PDA

View Full Version : Should I be getting this much compound dust?

jta98z
05-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Hey guys! After months of reading and watching videos I finally decided I had enough knowledge to compound/polish my own car. I purchased some of Larry's AMMO products since I really like him and his videos. So I broke out my Griot's DA on my Z06 and some products. I started with a bottle of Griot's Machine Polish on the roof and holy cow! I felt like I was dry buffing in about 10 seconds and in that amount of time the whole car was coated in white dust. So I quickly ditched that and tried Larry's Leveling Fluid (compound) with a 5in Meg's Microfiber Cutting disc and immediately loved it. However, I started to notice that panels I had already completed were getting a little dusty, and I'm not really sure what I am doing wrong. I'm basing a lot of my technique off his videos. I don't feel like I'm using too much product. I generally put an X on the pad. I'm in the garage and the car is cool, and I definitely don't feel like I'm working it too long. Could this come from working it too little? I'm doing about what I generally see him do. Should I be cleaning the pad really well? At my current rate I have used 2 pads and the car is about 90% completed

The dust isn't horrible but I'm not really sure I want to put a polish pad on it without removing it. It's not visible but I can feel it. Doesn't seem smart to go polishing on grit. Is it normal to have to re-clean a car after compounding? I don't ever see him do it in his videos.

Any advice? Thanks guys!

swanicyouth
05-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Generally speaking, IME, the more aggressive the buffing fluid - the more dust it makes. However, this can var widely between brands. Usually, when you get a ton of dust, it means you are:

1. Using too much product

2. Dry buffing / extending the buffing cycle too long.

3. Using M105

I'm guessing you are working inside on cool panels? MF pads work best when they are primed and not "X'ed" in the beginning. Priming involves adding just enough buffing fluid to wet all the fibers. Then working it in and coating each fiber with your hands. After that, you should only need a few pea/dime size drops of product.

After each section you should clean your pads via a brush, compressed air, or a terry towel. This will remove "spent" buffing fluid - leading to less dusting and prevent the fibers from buffing matted. You can also blow some of the dust off your surface with compressed air or a Metro Sidekick. You can also use a waterless wash to wipe off the dust, or even a QD.

Justin at Final Inspection
05-04-2014, 09:00 AM
In my experience with most heavy compounds you will get dusting. Especially if you are doing the whole car. You should be cleaning the pad every couple panels or so to help.

If I have to compound a whole car I at minimum blow off most of the dust with my compressor if not give the car a wash before moving to final polishing.

DetailJunky1
05-05-2014, 07:22 AM
I hate dust. But it does happen. Too much product, definitely megs m105. The heat is a factor. Not a problem when working with polish, for me anyway.
What can you do to lower or avoid dust...

1) Work on a cool surface. Wet panel before buff. Work in small sections of about 12" by 12". Set up tent if possible. I know it is difficult to do this all the time. I notice my dust when working outdoors in direct sunlight. Sometimes working in direct sunlight is unavoidable, but we make due.

2) Fully Prime pad. then only use 2 pea size drops per 12" x 12" section. Should last a good 3-4 passes. Each pass consists of up down left right.

3) Buff/wipe off all remaining product. I spray a light spritz of rubbing alcohol & water mixture. (roughly 1 part rubbing alcohol, 9 parts water)

4) Clean pad. Not a full deep cleaning, but a quick once over. First remove the majority of dust with a spur, or whatever you have. Than, I like to run the machine and use a towel to quickly clean it off. takes 1 min.

If you still notice dust then give the pad 1 spritz of detail spray before buff. But manage it accordingly, especially if the panel is wet. With too much moisture the product will become to loose and drip and fly everywhere..

Troubleshoot the situation. Use your brain, make adjustments. See what works.

You must clean the dust off the car before continuing to your next step. Use a blower, or wash it. Don't risk anything. PAINT AWARENESS!!!

NOTE!!!! You must be patient. Anyone can learn to detail. We are not launching the space shuttle. But not everyone is patient. Patience is the difference between a detailer, and a cleaner. This process takes a very long time. Know this before starting your project. Happy detailing #DetailJunky

jta98z
05-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks a lot for the info guys. I think I'm figuring out my mistakes. 1. I didn't clean the pad after each section. 2. I believe I am using too much product. I never really primed the pads. I just squirted circles on and started going. Then on each subsequent section, I added the same amount of product as if I were priming the pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EVOlved
05-06-2014, 03:37 PM
You have your solution, prime the pad, only use a couple dots per section, and clean the pad often.

mankool
05-07-2014, 11:11 AM
I would second the opinion saying u should use a mf to clean with a light rubbing alcohol and water solution. Secondly, personally i noted that moistening the pad with water and then spinning it to let off excess water will help.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
I would second the opinion saying u should use a mf to clean with a light rubbing alcohol and water solution. Secondly, personally i noted that moistening the pad with water and then spinning it to let off excess water will help.

I give foam pads a spritz of quick detailer before I add more product. Helps a lot, especially with M105.