PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite AIO - with good cutting ability

Pages : [1] 2 3

98LowRanger
05-05-2014, 02:45 AM
I'm going to start doing detailing jobs part time soon. Due to wanting to keep prices low to attract customers and not being able to keep a car over 8 hours, I decided I needed an AIO cleaner wax/sealant to save time. I have a few black cars lined up and want to impress the customers as much as I can even though the price is fairly cheap. I was wondering what AIO cleaner wax/sealants you guys liked. Also which ones have the most cutting ability to remove light swirls/scratches (I realize it won't be as good as a multiple step polishing/compound process). Do you guys still recommend claying before applying the AIO? After applying the AIO with my Flex 3401 DA, should I apply a spray and wipe off sealant/finishing wax and if so which ones do you guys recommend?

DogRescuer
05-05-2014, 06:06 AM
[QUOTE= I was wondering what AIO cleaner wax/sealants you guys liked. Im using and like Meg 151. Also which ones have the most cutting ability to remove light swirls/scratches (I realize it won't be as good as a multiple step polishing/compound process). Do you guys still recommend claying before applying the AIO? 100%

DogRescuer
05-05-2014, 06:09 AM
[QUOTE= I was wondering what AIO cleaner wax/sealants you guys liked. B] Also which ones have the most cutting ability to remove light swirls/scratches (I realize it won't be as good as a multiple step polishing/compound process).
Im using and like Meg 151.

Do you guys still recommend claying before applying the AIO? [B]100%

Sorry

BobbyG
05-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Meguiar's D151 is sort of in a class of it's own. There's aren't many all-in-one products capable of correcting finish imperfections, most contain chemical cleaners.

Meguiar's D151 has the ability to correct, fills slightly, and leaves behind some level of protection....

Wash
Clay
Meguiar's D151

RPPM
05-05-2014, 06:10 AM
I prefer Poorboys Polish with Sealant. I have also picked up some Griots One Step Sealant, but have not been able to use it. I plan on trying this coming weekend.

The Poorboys PwS is very user friendly, and you can buy larger amounts of it directly from Poorboys. It has decent cut depending on the pad, can be used in full sun, and is trim friendly. Nice orange scent.

mwoolfso
05-05-2014, 06:33 AM
I'm going to start doing detailing jobs part time soon. Due to wanting to keep prices low to attract customers and not being able to keep a car over 8 hours, I decided I needed an AIO cleaner wax/sealant to save time. I have a few black cars lined up and want to impress the customers as much as I can even though the price is fairly cheap. I was wondering what AIO cleaner wax/sealants you guys liked. Also which ones have the most cutting ability to remove light swirls/scratches (I realize it won't be as good as a multiple step polishing/compound process). Do you guys still recommend claying before applying the AIO? After applying the AIO with my Flex 3401 DA, should I apply a spray and wipe off sealant/finishing wax and if so which ones do you guys recommend?

Always clay before you polish - unless you do not mind how much time you spend on the polishing step. This is what I have in my inventory:

1- Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax
2- Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze
3- Mothers Synwax FX
4- Pinnacle XMT 360
5- Meguiars D151
6- Klasse AIO
7- Wolfgang PPE
8- Mothers Pre-wax cleaner

I will use #1,2,3,4 on a lightly swirled vehicle where the client cannot tell (or does not mind) the swirling. Some of these have filling ability so whatever is seen will disappear.

I will use #5 when I want to add correction ability.

I will use #6,7,8 when the vehicle is relatively clear of swirls.

98LowRanger
05-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! Looks like Meguiar's D151 is the unanimous choice. Claying before ANY polish/sealant/compound makes sense.

My last questions are:

1) What kind of pad do you typically use to apply Megs D151 if your going after some correction?

2) When done applying Megs D151 or any AIO to the whole car is it good to go or do you seal it with a spray on wipe off product?

cleanmycorolla
05-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Megs White Wax and Poorboys Polish with Sealant

Tato
05-05-2014, 09:54 AM
From what I've experienced until now, claying is essential. If you're going to do an AIO just after, there's no need to be afraid of even slight clay marring that may come out easily on polishing step.

I'd use a nanoskin mitt or towel for the claying process if you're looking to gain some time at the end. Take advantage of vehicle being wet after washing, use soap as lube and clay it.

Then you dry and you'll have a clean and clayed surface (that'll look much better at the end) to polish over.

After the AIO, I like to use PBL Coating Booster (kind of spray wax), but it gives much better results than spray wax or sealants, since it's a 'spray-on coating'.

It costs ~$39, but if you get a coupon or promotion you can have this beauty for much less. A little goes a long way.

I've never used D151 but many say it's very good, so I trust the Autogeeks comments here.

I've used XMT360 and although it's not 'Perfect', it's very good.

Nowadays, my favorite AIO is Menzerna Power Protect Ultra (PP Ultra), unfortunately it cannot be find at AG (yet, because I've made campaign for they to start selling it), it's just a matter of time.

A so good (and quality) product by Menzerna (which is a brand they sell) cannot be kept off the AG top quality product list.

I top it with PBL Booster I've told above.

If you take a look at my recent Coatings testing experiment, you may see coating booster hanging there just like the more expensive coatings.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/80078-observing-pbl-coating-macro-microscopically-more.html

Also, you'll have a 'greater appeal' to customers since you'll be using a recent coating technology. At least here in Brazil this appeal is very strong.

To date, my AIO procedure is ~as follows:

- Thorough Rinse, Thorough Wash
- Nanoskin Clay
- Menzerna AIO (generally White Polishing Pad*)
- Coating Booster (takes ~5 minutes to apply to the whole finish).

(*may use orange pad for harder finishes, or even finishing pad for softer) - just do a test spot.

In some cases, I may do 2 times a section if not achieving results, or even some passes with light cutting pad then some passes with finishing pad. I know this is 2 steps that may 'kill the purpose' of AIO.

Generally, when needing 2 steps, I'd do a polishing step with a more powerful polish and then follow with the AIO to finish it out on a finishing pad.

The above shows 2 steps, but that would be at least 3 steps for dedicated LSP at the end.

The coating booster step I don't consider as a 'step', since (like I've said), it'll take 5 minutes to apply, enrich quality of your job and get customers by the appeal of a coating product.

I call the AIO proposed above finished with coating booster as "Coating Light Package".

The upgrade of this package may be a 'true' polishing step, and the Full Coating Package is where I'd include the 'true' coating application. It costs at least twice the Coating Light Package.

It's the fastest I can go while offering top notch quality.

Please, do not consider my comment literally, or the right (or wrong) way to do things. I'm just sharing some ideas for you to add to your knowledge, helping you to make better decisions on your search.

Another 'spray on' sealant that impressed me a lot was Wolfgang DG Spritz Sealant.

But, IMO, the coating booster is better.

Kind Regards.

dcjredline
05-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Im an XMT360 and D151 guy myself. Orange or White pad usually. TEST SPOT, TEST SPOT, TEST SPOT very very very important. Not every AIO works the same on every paint, sometimes you will find XMT does better than 151 and sometimes 151 is better so i wouldnt just buy 1 AIO because there will be times it wont do as good of a job as you may want.

Tato
05-05-2014, 10:29 AM
:iagree:, great tips.

:dblthumb2:

Saved by Grace
05-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Quick dumb question if you don't mind...

After an AIO do you use a MF or the DA with like a red pad for the spray wax?

Tato
05-05-2014, 10:51 AM
There's no such thing as dumb question.

For spray-on products I generally go with a towel.

Mist the towel to 'prime it'.

Mist the section and spread product over entire section.

Turn towel to soft side (or get a new one dedicated for this) and do the 'wipe off' with it.

I have a thread on a VW Kombi where I demonstrate this at the end, while using the coating booster:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/79141-01-vw-kombi-menzerna-aio-pbl-coating-booster-review.html

What amazed me in the booster (apart from it's quality protection) is the way it spreads EVEN, EASY and absolutely streak FREE.

Please, feel free to ask if you need any more info.

Kind Regards.

Saved by Grace
05-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Thank you Tato!

FUNX650
05-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Quick dumb question if you don't mind...

After an AIO do you use a MF or the DA with like a red pad for the spray wax?
Shouldn't need a spray wax...
An AIO already has a paint-sealer (Wax or Sealant) in it.

Bob