PDA

View Full Version : When and what do I tape?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tonya
07-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I have decided for now to apply sealant and wax by hand. So....do I need to tape? :confused: I used the search and it seems to me that the tape is to be used with buffers and polishers. However, there is mention of staining rubber. I plan on using Klasse Glaze and Pinnacle Signature II. Will either of them stain? Should I tape?
Thanks,
Tonya
Feed back please

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Ya i would tape, if you do get any wax on trim you can just wipe it off with some APC, but sometimes i wish i would have used tape, its a bichh to get wax out of crevasses. the trim is not what you have to worry about, but some waxes do stain trim, the ones you are using dont.

Al-53
07-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Tonya..actually you can use Klasse AIO and SG ON trim...works fine...they say Pinn SSII does not stain so your safe all around....just go to it...

Have Fun

AL

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I would recomend to tape off any crevasses.

Tonya
07-21-2007, 05:07 PM
OK Thanks guys!
Tonya

Sevenrd
07-21-2007, 06:01 PM
The only time I tape is when using the rotary. As long as you use a quality wax/sealant that doesn't stain trim I see no reason to tape anything off.

Tonya
07-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Ok Thanks!
Nice Rottie!
Tonya

Dust2Glory
07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
taping sucks!!!! for crevices just get a mf and some qd and run the mf inside the cracks... works like a champ. i do this for a living and it's never failed me.

mywifehatesclowns
07-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Everyone has a preference.

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 08:42 PM
taping sucks!!!! for crevices just get a mf and some qd and run the mf inside the cracks... works like a champ. i do this for a living and it's never failed me.

theres some places that a mf cant get into but wax can, its happened many times to me.

trhland
07-21-2007, 09:02 PM
i just spray all plastic with a detail spray like stoners before i wax this way nothing sticks to the plastic. this is what most detailers do instead of taping

Jimmie
07-21-2007, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't tape for a hand application. Even if you used a product that could stain your trim there are plenty of tricks to get it off. I use wax eraser, DG #481. Some on here have talked of using peanut butter on trim wax stains. Some trim dressings will do the job. So I'd say just take some care and no worries.

Tonya
07-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Ok Thanks guys! I didn't think of spraying the plastic first. Some great suggestions. Peanut butter.... I have used it to remove the residue from price tags before. Good idea if the plastic gets stained.
Thanks,
Tonya

sparkie
07-21-2007, 09:18 PM
If you use any of the DGs, Klasse sealants or any Pinnacle paste waxes or MaxWax, don't worry about it. Cleaner waxes like NXT will turn your trim white. If you get wax on the trim a cheap way to get it off is to use peanut butter (before you ask, yep really). I have never tape before any wax job. I only tape before I use a rotary and polish.

lgtspecb
07-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I disagree with everyone on this one, I always tape. I got some NXT on trim and did not notice until the next day, and it is a real PITA to get out after it has cured on there.

Even when using a plastic safe wax or sealant you need to either hit up all the trim or none of it. I think untreated trim where the applicator or pad have hit portions of it looks horrible.

Tape it off and go back to detail the trim after your last application. Then you can be as careless as you want :).

Getting wax out of crevices is simple, there is no crevice that a all purpose mf cannot get wax out of using either a fingernail or toothpick. A good double sided detail brush is also great for crevices and badging.