PDA

View Full Version : Whitch speed whit PC7424????

Sifto
05-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Hi,

I have made some research to find the speed for my porter and cable 7424, for the application of wolfgang product.
I found some answer but i think is for the flex DA.

On the store(autogeek), i found the speed 4.5 to apply the WG sealant 3.0.... It seem fast to me!?!?!?!?
Itīs the speed for the flex? Or for the PC? Or both?

Itīs the same thing whit the WG polish, 4.5!?
The swirl remover 5-6, and glaze 4?

This is ok , or you use different speed?

Thanks

Simon

Kamakaz1961
05-03-2014, 12:05 PM
For compounding (Orange Pad) speed should be around 5

For Polishing (White Pad) the speed should be around 4

For Sealant/Wax (Red/Black or Gold Pad) the speed should be around 3

This is what I do with the PC 7424 XP. I have had no issues and the car paint is perfect. This is just me and IMO will do a great job. Some may differ in opinion but again, we have the same DA and at least that is what I do.

Make sure your backing plate has a sharpie marked stripe so you can see if your backing plate is spinning. This will also help you train yourself in what pressure you need to do paint correction.

GreatAvalon
05-03-2014, 12:09 PM
^anything less than 3 and my PC won't spin that well. Unless I pull the machine off the surface of the paint, but it seems like the machine weight on any speed less than 3 stops it from spinning.

I crank the speed up if I need more corrective power. Or want to get done faster, especially on my boat :D . I polished my boat on speed 6. 2 passes and it was done. But gel coat is different than clear coat/automotive paint :xyxthumbs:

Kamakaz1961
05-03-2014, 12:23 PM
^anything less than 3 and my PC won't spin that well. Unless I pull the machine off the surface of the paint, but it seems like the machine weight on any speed less than 3 stops it from spinning.

I crank the speed up if I need more corrective power. Or want to get done faster, especially on my boat :D . I polished my boat on speed 6. 2 passes and it was done. But gel coat is different than clear coat/automotive paint :xyxthumbs:

It took me a while and to train my brain and hand co-ordination (about 100 years to do that..LOL) to let the product do most of the work. After putting a sharpie stripe on the backing plate I was able to see if the DA was spinning.

I realized with less pressure the DA would spin and that I was actually correcting paint much quicker!! I am an old fart and have alzheimer's disease but at least my car looked good....LOL

GreatAvalon
05-03-2014, 12:26 PM
It took me a while and to train my brain and hand co-ordination (about 100 years to do that..LOL) to let the product do most of the work. After putting a sharpie stripe on the backing plate I was able to see if the DA was spinning.

I realized with less pressure the DA would spin and that I was actually correcting paint much quicker!! I am an old fart and have alzheimer's disease but at least my car looked good....LOL
Haha!

I put the black sharpie line on too. It helps so much. This may be a loaded question, but does spin have more correction power than pressure?

Kamakaz1961
05-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Haha!

I put the black sharpie line on too. It helps so much. This may be a loaded question, but does spin have more correction power than pressure?

IMO yes. However, there still needs to be pressure to also help. It is a tricky balance, but once you master the technique it works wonders....or you can do what I did....I got a Flex 3401 VRG and that is a direct drive DA and I no longer have that issue!!!.....LOL

I do still use the PC 7424 XP as I think it is a great DA and I still want to make sure my technique is still sound....remember I have Alheimer's and I forget alot of thing!!!.....LOL
Im the MAN

HateSwirls
05-03-2014, 12:48 PM
For compounding (Orange Pad) speed should be around 5

For Polishing (White Pad) the speed should be around 4

For Sealant/Wax (Red/Black or Gold Pad) the speed should be around 3

This is what I do with the PC 7424 XP. I have had no issues and the car paint is perfect. This is just me and IMO will do a great job. Some may differ in opinion but again, we have the same DA and at least that is what I do.

Make sure your backing plate has a sharpie marked stripe so you can see if your backing plate is spinning. This will also help you train yourself in what pressure you need to do paint correction.

I 100% agree with you, IMO it's the best speeds to wrote.
Works for me:)