PDA

View Full Version : Prima Hydro Max ... Yikes?

Pages : [1] 2

swanicyouth
05-03-2014, 10:32 AM
So, I bought this stuff to use as a "booster" thinking it's a regular type of spray wax that can be ALSO used as a stand alone LSP:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/tuhybu2y.jpg

I was under the "impression" it was compatible with Amigo & Epic, so I thought it would work with other stuff.

...but, then I flipped it over and saw this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/amahuvyd.jpg

Contains mineral spirits... Yikes. I know from experience mineral spirits pretty much strips off everything, including sealants.

Don't know now. I guess I'll just move it to the back of my shelf.

What do you think about using this with other LSPs?

PA DETAILER
05-03-2014, 10:39 AM
I always used it as a stand alone LSP. I think it would interfer with other LSP. If you are looking for a booster for your other LSP, PRIMA WAX AS YOU DRY is what you want.

I did the 2-step this spring.

1. amigo
2. hydro max or hydro seal
3. maintain with wax as you dry

DONE I got flawless results.

swanicyouth
05-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I always used it as a stand alone LSP. I think it would interfer with other LSP. If you are looking for a booster for your other LSP, PRIMA WAX AS YOU DRY is what you want.

I did the 2-step this spring.

1. amigo
2. hydro max or hydro seal
3. maintain with wax as you dry

DONE I got flawless results.

Wouldn't the Hydro Max take off the glaze left by Amigo, since HM was mineral spirits? Maybe it's just a little bit of MS? I have the regular Hydro WAYD as well.

PA DETAILER
05-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Not according to nick from prima. I used amigo to clean/prep the paint before using hydro seal. And/or hydro max. No issues and did not lose what amigo did before the application of HS/HM.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/78309-early-spring-detail.html

FUNX650
05-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Mineral spirits (MS) is found in many, many care-care products.
MS also has many, many synonyms...and "Cousins".
Naptha, Stoddard solvent, "paint thinners", are a few.

These substances are all distillation-fractions of petroleum.
-Generally speaking:
They are the aliphatic hydrocarbon component of petroleum.
Example: C9-C12;
-And: Since they are distillation fractions...They are all 100% volatile.

The biggest difference between them are their boiling points:
How fast they evaporate, flash point---volatility.
-Example: MS evaporates slower than Naptha.
(This can be dependent upon what the "Distiller" decides to put in it.)

Another difference is their odor:
The amount of distillation that takes place is a determinate of the amount of odor.
-More distillation...More expensive.
-Less distillation...Cheaper.
(Again: This can be dependent upon what the "Distiller" decides to put in it.)

Cheaper can also mean that the boiling ranges aren't as tightly controlled.
-This doesn't matter much sometimes...when it comes to car-car products.

Note:
If I'm not mistaken...You (and many others) like Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

It contains:
-Hydrocarbons, C11-C12, isoalkanes, aromatics...(CAS# 90622-57-4)
-Hydrocarbons, C15-C20, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, aromatics...(CAS# 64742-46-7)

Does this mean it, too, will be moved to the back of the shelf?

Bob

swanicyouth
05-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Bob, thanks for your insight. I've never used Polymer Net Shield. I have no qualms with mineral spirits per se, just using a product that contains MS on top of another product. Since, IME, MS will strip all sealants and waxes.

But, maybe there is only an itsy-bitsy amount in Hydro Max? Anyway, I ended up using regular Hydro today. I'll save the Hydro Max for a stand alone LSP.

FUNX650
05-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Bob, thanks for your insight. I've never used Polymer Net Shield. I have no qualms with mineral spirits per se, just using a product that contains MS on top of another product. Since, IME, MS will strip all sealants and waxes.

But, maybe there is only an itsy-bitsy amount in Hydro Max? Anyway, I ended up using regular Hydro today. I'll save the Hydro Max for a stand alone LSP.
Sorry about the Sonax PNS mix-up.
(Others that do use it may want to be aware of its constituents)

Since these types of hydrocarbons (solvents) are contained in many, many LSPs...
-Can/is "topping/layering" ever beneficial?
-Only: Two layers, of the same product, for complete coverage?
-How about "commingling"...does this ever happen with LSPs??

Accordingly:

I have to admit when I first heard the claim, it seemed pretty far out there, but I think it was explained that the solvent in the Opti-Seal would float the wax molecules and the Opti-Seal would wind up underneath with the wax re-flashing on top, but I can't find any posts about that to refresh my memory (I can only imagine what your response is going to be about this).

As far as it migrating through the paint, since Dr. G used to formulate clear coat at PPG, I think he's got that thought out.

EDIT: Oops, I found it--quote from Dr. G on his forum:

"Opti-Seal is a highly concentrated formula containing sealant polymers dissolved in a solvent. Once it is applied to any surface, it will bond to it and cross-links fully within 12 hours.

If there is any wax on the surface, Opti-Seal will dissolve it and the polymers will go to the surface and the wax will migrate to the top. This is due to the difference in the surface tension of wax and sealant."

A follow-up response from our resident Chemist/Friend...PiPUK:

OK, that makes more sense then. It isn't migrating at all, it is just that it is solvent based which re-dissolves the existing LSP (wax). This is something I have previously mentioned as relevant to almost any solvent based liquid LSP and is pertinent beyond way Optiseal. Basically any product which is using surface substantive polymers and is in a solvent base will do it. That said, be aware that a great many waxes will have polymers of their own which won't be so easily dissolved (you would be surprised how many waxes are actually hybrids, of a sort). So whilst some of the wax may be dissolved and re-deposited, not all of the finish will be so you end up with a real mix of chemistry at the end. I would not be guaranteeing any result, unless the previous LSP was stripped.

BTW: Good thread topic...Thanks!

Bob

swanicyouth
05-19-2014, 10:28 AM
So, yesterday I washed my Pathy. Very odd. Black Ice was the LSP and it seemed to be toast on the hood - it was a little over a month old. I have a suspicion this may be from pollen and rain dissolving the wax. Dunno.

Looking for a quick fix (it was getting dark), I slathered Hydro Max all over my paint. The stuff smells bad - like mint + swamp water. But, the stuff could not be easier to apply. It's not quite as slick as Hydro WUD.

However, this stuff is super easy to use. As easy as wiping down with a QD. I'm really curious how this stuff will last - because its so easy to use. Looks glossy as well - but not as glossy as regular Hydro to me.

We will see.

swanicyouth
05-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Well it's been about a week since I applied Hydro Max. Washed the car today and the stuff was beading extremely well. The beads are kind of unique. They aren't 100% round - but they are very consistent and organized.

Car was pretty filthy after a week off heavy pollen and like 3 days in a row of rain and driving through the woods. Hydro Max seems quite impressive. I applied another coat - in direct sun - and no streaking. Probably was about 85° or so and sun was out in full effect. Only one towel required. No buffing required either. You just spread it around and it seems to disappear. No "high spots" like some WOWAs. More like using a very user friendly, but thick QD.

Used it on glass as well - in decent sun - performed flawlessly. Product states you can pretty much use it on any hard surface. I even applied it on top of DLux to some trim for a bit of a gloss boost. Worked well there, too.

I had a crazy idea to apply it on top of Tuff Shine - but didn't go there.

So, I really like this product. So far, it's seems pretty amazing. Application is easier than Optimum Car Wax, and beading is much better. Its so easy to use, you really could apply it after every wash or two in just a few minutes.

Leaves paint glossy and tight looking. If your looking at the product overall: price, ease of use, looks - this may be the best LSP out there. I'm guessing it doesn't last 6 months, but it literally can be applied in a few minutes with little work. Since it's applied via a towel - there is no foam applicator to clean up after. Towel just gets washed - another sweet bonus.

Lost Highway
05-27-2014, 04:12 AM
I have Hydro Max but I haven't used it yet. I'll be interested to read any follow up comments you post on durability. Hydro Seal far out performed my expectations in that regard. I used it last fall as the winter LSP on my wife's car and to my great surprise it was still beading on all surfaces in the spring once the winter crud was washed off (18 mile commute each way, car sits out in the elements during the day). I do find the application of Hydro Seal less than ideally user friendly so if Hydro Max can approach it on durability it should be a winner. I also found the looks and initial dirt shedding/low accumulation of Hydro Seal to be above average among sealants I've used. Perhaps the wet application reduces static charge?
I wouldn't sweat the mineral spirits issue too much, as Bob noted in his usual erudite style these volatile hydrocarbon solvents are nearly ubiquitous in detailing products. Take a whiff of Auto Finesse Tough Coat as an example. At low concentrations I can't see them stripping anything beyond the most fragile of glazes or LSPs. The potential for commingling is well beyond my very rusty and elementary chemistry knowledge.
Thanks for your posts. I frequently find them interesting and useful.

PA DETAILER
05-27-2014, 06:52 AM
Well it's been about a week since I applied Hydro Max. Washed the car today and the stuff was beading extremely well. The beads are kind of unique. They aren't 100% round - but they are very consistent and organized.

Car was pretty filthy after a week off heavy pollen and like 3 days in a row of rain and driving through the woods. Hydro Max seems quite impressive. I applied another coat - in direct sun - and no streaking. Probably was about 85° or so and sun was out in full effect. Only one towel required. No buffing required either. You just spread it around and it seems to disappear. No "high spots" like some WOWAs. More like using a very user friendly, but thick QD.

Used it on glass as well - in decent sun - performed flawlessly. Product states you can pretty much use it on any hard surface. I even applied it on top of DLux to some trim for a bit of a gloss boost. Worked well there, too.

I had a crazy idea to apply it on top of Tuff Shine - but didn't go there.

So, I really like this product. So far, it's seems pretty amazing. Application is easier than Optimum Car Wax, and beading is much better. Its so easy to use, you really could apply it after every wash or two in just a few minutes.

Leaves paint glossy and tight looking. If your looking at the product overall: price, ease of use, looks - this may be the best LSP out there. I'm guessing it doesn't last 6 months, but it literally can be applied in a few minutes with little work. Since it's applied via a towel - there is no foam applicator to clean up after. Towel just gets washed - another sweet bonus.

:xyxthumbs: Thats the beauty of it. So easy and goof proof to use.

PA DETAILER
05-28-2014, 09:30 AM
To clear thing up a bit, direct from prima.....

Prima Hydro MAX Super Spray Polymer can be applied over traditional synthetics such as Prima Epic. It can also be applied over Prima Hydro, Prima Amigo, or any other product in Prima Car Care's range.

Application:

Apply to a clean car, out of the direct sun.
Mist on to a section and spread with a soft microfiber towel.
Flip the towel to a dry side and lightly buff to a brilliant shine.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Been using Hydro MAX for awhile, love it!!!

mg6045
06-01-2014, 06:14 AM
swanicyouth, I dont think you should put this product in the back of your shelf. Its actually a really impressive product. I have a black bmw, so I found the easiest way to use this product is to dampen a MF towel, wring it out, and use it as your application towel, then follow up with a dry towel for removal. The reason I suggest the wet towel is because it makes the product spread a LOT easier, and it will also avoid you having to worry about streaking during wipeoff due to uneven application.

This product is a potent LSP and you can seal your car in 10 minutes with solid durability. you can really feel how substantial the protection is by feel when you lay it down and wipe it off. similar feeling to applying a high quality LSP like powerlock or something similar.

This product is excellent, the only fault I can find is that I wasn't totally thrilled in the final look on black metallic paint. I thought the look was a bit sterile compared to others, but if you need quick protection its fantastic.

ScottB
09-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Used this spray yesterday while doing the cars ..... drove thru two major rainstorms. The gloss is incredible as is the beading.

My wife loves this line, and quickly becoming a go-to product.