PDA

View Full Version : A good one-step/finishing Polish

ArtFoodBMW
05-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Does anyone use or know of a good polish to be used as a single step correction and a finishing polish to use after compounding? I'm thinking maybe Meg's 205 or optimum hyper polish?

If you have pictures too I'd appreciate it!

refreshauto
05-04-2014, 09:02 PM
What machine are you using, what pads do you have, how bad is the condition of the car? If you already have megs, try and stick with one system, they all work together to get better results.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

ArtFoodBMW
05-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Does the da polisher really have an influence on the polish? As far as pads, of use a blue or black one. I'm just trying to get a general idea to use on all or most of my customers cars.

Tato
05-05-2014, 10:20 AM
IMO polisher being used may influence on polish I'd chose, but that's truly not the only factor to consider.

I mean, I prefer to use Menzerna with Flex 3401, while I tend to test a spot with Meguiar's SMAT products / MF discs while using Meguiar's DA.

Menzerna may work good with both, but it may take even more time using a free spindle DA for you to make the better use of the abrasives throughout the whole polishing cycle.

Black and blue pad (if you're talking about LC Flat pads) are both finishing pads, being the Blue even lighter than the Gray/Black.

My favorite polish is Menzerna SF4000. It can be used in finishing pad for softer finishes (correcting defects!), or in White Polishing Pad for harder finishes / more defects being tackled. The finish you get from proper use of this polish is almost always the best one can get in most cases.

For several worst defects, I'd use Menzerna FG400 (a compound), and generally I use it with Orange pad, or white pad (prefer the Orange pad if I'm using the compound).

The Duo FG400 and SF4000 may cover mostly anything you'll face.

However, it's always good to have an 'in-between' product for intermediate defects, when FG400 would be too much, but SF4000 would be to little.

I have Menzerna PF2500 for that, but from what I'm experiencing, FG400 (which is harsher) finishes even better than PF2500...

PF2500 is more specific (IMO) than the other cited, since it will 'Work as 1-step' or 'Not Work as 1-step'... the others are more 'tweak-able' in my thoughts. Doing the test spot I got the answer really fast.

M205 from Meguiar's is a good finishing polish, and some are relating it can be used on MF discs (also the cutting one) as an One-Step polish with great correction and finishing abilities.

I'd prefer using MF discs on free spindle DAs (GG, PC, Meg's, and even the Rupes), while on the Flex I'd use MF as well, but prefer the Wool and Foam pads better.

Hope that gives you some general ideas,

Nothing I told above is a 'rule' or the only answer, many aspects may vary depending on car being worked on. Cannot stress enough the need for a test spot.

A great tip is finding what you like (and works), and use it often. For that, you may need to try many products... That's the FUN PART!

Kind Regards.

Pureshine
05-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I mostly use FG400 and D300 for 1steps they both finish nicely and are very easy to use. Doesn't matter what you use a test spot should always be done first.

JHL88
05-05-2014, 05:44 PM
On harder paint, like my Silverado, I use Menzerna SIP on a white polishing pad with great results. Finishes down nicely.

silverfox
05-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Without knowing anything about the paint its hard to dial in an answer other than to make general statements. On really soft paint its tough to find a one step that won't require a separate finishing step. The one I've discovered that works on just about any paint from compound to finish is HD Adapt, but some of the recommend polishes given here are pretty close.