PDA

View Full Version : BMW Natural Care Polish?

ArtFoodBMW
05-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Has anybody ever used it?

I've had it for awhile, but am starting to realize it could cause problems. I recently bought megs 105 and then finish with bmw polish, brought the car out into the sunlight and what did i see? Holograms.

Help please and thank you!!

swanicyouth
05-02-2014, 06:35 PM
I believe the BMW stuff is non abrasive. The holograms are likely from 105.

ArtFoodBMW
05-02-2014, 06:42 PM
I believe the BMW stuff is non abrasive. The holograms are likely from 105.

And the polish isn't bringing the holograms out?

Tato
05-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Pics? What color is the car? What pad you've used M105, speed and polisher?

Removing holograms may be trick, because sometimes they may come out with a polishing pad, but other times you only get fully rid of them on a black/gray finishing pad.

Sometimes it may be a 3 step (M105_or_compound / then polishing with finer product/pad to refine / then re-polishing even finer to get flawless), sometimes 2 step (M105_or_compound / finishing pad with finer polish).

My favorite finishing polish to get rid of buffer marks is Menzerna SF4000.

M205 can be used as a follow up to M105 as well, in reality, it's a highly indicated 'duo'.

My tip is for you to try to minimize buffer marks since compounding step, I mean, if possible, try to do your best technique, and use some tweaking to ease up on last few passes, 'refining' your compounding step, that may be ease up on pressure / speed on last few passes.

Other than that may be trying to correct with less speed / pressure / less aggressive combination that may leave less user-instilled defects for further stages to remove.

**This is not always possible, may be optimal, but not always reachable.

Best thing to do: Test spot, and finish that spot flawless. Then you reproduce flawless sections over entire vehicle.

Get a Swirl Finder Light, a tough one (like Flex swirl finder light and many others). Inspect your results often with it. If you beat a 'hard-to-beat' swirl finder light, odds are you'll beat the sun when you put the car under it.

Just some general ideas,

Hope that helps.

swanicyouth
05-02-2014, 06:52 PM
And the polish isn't bringing the holograms out?

The BMW polish won't remove them because it's non-abrasive I believe. I can't see BMW selling a polish that is abrasive or meant to be used by machine.

ArtFoodBMW
05-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Here is the car. 1994 325i BMW. The swirls and scratches were insane, like it was driven through brush and trees. I'm fairly certain the car needs to be wet sanded to remove all defects, because I could not remove all defects using an orange pad on speed 6 for cut, and black pad on speed 6 to polish. \

I couldn't capture the holograms in the pictures

left side not corrected, right side is
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y518/ArtFoodBMW/IMG_2948_zpscb5335b3.jpg (http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/ArtFoodBMW/media/IMG_2948_zpscb5335b3.jpg.html)
Black in color on the back half (corrected) gray in color on the front (not corrected)
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y518/ArtFoodBMW/IMG_2949_zpsc0e572f5.jpg (http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/ArtFoodBMW/media/IMG_2949_zpsc0e572f5.jpg.html)

swanicyouth
05-02-2014, 07:13 PM
We'll it looks like your really making the paint look much much better. Maybe pick up some Ultimate Polish locally to sort out your holograms.

Edit. If that car is an M3, I'm Barack Obama.

Tato
05-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Hard to beat paint, no doubt about it. You are moving up good.

Sometimes, holograms-like defects may appear not because you instilled them, but when swirls are so deep you level them to a minimum but cannot remove them 100%. This is not common, but may happen, and result is an 'hologram-like' defect appearance caused by very fine swirls all over an area, in some lighting conditions.

My tip for you is to polish slower, trying to finish out the paint smooth, not just as a 'mechanical manner of abrading the paint'.

Refining a finish is a difficult aspect of detailing, since it's a delicate process over the thin line between great finishing or not finishing at all.

That means, if you go too 'heavy' to finish, you may not get where you want to, but if you go too 'soft', odds are your approach will not improve finish in a significant manner.

If you couldn't until now, it's time to re-think about your finishing procedures, but also what I told above about easing (just a bit) up on compounding step.

Polish on speed 4-5, or/and use a softer pad, or/and use a finer polish on polishing pad. Play with different pressures, and different arm speed.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards.

ArtFoodBMW
05-02-2014, 07:42 PM
We'll it looks like your really making the paint look much much better. Maybe pick up some Ultimate Polish locally to sort out your holograms.

Edit. If that car is an M3, I'm Barack Obama.

Hahaha, not an m3, the PO thought it was a nice touch to add all the m goodies he could and not change the engine..

ArtFoodBMW
05-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Hard to beat paint, no doubt about it. You are moving up good.

Sometimes, holograms-like defects may appear not because you instilled them, but when swirls are so deep you level them to a minimum but cannot remove them 100%. This is not common, but may happen, and result is an 'hologram-like' defect appearance caused by very fine swirls all over an area, in some lighting conditions.

My tip for you is to polish slower, trying to finish out the paint smooth, not just as a 'mechanical manner of abrading the paint'.

Refining a finish is a difficult aspect of detailing, since it's a delicate process over the thin line between great finishing or not finishing at all.

That means, if you go too 'heavy' to finish, you may not get where you want to, but if you go too 'soft', odds are your approach will not improve finish in a significant manner.

If you couldn't until now, it's time to re-think about your finishing procedures, but also what I told above about easing (just a bit) up on compounding step.

Polish on speed 4-5, or/and use a softer pad, or/and use a finer polish on polishing pad. Play with different pressures, and different arm speed.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards.

Thanks Tato! I've been looking into getting new polish recently.

I'm looking for a good polish, one that can be used as a single stage, and one to be used after compounding a car. Any ideas which to get? I've considered megs 205 or optimum hyper polish

RevitalizeAutoSpa
05-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I like the M205 a lot. Followed up with Menzerna 4500 works pretty well for most of the work I've done.

BMW Jet Black is a difficult paint to work on - typically pretty soft. That doesn't look like the problem you're having, though. Might want to try stepping up to the LC yellow or purple foamed wool pads.

ArtFoodBMW
05-02-2014, 08:15 PM
I have a few megs microfiber cutting pads to use on my da polisher, however i can't seem to get the megs 105 to work properly with the micro cut pads. The product cakes up on the surface and becomes difficult to remove