PDA

View Full Version : OptiCoat left over???

rolop6
05-04-2014, 08:45 AM
So I finally for to try this out Optimum OptiCoat last night on an actuall customers car. It was Brand spanking new 14' Nissan Altima, that she for with the plastic still on(and no dealership detailer touched).
I had to order the coating, so it was a week before I finally coated it last night.
It had no swirls, so I clayed very well with mild clay and pressure(to prevent marring), did bag test and when I was happy with the car, I sprayed down with alcohol solution, about 20:1.
So I had watched TONS AND TONS of videos on applications. I would say 90% of the videos said the same thing, so I went with what they usually said.
Prime pad with X, then small drops every application after.
So, anyway QUESTION. I applied Two thin coats like a some videos suggested and I had about 5cc left. It was a Nissan Altima, so did I apply enough or does that left over sound about right for a car that size.
I know that even with wax, thinner coats are better. I could see it going on the panels and flashing so, I think I did good. Car has a wet look to it and don't see any hi spots. Should I have had less left over? Sorry for the long post.

swanicyouth
05-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Sounds like you did it right. People have OC'ed cars with far less, but IMHO you don't want to skimp when applying OC. There is no reward for using less, other than a few $$$ of product you may save.

Only thing I'm not sure of is IPA 20:1.

Rayaz
05-04-2014, 09:05 AM
If you got 15cc on without high spots then you should be good. In fact, probably a little thick. I have done a small SUV with 5-6cc until I found out it's much harder to screw up than I feared.

Sherif
05-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Why two thin coats?!

VP Mark
05-04-2014, 09:20 AM
15 cc is a ton. Most cars I only use about 5-7cc. It should be well covered!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

rolop6
05-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Why two thin coats?!

One video I watched mentions it. they actually use two thinner coats vs one thick coat, that made sense to me so I rolled with it.
It could have been wrong but the car looked great! Looked at it this morning and it had a great just waxed wet look.

hernandez.art13
05-04-2014, 11:49 AM
One video I watched mentions it. they actually use two thinner coats vs one thick coat, that made sense to me so I rolled with it.
It could have been wrong but the car looked great! Looked at it this morning and it had a great just waxed wet look.

Yep that's how I see opti coat.the nice thing about opti coat is it will keep having that "just waxed look" for a while with proper care and maintenance.

I also like to use Optimum Spray Wax about once a month on top of opti coat. It adds gloss too!

And

In My Always Thinking Detailing Head, Protect CC with Opti Coat so then why not protect Opti Coat as well. Plus once a month is really easy to do and a bit of a nostalgic feeling when we use to wax cars. "Wax on, wax off"

:P

Sherif
05-04-2014, 03:50 PM

I've watched several application videos and many write ups on forums but I don't remember any of them recommended layering opti coat! I think the purpose is to ensure full coverage but it's not required or mentioned by the manufacturer...
Anyway you've successfully done it and no high spots, so enjoy it :)
I opti coated my Jeep 3 weeks ago and I love it! Very easy to clean, cut 1/3 to 1/2 of the time & effort of my weekly wash.