PDA

View Full Version : The "What products/polishers and process did you use on that expensive ride" post

Quality Control
05-06-2014, 07:19 PM
So as I sit here and read all these wonderful stories of great detailers mastering the profession on very high priced cars, I often wonder (if not stated) what products did they use? Pad selection, which polisher did they like best and what process did they follow.

Although some of you do go through details, I am fascinated as I want to treat my car like its worth $50,000+. I really love to treat my wife to a shiny ride and she loves it just the same.

So for all you guys and gals detailing these amazing cars, do tell as I am sure many of us would LOVE to know!

You may post pictures and give us a run down as I am sure many of us weekend warriors would live a good read.

BobbyG
05-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Today I started detailing a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner. The car is in nice shape but the finish does need quite a bit of work.

The car was repainted 20 years ago. It's a single stage paint and is somewhat dry in spots although the sides appear in much better shape...

I'll be doing a separate writeup with all the products, pads, machines, and the like when I'm done....:props:

6supersport7
05-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I did a Toyota Avalon today, probably worth under 3 grand. I have a 80,000+ Jaguar I'm doing Thursday. Guess what, same polisher, pads, chemicals, etc.. for the most part will be used on the Jag as I did on the Toyota. I use whatever works best in the situation, value of the car doesn't change much of what I use.

EVOlved
05-06-2014, 09:19 PM
I did a Toyota Avalon today, probably worth under 3 grand. I have a 80,000+ Jaguar I'm doing Thursday. Guess what, same polisher, pads, chemicals, etc.. for the most part will be used on the Jag as I did on the Toyota. I use whatever works best in the situation, value of the car doesn't change much of what I use.

And this is how you make a living detailing every car should be treated the same. Because the car that is worth only 5k may get you more referrals than the car that sits locked up in the guys garage..

FUNX650
05-06-2014, 10:45 PM
So as I sit here and read all these wonderful stories of great detailers mastering the profession on very high priced cars, I often wonder (if not stated) what products did they use? Pad selection, which polisher did they like best and what process did they follow.

Although some of you do go through details, I am fascinated as I want to treat my car like its worth $50,000+. I really love to treat my wife to a shiny ride and she loves it just the same.

So for all you guys and gals detailing these amazing cars, do tell as I am sure many of us would LOVE to know!

You may post pictures and give us a run down as I am sure many of us weekend warriors would live a good read.
I realize some folks have various reasons for not sharing
their products/processes...So be it.

Myself? I don't do many Show 'n Shines...
Unless they're somehow incorporated into a another thread topic.

Here's one example of my "sharing", from the below thread.
(Sorry: The machine (PC 7424XP)/pads (LCs) selection are listed elsewhere.)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/55224-saw-some-two-fisted-junk-man-paducah-ky.html

Which sealant?
3M?
Any spritzes or sprays?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Happy detailing...:autowash:

-Thanks for asking, VT; and: Thankfully, the monsoon rains removed a lot of
contaminates from the drive down to Paducah!!

-I must admit that, due to the timing of this 'planned-get-away',
most of the following was rather hastily done (not my style :D)...

-As for the:

-PPF'd surfaces...
a.) Pre-trip: XPel's Dedicated Sealant
b.) At Show: The Turtle's: Synthetic Detail Spray

-Painted Surfaces...
a.) Pre-trip:
1. Once around with 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze...MS wipe-down
2. Once around with WGDGPS
3. Once around with Meg's #26 (including a chilled-distilled 'water treatment' 8 hrs. later)
b.) At Show (except for the rear clip):
1. Meg's UQD/Klasse HGSG @ 8oz:1/2oz ratio
2. Rear Clip: 50/50 mix Meg's UQD/Distilled Water...
Followed by "The Optimum Car Wax"(<<<Thanks again VT!!...Gotta get me a jug or two)

-Tires, rear valence, front air dam, engine bay (hoses, fuel rail covers, etc.), moldings, etc....
a.) Pre-trip: 303AP
b.) At Show: 303AP

-What Little 'Bright-work'...
a.) Pre-trip:
1. Wheels...Sprayway to clean...Then, Simichrome
2. Exhaust...Sprayway to clean...Then, Simichrome
3. Under hood...Mother's Aluminum Polish (Procharger & its 'accessories')
b.) At Show...Same as a.) above

-Glass Areas...
a.) Pre-trip: Sprayway and Meg's D120
b.) At Show: Same as...a.) above

-Leather Areas...
a.) Pre-trip: LeatherMasters
b.) At Show: Slightly dampened, white MF towel

-My apologies...if I've inadvertantly left something out.

Note:
@OP...Please be aware that I now shall be keeping more abreast of your future postings, assured that I'll soon be reading of your "Show 'n Shines"!

Bob

Quality Control
05-07-2014, 06:13 AM
I realize some folks have various reasons for not sharing
their products/processes...So be it.

Myself? I don't do many Show 'n Shines...
Unless they're somehow incorporated into a another thread topic.

Here's one example of my "sharing", from the below thread.
(Sorry: The machine (PC 7424XP)/pads (LCs) selection are listed elsewhere.)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/55224-saw-some-two-fisted-junk-man-paducah-ky.html

Note:
@OP...Please be aware that I now shall be keeping more abreast of your future postings, assured that I'll soon be reading of your "Show 'n Shines"!

Bob

I totally understand why some masterful detailers or people doing their own thing might not want to share, and that is OK. I know there are various situations where maybe they are developing a product for resale or have a special procedure. In any event, this thread was intended for all us weekend warriors or fanatics who love to detail and want to gain knowledge.

I will now open this up to everyone $500-$5,000,000 rides. Maybe I was in the wrong to limit this to high end cars. I guess that is my biggest fascination due to the liabilities which make it so challenging.

Here is my recent start. Had 3 hours total from start to cleanup (during my little guys nap)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-polishers/80003-look-what-showed-up-today.html

Process on 2013 Kia Sorento:

1. Two bucket wash with Meg's soap and dry with Dehydrator
2. Nanoskin Autoscrub fine grade and Nano glide whole car
3. Rupes LHR21 with yellow polishing pad and Keramik polish
4. Rupes LHR21 with White finishing pad using Duragloss 601+105 (mixed 1:4)
5. Quick application of Duragloss Aquawax

Please link your threads to this one if you feel comfortable so we can reference. I love trying out different ideas and products.