PDA

View Full Version : Water spot etching help

808_detail_nut
05-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Spending today trying to get out some waterspots on this black tacoma. So far not so good. I first hit it with SSR2 with the orange cyclo pads on my cyclo and no luck. Then got the 105 out and again no luck with 8 passes. Then transfered the pad to the flex L 3403 rotary with the orange cyclo pads (with the 3 inch backing plate) and still there. Do I have to wet sand??? I talked to the owner and he doesn't want that and said do what I can but being a anal detailer( like we all are), I don't want to leave it. Should I keep going or just move on and do what the owner wants. Top 2 pictures are what I started with and the bottom is after the 105. Those are all over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Just02896
05-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately if a rotary and heavy cut compound isn't touching the spots, wetsanding may be the only option left. Have you tried wool or MF pads?

808_detail_nut
05-01-2014, 06:16 PM
No I didn't try the wool pads because I don't have any at the moment. I was doing some house work and I think they got some sanding dust in them because the container wasn't closed well. I didn't want to risk using them so I threw them out. They were old anyway but I want to get some MF pads soon. Dam, well I guess ill just do what I can. At least the rest of the car isnt bad.

808_detail_nut
05-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Well I did my best but as long as the customer is happy then it's a win right. Wish I could have fixed it better but oh well I think it was better than he expected. First cleaned and dressed the interior (my first time doing interiors, i was always a exterior guy, shampooed the carpets and upholstery), cleaned rims with sonex, then purple power and the pressure washer to the undercarrage (found out if you put the PP in a garden sprayer it comes out foamy and works extremely well), pressure washed the outside, then wash with a foam gun w/ NXT soap and a little dawn so I could strip anything he had on the paint and a MF mitt (2 bucket w/GG of course), decon with nanoskin mitt, steamed the jambs, then polished with PB pro polish, then PB Black hole, natty red wax, then some aqua wax and dressed the tires and undercarrage with some water based dressing and DONE! I wish I could have got the water etching off the hood and roof but you win some and you lose some. Mainly the owner was stoked and that is all that matters right. On to the next one, ALOHA!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

serious1
05-02-2014, 02:41 PM
surf city beyond clay worked for me removed acid stain. make sure car is cool, cover spot with cream slowly work in one direction and then counter 2012 black max

kjn
05-02-2014, 02:48 PM
What island you on?

HateSwirls
05-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Wool pad using a rotary normally removes them.
If not as said wet sanding would do the trick then buff it out.

You can send me a PM if you'd like.

Kevin

Sent from my LG-D800 using AG Online

Kengo123
05-02-2014, 09:41 PM
The deposits left behind by hard water are usually easily removed chemically with an appropriate acid.

808_detail_nut
05-03-2014, 12:07 AM
What island you on?

Maui

I used a hard water remover, (MX7 plus for paint, not sure if you in the mainland get this product bit it usually works on water spots) but the paint is etched bad. I just wish I still had wool pads but I need to order. Worst I have had to deal with so far in my detailing life but lessened learned right.

808_detail_nut
05-03-2014, 12:42 AM
I hate the auto spelling on my phone, I'm usually bad at spelling but not that bad. sorry.

allenk4
05-03-2014, 01:28 AM
surf city beyond clay worked for me removed acid stain. make sure car is cool, cover spot with cream slowly work in one direction and then counter 2012 black max

What?

I have not heard of clay removing stains before, but I guess the Surf City product is a "Miracle in a Bottle".

Beyond Clay® Paint Polish

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/images/made/images/products/BC_8_thumbnail_88_258.png (http://www.surfcitygarage.com/images/products/BC_8_thumbnail.png) (http://www.surfcitygarage.com/images/products/BC_16_thumbnail.png) (http://www.surfcitygarage.com/images/made/images/products/BC_1_Gallon_Mockup_363_600.png)

Product Description

Don’t waste money on clay bars. You don’t need them when you use Beyond Clay. It does way more than a clay bar has ever dreamed of doing: restores faded paint to a factory gloss and removes swirl marks, light scratches and surface contaminants. Got tough water spots that are determined to stain your car forever? Gets rid of those too. Use it with no fear of damage because Beyond Clay is 100% safe for all surfaces. Fold a clay bar a few times and you’re grinding contaminants into your paint instead of getting rid of them. Not with Beyond Clay. You’ll never buy a clay bar again. Guaranteed.

kjn
05-03-2014, 01:57 AM
I hate the auto spelling on my phone, I'm usually bad at spelling but not that bad. sorry.
Nice!:xyxthumbs: Im on Maui too, I figured it out since I saw the truck on craigslist after I asked lol

Love's Auto
05-03-2014, 02:58 AM
Next time wet sand first, wet sanding doesn't produce heat and it's fast and safer.

808_detail_nut
05-03-2014, 03:01 AM
Nice!:xyxthumbs: Im on Maui too, I figured it out since I saw the truck on craigslist after I asked lol

lol yea he wanted to sell it. thats why he didnt care too much about the spots. he told me to use the pictures for the afters. lucky I beat the rain.

808_detail_nut
05-03-2014, 03:05 AM
Next time wet sand first, wet sanding doesn't produce heat and it's fast and safer.

I know that was my only option now that I think about it. I haven't wet sanded since painting cars a long time ago so im a little tentative about it.