PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend for exterior hard plastics?

SpringGroveTA
05-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Maybe this was addressed in a previous thread, so sorry if it's a repeat question. I just purchased a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee and it has a lot of gray plastic on the exterior. It's all lower on the body and around the wheel wells, front and rear fascia's, etc. What do you recommend to use on it? Something that will last for a decent amount of time? I really don't like the "glossy look" but will consider it if it lasts long. I have used 303 Protectant before (got a sample at a car show) and really liked it. I am leaning towards this, but maybe there is something else out there that I don't know about.
Thanks!

GS2011
05-05-2014, 02:35 PM
This works well: Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, tire & trim protectant, tire dressing, rubber protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html)

MarkD51
05-05-2014, 02:54 PM
My choice would probably be a durable coating product.

Products such as Carpro CQuartz DLX, or GTechniq C4.

Perhaps even their Paint Coatings could also be used to good effect, such as Carpro CQuartz, and GTechniq C1 or EXO.

I looked at some pics of the Cherokee, and these parts will take a beating over time, that pretty much all lesser products just won't protect as long.

Other products, such as mentioned above, such as Ultima Trim-Tire Guard, and other trim products from DP, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and a boat load of others will work much better than pretty much any off the shelf products, but still will not have the durability of the coatings I initially mention.

Seemingly pricey for the initial outlay of cash, but in the long run will probably prove much more economical.
Mark

SpringGroveTA
05-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Mark, I just looked at the CQuartz DLX and it looks like that might be a candidate....price I am not too worried about as long as it lasts. Yes, it will be my everyday driver so the plastic will take a beating for sure. It has already gotten "white" spots since I purchased it. I just use 303 on it and it looks good....if only temporary. Thanks

Kamakaz1961
05-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Try Black Wow. AGO sells it in 2 ounce and 4 Ounce bottles. It lasts for months

Another is Wolfgangs Trim in 4 ounce or 8 ounce

MarkD51
05-05-2014, 03:21 PM
I've used CQuartz DLX, and am currently still on the second bottle. Once you use this product, you'll be "searching" for every little piece of plastic you can find, and treat.

My Tahoe (pic in avatar) has quite a bit of cladding on the sides, bumper trim, all door-tailgate handles window trim, and I even yanked the entire Wiper Cowl and treated.

Prep is highly important, especially since you have applied some other protectants already. I've thought of this recently, and it is like "the three bears" when prepping such parts.

You don't want to overly aggressively clean and prep (meaning don't resort to full strength Alcohols, Prep Solvents, or All Purpose Cleaners) which could damage the finish on these parts, nor do you wish to inadequately clean-prep them either.

Perhaps a good prep product choice would be something like the CarPro Eraser product. Since it is suggested for use with their CQuartz Paint Coatings, I would imagine it would probably be also a wise choice for use with their Trim Restorer-Protectant DLX product as well. These coatings from CarPro all seem to come from the same family of Quartz Protectant Coatings, just some slight variations of ingredients I'd imagine.
Mark

MarkD51
05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Not long back, Todd Helme on the Autopia Forum (This forum's sister site-business) recently reviewed the GTechniq C4 Restorer product also.

His pics showed fantastic end results also.

GreatAvalon
05-05-2014, 05:00 PM
I have a 2013 RAV4 Limited. That thing has plastic all over it at the bottom. I've never used anything on it, (ESPECIALLY not 303!!!). Car was bought 7/13, and is garage kept. So far, the plastic hasn't faded, but for this summer I need to protect it.

303 on trim is horrible in my experience, and trust me, I am a 303 lover. Just not on cars. I use it like crazy on my boat.

So for the '13 RAV I ordered DLux. Unfortunately I bought from AG and it was back ordered without letting me know before I bought it. I need to apply this week.

Old Tiger
05-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Agree with CarPro!

GTPpilot
05-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Another vote vote Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. Stuff amazes me on all exterior plastic, rubber, etc.,. Lasts a LONG time.

Tato
05-05-2014, 05:15 PM
I use the coatings as well, PBL coatings (prefer using surface, but used paint, glass and wheel coating on trim with great results).

The 'secret' lies behind the cleaning you do on trim before protecting it.

This 'insight' came from a thread where Mike Phillips stated this (the importance of trim cleaning before protecting), and his trim looked like new just by the cleaning step.

That said, nowadays I'm more for a 'trim cleaner' than a protector, and for that I'm using Meg's #39 heavy duty cleaner and just ordered the Mothers Back-To-Black since it states to remove 'years of dirty', and it's what I generally face.

After the cleansing step, I apply the coatings cited above and water beads like crazy, also maintenance is very easy bringing back to showroom state after every wash.

I've also read great things about Dlux, but was not able to try it yet.

303 I 'love' (huhuhu) for interiors (dash, etc) but from feedback on this forum (and one more above) I avoid using it on exterior trim.

Kind Regards.

JHL88
05-05-2014, 05:41 PM
I can attest to UTTG+. Looks great and lasts a loong time

DLUX IMO looks even better, can't comment on the longevity though. I applied it to my moms' Honda Accord a 2 weeks ago when she came to visit and has already left. Im actually waiting to do my trim tomorrow with it.

OctaneGuy
05-05-2014, 05:45 PM
BlackWow Pro works great. Leaves a matte finish, not a shiny glossy one. Initial applications get 4-6 months, but successive applications will last even longer. Depending on where you are, it's common in SoCal where it shines more than it rains to get 8-12+ months per application.

While this isn't a Jeep Cherokee, you can see how it works on severely neglected Jeeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78SWXvoWOb0&list=UU7T6fhf_IEMwJWLSQnOtuKQ

You can use BlackWow Pro on the inside and as well as outside of a vehicle.

If you're on Facebook, check out our BlackWow Pro page
https://www.facebook.com/BlackWowPro

Richard

Maybe this was addressed in a previous thread, so sorry if it's a repeat question. I just purchased a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee and it has a lot of gray plastic on the exterior. It's all lower on the body and around the wheel wells, front and rear fascia's, etc. What do you recommend to use on it? Something that will last for a decent amount of time? I really don't like the "glossy look" but will consider it if it lasts long. I have used 303 Protectant before (got a sample at a car show) and really liked it. I am leaning towards this, but maybe there is something else out there that I don't know about.
Thanks!