PDA

View Full Version : Swirls in new 2014 BMW 428i Jet Black

Pages : [1] 2

rckcmp
05-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Hey guys

I purchased a Jet Black Bmw 428i Xdrive a few months back. After around 4000 miles I noticed some swirls in the paint. I have read all the post about how soft the Jet Black paint is. Does this mean ill need a less aggressive polish and pad to polish it? I am relatively new to detailing and any help on how to wash polish and wax it will be appreciated! Love the site!

conman1395
05-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Yes sir, less aggressive pad and polish.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi welcome to AGO! Congrats on the new black BMW. I have a pair of Jet Black e9x's myself.

Have you read through the many great articles written by Mike Phillips?

Mike

rckcmp
05-02-2014, 01:57 PM
I've read through a lot of them and was all set to buy some pads and polish and wax but the more I read about the Jet Black the less confident I was in my plan. I have a DA Polisher and have been washing properly for the most part. I'm just a little spooked because of the color and this being the first car I've ever polished. I also read BMW might have made the paint harder. I'm have a bad case of paralysis by analysis lol.

HUMP DIESEL
05-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Paralysis by Analysis. I have a buddy who would always talk about how he had that during some of our bicycle races together.

Anyway, you are in the right place for information.

As always, the steps always hold true.
1. Use the least aggressive option you can to get the "Desired" results.
2. Do a test spot to determine #1
3. Enjoy the experience of having a nice looking vehicle.

If paint softness is a concern, once you have it corrected, put on a coating that will help keep the paint looking better longer.

HUMP

WRAPT C5Z06
05-02-2014, 02:53 PM
I've read through a lot of them and was all set to buy some pads and polish and wax but the more I read about the Jet Black the less confident I was in my plan. I have a DA Polisher and have been washing properly for the most part. I'm just a little spooked because of the color and this being the first car I've ever polished. I also read BMW might have made the paint harder. I'm have a bad case of paralysis by analysis lol.
Where do you live?

rckcmp
05-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Ohio.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Which DA polisher do you have?

My 07 has the typical soft black BMW paint while my 11 has pretty normal paint. I have not worked anything newer than the e9x chassis. But from what I have worked on they all favour Menzerna and Wolfgang polishes.

rckcmp
05-03-2014, 06:59 AM
I have the Shurhold 3100 DA with a 5.5 inch backing plate. It's my brother in laws and it's barely been used. I need pads for it too.

swanicyouth
05-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Can you post a picture showing the paint defects?

BobbyG
05-03-2014, 07:27 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

Product - Menzerna Finishing Polish - SF 4000 – Super Finish Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-nano-polish-po-106-fa-finishing-polish.html)

Pads

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

In this case I would start with the White foam then finish up with a Gray foam pad using the product above...

Lake Country Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)
Lake Country Flat Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/MenzernaChart3.jpg

rckcmp
05-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Here r a few pics

rckcmp
05-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Another

rckcmp
05-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Another pic. It's not terrible but it def. Needs polishing. I also did the baggie test and am going to clay it first.

swanicyouth
05-03-2014, 10:16 AM
I would use WG TSR & FG on that with an orange then black CCS pad using a "regular DA". Of course you won't know until you try what works, but that would be my guess.

BMW uses the same clear coat on all their colors. So, just because a car is JB doesn't mean the clear coat is "soft". It likely varies more by year, production location, and model. But, the defects are easier to see on JB, along with any marring - so it gets a reputation of being "soft".