PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Customs fine by for unpaid wages

Pages : [1] 2

VISITOR
05-02-2014, 03:18 PM
i never really cared for their show and now this even proves it even more. people sacrifice their lives to make millions for this guy and this is how he treats them. pathetic..

West Coast Customs, the Corona automotive restoration business that rose to prominence because of a pair of reality shows on cable television networks, will pay more than $150,000 to settle federal accusations that they underpaid employees for more than two years.

The company and its owner, Ryan Friedlinghaus, have agreed to a settlement with the United States Department of Labor to pay $157,592 in back wages to 45 employees and an additional $16,830 in civil penalties, according to a statement from the agency released on Wednesday, April 23.

A wage and hour investigation by the labor department’s West Covina office found that West Coast Customs paid weekly salaries with set amounts to its employees despite the fact that the workers should have been paid on an hourly basis and were eligible for overtime wages. According to the statement, based on the number of hours worked, some employees’ who were denied overtime only earned about $6 per hour, well below the minimum of $8 in California and the $7.25 federal standard.

West Coast Customs, which was started by Friedlinghaus in 1993 with a $5,000 investment from his grandfather, first rose to fame from the television show “Pimp My Ride,” which premiered on MTV in 2004. Numerous celebrities were featured on the program, which was hosted by rap star Xzibit.

The company has since been featured on “Inside West Coast Customs,” which has run on The Learning Channel and Discovery Channel HD Theater and in the video game “L.A. Rush.”

A spokesman for the company, who declined to identify himself, also did not want to comment on the investigation or the fine on the advice of legal counsel. He did say that the company was working closely with the labor department to ensure that their payroll practices would conform to the law.

Daniel Pasquil, director of the wage and hour division’s district office, said in an interview that the violations occurred between November 2010 and January 2013.“The fortunate thing, and the most important thing, is that the company did correct the violations,” Pasquil said. “They are now in full compliance.”

The federal investigation found that, until 2011, West Coast Customs misclassified employees as independent contractors. The company also failed to maintain proper payroll records of daily and weekly hours worked.

Docpeanut
05-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I'd venture to say a majority of company's operate this way

05-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Pretty sad really when I'm sure there's more than enough money to pay his employees an above average salary!

hernandez.art13
05-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I've seen the show.

They are in Corona, California. I am in Corona, California too now for going on 6 months, had no idea they were so close by. I drove by and saw the building on the fwy. (well my friend she pointed it out to me and told me I should go apply so I could come out on TV too)

:pc7424::rolleyes::buffing:

Im the MAN:nomore:Im the MAN

jms493
05-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Well that wont help his business.

custmsprty
05-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Wait till the IRS starts crawling up every one of his orifices. Guess he could take a few lessons from Max about how to treat your employees.

FUNX650
05-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Speaking of "Independent Contractors"...
IMO:
This can also act as a wake-up call
to many Detail Business owners.

Bob

stilltipping3
05-02-2014, 07:53 PM
I never heard good things about them from my buddies back home.

ScottB
05-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Generally speaking a lot of companies use "salary workers" improperly for certain positions and can be fined if found to be "hourly workers" instead.

Pureshine
05-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Just like that dumb ass from New Jersey at Unique Autosports Will CASTRO. I would never do that kind of work at a salary pay.

aztec1987
05-02-2014, 11:39 PM
I notice that many new faces appear on new seasons. I never knew why they always change but now I guess this is the reason. They use to be a block away from Inglewood where I live and then moved by LAX after a year or two. Finally moving into Corona.

VISITOR
05-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Just like that dumb ass from New Jersey at Unique Autosports Will CASTRO. I would never do that kind of work at a salary pay.

i actually liked that show and thought it was entertaining with reme, chet and the rest of the crew. i was wondering why uniquewhips wasn't on tv anymore and i guess will/uniqueautosport went bankrupt if i'm not mistaken. remy started his own business and the guy has paid his dues and deserves it...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvdxQRbqrEI]Interview with Reme Rowland.MP4 - YouTube[/video]

Pureshine
05-04-2014, 12:34 AM
i actually liked that show and thought it was entertaining with reme, chet and the rest of the crew. i was wondering why uniquewhips wasn't on tv anymore and i guess will/uniqueautosport went bankrupt if i'm not mistaken. remy started his own business and the guy has paid his dues and deserves it...
Interview with Reme Rowland.MP4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvdxQRbqrEI)

He went bankrupt because he was a fool charging for crap work and not letting Reme and the guys doing real work.

57BORNTORUN
05-04-2014, 09:02 AM
To me both shows were somewhat boring but the whip show I just could`nt watch.I`m just not a fan of loud base rap music and 22`s on newer cars.At least West Coast built some cool Hot Rods.

Audi X2
05-04-2014, 09:36 AM
He went bankrupt because he was a fool charging for crap work and not letting Reme and the guys doing real work.

:iagree: