PDA

View Full Version : So is Mothers Mag & Alum Polish the best all-around for a powerball?

TCB
07-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I just bought a powerball mini and I want to give it a try on some nasty wheels belonging on some family members. Some have chrome wheels, some polished alumimum, some coated...etc.

I have been doing some reading of the products here at AG (there are A LOT) of them, looking for a general all-purpose wheel polish safe for most all wheels tat I can use on the powerball.

Is Mothers™ Mag and Aluminum Polish the best bet or is there anoter I skipped over?

FMINUS
07-22-2007, 12:34 AM
I have:

NXT wheel polish
CG metal polish
DG metal polish
P21s metal soap (or whatever its called)

Honestly they all work VERY VERY similar to me and I cant tell the difference.....

Jimmie
07-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Before I ordered a tube of Rolite I checked out the Mothers metal polishes. The one that looked good was the Mothers Billet Polish but I didn't get it so haven't tried it.

Surfer
07-22-2007, 02:00 AM
I believe Wolfgang has a couple new polishes for chrome, alum etc. Talk to Scott (Killrwheels), he has good experience with different polishes being that his wheels are uncoated.

ScottB
07-22-2007, 07:05 AM
You hit the nail on the head in the starting post. You have some chrome and some aluminum wheels to work on. Each actually has a different polish and works best. So for a chome polish (Mothers, Flitz, Simichrome) or for Alumium (Mother Power Polish Aluminum, Mothers Billet, Rollite, and English Polishes) are best in class.

The Powerball and Mini are great starting points, and cannot believe they were not designed years ago !

blue oval
07-22-2007, 11:24 PM
I was interested in this product being I have polished aluminum rims. How well does it work? Would I still need to power ball after using this? Spray on, rinse off is almost to good to be true.

http://www.duragloss.com/products/DG_0551.jpg

Wolf-Strong
07-23-2007, 04:21 AM
I have both Mothers Mag/Alum polish and Meguiar's Hot Rims Mag/Alum.

I originally had Mother's and it works fantastic! It produces great results, and there is no doubting that. The one thing that bugged me though was that it isn't the most pleasant thing to work with. Used this for months and months, and then one day, I tried something completely different.

I then got Meguiar's and the first thing I noticed was the smell. Cinnamon instantly fills the air, and you can immediatly enjoy using it from there. It tends to be much less irritating if it touches your skin, and BOY does it work. Honestly, the margin between the two in how effective they are is so small, it almost isn't worth arguing over, but for the enjoyment of using it, I thought it was worth it.

Then, after tucking Mother's away for just a few months, I noticed something. It was RUINED! The Mother's product, after opened, will go bad VERY QUICKLY if not used often. Mine was coated in a gel-like skin and to say the least, I just threw it out. The Meguiar's if left out in the sun will melt a little, but will go right back to its original state. MUCH better shelf life.

I haven't tried NXT yet, but from what I have read, NXT is the dummy-proof product for incase someone doesn't know if they have coated or uncoated metal. Hot Rims is for uncoated metal or Chrome only. This also makes it a little more effective than NXT in its ability to polish, but again, you really can't go wrong with any of them. They all work, it is just a matter of preference.

For the ability to not go bad on you and be a pleasure to work with, I would go with Hot Rims by Meguiar's.

ScottB
07-23-2007, 06:03 AM
I was interested in this product being I have polished aluminum rims. How well does it work? Would I still need to power ball after using this? Spray on, rinse off is almost to good to be true.

http://www.duragloss.com/products/DG_0551.jpg

Duragloss makes one in a black bottle, especially for high polished aluminum, it does a nice job but polishing and protecting still is needed .

TCB
07-23-2007, 08:17 AM
So I take it Mothers Mag & Alum isn't an all purpose wheel cleaner/polisher? I am looking for a product that will let me clean just about any type of wheel.

I just dont see myself polishing enough wheels to justify the cost in purchasing 2 or 3 different types of polish for different types of wheels.

So perhaps the NXT is the best choice then to use on any type of wheel?

Wolf-Strong
07-23-2007, 03:05 PM
So I take it Mothers Mag & Alum isn't an all purpose wheel cleaner/polisher? I am looking for a product that will let me clean just about any type of wheel.

I just dont see myself polishing enough wheels to justify the cost in purchasing 2 or 3 different types of polish for different types of wheels.

So perhaps the NXT is the best choice then to use on any type of wheel?

Yes. Mother's can only be used on bare aluminum/mag/chrome. NXT can be used on any wheel surface.

TCB
07-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks all for the input so far. I see that I used an incorrect term thus confusing what I was looking for. I said "cleaner" when I meant to ask about a polish instead of a spray cleaner. I was hoping to find a product to use on my powerball that would polish out just about any kind of wheel. But after continuing to look/read that product doesn't seem to exist.

Identifying different types of wheels (other than chrome) is a big weak spot/? mark for me.
Again thanks to all for their input.