars outside all the time, I would think durability/protection + ease of application should be the top concerns.

The Optimum Spray Was is also a good recommendation if you're looking at ease of application. You might wanna take a look at CarPro's Reload as well, it can--according to their website--can be applied to a wet or dry car + it can be applied to rubber/plastic/glass.

cleanmycorolla
05-07-2014, 09:38 AM
How come everyones answer is always collinite? not saying its wrong, but the guy is using souveran, why would he downgrade to something that will not look as good? just thinking out loud.

southernman
05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
I appreciate the advice from everyone. I see that sealants are being recommended here and I thought those were completely out of the question since I believed they had to have a long period of time to haze and remove and that heat or any elements outside would be a problem for their application? I think I remember the Wolfgang being 45 minutes or so, which would be entirely too long to wait. There are easy to remove sealants that setup in just a few minutes like the waxes I mentioned above? That would definitely be preferable if there aren't many easy/quick to remove paste waxes that have durability like sealants.

RTexasF
05-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Now that I bothered to research, both Collinite recommendations are good but neither has the max durability Collinite offers. That would be this one:

Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-super-doublecoat--wax-476.html)

Direct from Collinite's site-----
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/fgf001/SNAG-14050709375500_zps997409db.jpg

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2014, 09:46 AM
I appreciate the advice from everyone. I see that sealants are being recommended here and I thought those were completely out of the question since I believed they had to have a long period of time to haze and remove and that heat or any elements outside would be a problem for their application? I think I remember the Wolfgang being 45 minutes or so, which would be entirely too long to wait. There are easy to remove sealants that setup in just a few minutes like the waxes I mentioned above? That would definitely be preferable if there aren't many easy/quick to remove paste waxes that have durability like sealants.

You are describing a WOWA (wipe on, walk away) sealant, such as Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal, and Blackfire Crystal Seal. Some of the coatings, like the Pinnacle Black Label, and the Detailer's Paint Coating (as well as some others I believe) also have these characteristics.

RTexasF
05-07-2014, 09:49 AM
How come everyones answer is always collinite? not saying its wrong, but the guy is using souveran, why would he downgrade to something that will not look as good? just thinking out loud.

Did you even read his post? He is looking for a WAX with more durability that what he has been using. Collinite is hardly a downgrade and offers durability second to none in the wax world.

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Did you even read his post?

I don't know if this is from everyone surfing on their phones, or whether "ain't nobody got time for that" reading the post stuff, but it seems to happen a lot where members gloss over the original post, answer a question that wasn't asked, then more members chime in based on what the first response was, and before you know it the OP has 3 pages of responses that aren't answering his question.

Not saying that happened in this case, but sometimes it's frustrating.

southernman
05-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Ok so WOWA sealants is an item I'm not familiar with so I can research those, I was only familiar with (slightly) paint sealants which I understood to be needing conditions conducive to their specific application (no sun, heat, ample time to setup, etc.)

As far as the Collinite, doesn't it have a reputation for being hard to remove? I didn't realize it was wipe on/wipe off when I was looking at the 845 and 915 earlier this week.

swanicyouth
05-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Me thinks Collinite(s) are not WOWO LSPs. My experience with 915 is it has to haze, although it does happen quite quickly.

So, to answer the OPs question the best I can, I'd have to recommend Fuzion or BF Midnight Sun. Both have polymers, so they will outlast Souverän.

All are a easy to use.