PDA

View Full Version : Understanding PTG readings?

Pages : [1] 2

parttimer
05-05-2014, 08:24 PM
What is a "healthy" coating of paint? I got my unit in the mail and decided to test it on my two vehicles in the garage tonight. Subject #1 is a 2013 Ram 1500, deep cherry in color. Using the mils setting I saw a range of 7-9 mils. I then tested it on my 2012 Chrysler 300 in black. Those readings were between 4-6 mils. Switching to microns the RAM saw 184-244 and the 300 was 98-124. From what I have seen 2-3 mils is good? I have polished the 300 a few times but I couldn't believe the truck was almost twice as thick.

jamesboyy
05-05-2014, 08:58 PM
From what I learned anything above 6 mils is healthy paint anything lower than six take caution

05-05-2014, 09:13 PM
What is a "healthy" coating of paint? I got my unit in the mail and decided to test it on my two vehicles in the garage tonight. Subject #1 is a 2013 Ram 1500, deep cherry in color. Using the mils setting I saw a range of 7-9 mils. I then tested it on my 2012 Chrysler 300 in black. Those readings were between 4-6 mils. Switching to microns the RAM saw 184-244 and the 300 was 98-124. From what I have seen 2-3 mils is good? I have polished the 300 a few times but I couldn't believe the truck was almost twice as thick.

Which PTG are you using?

What are the measurements in the door jambs?

It was suggested to use the door jamb readings as a base number since they don't receive clear coat...

Riff
05-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Jambs don't get clear coat? I thought the clear is what gave the shine. The paint itself is not glossy. My jambs are very glossy.

swanicyouth
05-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Jambs get clear coat.

05-05-2014, 10:30 PM
I give up, first a member shares they don't then another members shares they do. HELP!!!

jamesboyy
05-05-2014, 10:35 PM
I give up, first a member shares they don't then another members shares they do. HELP!!!

My suggestion would be to get a polish or paint cleaner and rub the door jam(after cleaning it) to see if any theirs any paint transfer cause some door jams are clear coated while other are not....just my thoughts

05-05-2014, 10:42 PM
My suggestion would be to get a polish or paint cleaner and rub the door jam(after cleaning it) to see if any theirs any paint transfer cause some door jams are clear coated while other are not....just my thoughts

I personally don't mess with my door jambs. When I first got my PTG, my readings of the door jamb area are significantly lower then all the readings on the rest of the car. Maybe its a one passover of cc who knows - at least on my car. But to put the mind at ease, next time I polish, I will check the door jambs.

Sorry OP if I shared misleading info. Dam it thats twice now in a week lol :dunno:

AutowerxDetailing
05-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Jambs don't receive *as much* clear as the main body panels. So if you measure the jambs that will give you a general "baseline" reading to work off of as a "too thin to polish" measurement for the rest of the car.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

05-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Jambs don't receive *as much* clear as the main body panels. So if you measure the jambs that will give you a general "baseline" reading to work off of as a "too thin to polish" measurement for the rest of the car.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

Thanks Nicholas :props:

parttimer
05-06-2014, 07:02 AM
I bought a knock off of the extech cg204 from the great auction house. I did a zero calibration test and then checked it against the films that were included. For the most part it was a few microns lower than the film was reported. I tried many different locations on each vehicle and went back and retested and measurements were the same. I will check the door jambs as well. I guess too many readings can't hurt! The 300 is a garage queen so i wanted to knock down some of the orange peel but wanted to make sure i had some working room without going to thin. I average about 5k on it per year. I am guessing there is not definitive answer on what is too thin?

Calendyr
05-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Have a look at this thread, it should answer pretty much all the questions you have:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/79669-paint-removal-while-wetsanding-compounding-polishing.html

Why this thing is not sticky is beyond me :(

parttimer
05-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Have a look at this thread, it should answer pretty much all the questions you have:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/79669-paint-removal-while-wetsanding-compounding-polishing.html

Why this thing is not sticky is beyond me :(

Excellent information, thank you! I won't be using 1500g as the denim and velvet pads are like 2000 and 3000 grit respectively. I am going to "try" the velvet first and see if I can knock down the majority of the peel and stay above 3 mils I should be be good?

zmcgovern45
05-06-2014, 11:14 AM
As Nicholas said... the 'door jam trick' is simply a tool that many of us use to try to gauge how much clear we have to work with. Typically the door jams have much less clear on them than the exterior body panels Note: I said typically because this is not always the case. This is just an estimate and by no means an exact science. Caution should be exercised regardless of readings as thickness may vary greatly throughout a vehicle.

The idea is to take several readings on the exterior panels to determine a relative average. Then take a few readings in the door jam to find a relative average. The difference between the two averages should be the approximate amount of clear you have to work with.

For example, if your exterior panels are in the 120 micron range, and your door jam is in the 60 micron range, you can assume you have at least 60 microns of clear to work with on most of the vehicle. This is far more than you would ever expect to remove with normal detailing practices.

parttimer
05-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks Zack, worse case i end up with single stage paint :)