PDA

View Full Version : Is This Clearcoat Failure On '13 Accord?

ousooner2
05-05-2014, 09:16 AM
As if this week hasn't been bad enough for me, I came across this while cleaning up the car this weekend. Planned a 1-stage polish with Wolfgang TSR and before I was starting to polish I was inspecting the paint, claying and came across this. It feels slightly rough to the touch and doesn't seem to come off with any type of QD or my ClayMagic clay. I haven't tried removal with a compound or slightly less aggressive polish, but I feel like I don't want to mess with it before taking it in. To me it looks pretty close to clear coat failure. What do you all think? One mention on another forum was it's possibly polish residue under sealant, but I thought I had stripped the area with my wash this weekend.

Is there a paint safe Meg's APC+ dilution that I could use to make sure it's stripped of an LSP and isn't residue from something?

http://i61.tinypic.com/10mo7i8.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2zdmzcg.jpg

DaveT435
05-05-2014, 09:19 AM
It's kind of hard to see. I would take it to the dealership and have them check it first since it's still under warranty. If you try to fix it yourself first they may try and blame you. Have you polished the car before? If so, what kind of machine, compound, polish did you use??

Tato
05-05-2014, 09:21 AM
I think no, but I'm afraid saying no... It looks ugly, it's true.

Fist, if you notice, the 'defect shown goes to start of other panel which may demonstrate it's not a kind of 'failure', but more of a Stain.

I suspect this is the gas fuel cap (hahah how do you call this!)?

It looks (from here) it's stained by whoever fueled this tank, I'd try to wash thoroughly, clay, and then a cleansing procedure at first.

Again, can't say if the stain was 'strong enough / corrosive' to start some failure on the clear coat, I'd try to remove it with topical approaches (like cited above), first.

Good luck, keep us updated.

ousooner2
05-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Alright guys. I'm home today as my daughter is sick so I went out to mess with it while she watches some cartoons lol and I think I removed it all. Yesterday I used clay and UWW+, but had ZERO luck. I just used Meg's APC+ 4:1, sprayed on the paint and let it dwell for 15 second followed by claying for about 15-20 second. I did this twice and then used UWW+ to remove the APC that might be left over and it seems to be gone. I have NO IDEA what it was and I haven't polished the car yet so it wasn't polishing residue.

CRyan
05-05-2014, 09:43 AM
I don't believe so. As stated above, clean it first (although I would skip the clay for the moment). I would then try to hand polish using a fine polish in one section prior to taking it to the dealer. The dealer may end up charging you if it is not a manufacturing problem - Not to mention the dealer may just make it worse.

Anyway, after hand polishing a small area, clean it again to get rid of any polish residue and let it dry completely. It should remain shiny. If not, step up to a heavier polish or cutting solution still in that one section.

GenesisCoupe
05-05-2014, 09:50 AM
I had a much smaller spot like that on my Genesis, a little bit of polish took it right out. It's like it happened from a swirlomatic that one time i took it..that ONE time...who knows, but it went away completely.