PDA

View Full Version : Out of town Concours detail

Pages : [1] 2

casvg5
05-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Hey guys!

So my team and I have been contacted to travel to Dallas Texas to concours detail a rare car for the owner. He will be shipping it to California after to enter a show.

The car is a very rare 1991 BMW, owned by a certain celebrity known to collect them who's recently passed.

I figured, as we prepare to make this trip, we might as well throw up a thread on here and take any suggestions and such on things not to forget, etc. This is our first venture like this and it is a couple hundred miles from home.

The owner has a lift in his garage that the car will be on. Plenty of working space, so that's a non issue. We will be detailing the car from top to bottom.

One thing I would like some input on, and hopefully mike can shed some light on this. The owner says this is single stage paint, 1991 E30 BMW. Is that correct? If so, I'd like to meet him at his house the evening before and condition the paint. What are the best options for that?

We will be bringing all of our portable equipment and supplies, our air supply, etc.

We would really like to nail this car for the customer and hope some of you can shed some light on this for us!

dfoxengr
05-06-2014, 09:44 AM
It is likely single stage, but what color is it to confirm? Mike has a thread on meguiars #7 for use on single stage, to do what you want.

casvg5
05-06-2014, 10:15 AM
It is likely single stage, but what color is it to confirm? Mike has a thread on meguiars #7 for use on single stage, to do what you want.

It is red. Hope mike can chime in!

casvg5
05-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Really hoping for some input on the conditioning, as well as a good idea as to which polishes I might need to have on hand.

Pureshine
05-06-2014, 03:02 PM
If it has not been repaint it should be single stage paint. Do a test spot and see how it turns out and go from there. Make sure you take some readings before polishing and if you don't have a paint meter get one.

casvg5
05-06-2014, 04:09 PM
If it has not been repaint it should be single stage paint. Do a test spot and see how it turns out and go from there. Make sure you take some readings before polishing and if you don't have a paint meter get one.

....that's sort of elementary information. Sorry, I know that much, that wasn't at all my question

Pureshine
05-06-2014, 06:29 PM
I'm so confused by this post really! You have a team for detailing but don't know what to bring or do! If your not sure of what your doing you shouldn't be doing rare cars then really. If you have no experience with single stage paint and this is your first time doing single stage paint this is not the car to learn on!

HD.Detailing
05-06-2014, 06:53 PM
most likely a paint cleaner, but treated the same a cc.. bring more pads then you think you need, PTG, tape edges, test spot

RawDetail
05-06-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm so confused by this post really! You have a team for detailing but don't know what to bring or do! If your not sure of what your doing you shouldn't be doing rare cars then really. If you have no experience with single stage paint and this is your first time doing single stage paint this is not the car to learn on!

I agree

Gsrjake
05-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Come down to San Antonio, I'll take care of you :)

casvg5
05-07-2014, 08:41 AM

most likely a paint cleaner, but treated the same a cc.. bring more pads then you think you need, PTG, tape edges, test spot

I agree

Come down to San Antonio, I'll take care of you :)

My question was, what would be my best options for conditioning THIS paint before polishing. Single stage paint benefits from being conditioned 12 or so hours before polishing. There's no need for insults.

Yes I have a team, and a 3500sq ft shop, the second most trafficked shop in Houston, Tx. But we do not do on site concours detailing (undercarriage, etc). To be outside of the shop and 100's of miles away from our normal working space brings a lot of new elements into the game. Obviously I know what we should bring, but Im not above asking those that do this specific type of work for any tips. Maybe there are some things I've not even though of that would be handy to have away from the shop. Maybe someone has experience polishing this massively rare car.

I wasn't coming clueless here, Im just not above asking questions to fully prepare myself and my team before digging into a 1 of 3 car titled in Paul Walker's name.

casvg5
05-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Since I guess our experience is being called into question here, here are some highlights of the past month or so here at Clarity

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/77047-finished-rides-clarity.html

RTexasF
05-07-2014, 09:31 AM
This thread has information in detail from Mike for single stage paint and products used. It's lengthy but will provide you with all you need to know prior to departure....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/77052-detailing-1954-chevy-bel-air.html

dcjredline
05-07-2014, 09:32 AM
I dont think you get what others are saying. Someone made a suggestion and you just blew him/her off basically saying "I already know that" that turns people off like you think your so great why ask for help and put down who helps you.

Any way here is the article that others have tried to get you to go look at and you seem to have just ignored and kept asking questions.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/77052-detailing-1954-chevy-bel-air.html

casvg5
05-07-2014, 09:41 AM
I dont think you get what others are saying. Someone made a suggestion and you just blew him/her off basically saying "I already know that" that turns people off like you think your so great why ask for help and put down who helps you.

Any way here is the article that others have tried to get you to go look at and you seem to have just ignored and kept asking questions.

sorry, he told me to do a test spot and go from there....don't we do that every time? Didn't mean to come off rude, but its not like I was going to take a rotary to a 1 of 3 car in the world without testing. I thank you for your input. Was primarily looking for maybe some small unforeseen things of doing on site detailing. We have the luxury of a massive work space, air, washing station, lamps, etc etc at the shop, but on site is different. Sure I can take my best stab at bringing what I think we need, and could probably pull it off without issue on our own, but, I figured I'd ask. I guess I shouldn't have.

The link you posted was the one I recalled looking at a while ago but could not relocate. Thank you.