PDA

View Full Version : Sonax vs Iron X

Greg5OH
05-01-2014, 11:24 AM
both seem to react with iron, both turn red, appear to have similar ingredients. Can I use Sonax on the whole vehicle?

Blackthorn One
05-01-2014, 12:39 PM
both seem to react with iron, both turn red, appear to have similar ingredients. Can I use Sonax on the whole vehicle?
Iron X is better at cleaning brake dust, and it was designed to clean paint. I would use Iron X for both. As a matter of fact, I have used Iron X for both.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Todd over at Autopiaforums did a review on this. Plenty of info can be found here.

Throw Down: Iron Remover Comparisons - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/44548-throw-down-iron-remover-comparisons.html)

Greg5OH
05-01-2014, 12:49 PM
interesting...Iron X does seem to be better overall for wheels too then! 2 more bottles of sonax to go before i get some iron X. thanks!

Radarryan
05-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Keep in mind they are different products. One is an iron remover and one is a wheel cleaner. Iron-X's sole job is to remove iron. SONAX removes brake dust and other dirt and grime that is on wheels. You wouldn't use Iron-X as a wheel cleaner. You would have to clean the wheel thoroughly, then dry, then apply Iron-X for it to work properly.

Furthermore, Iron-X should only be needed a couple times a year, max, per CarPro when used on wheels or paint. SONAX FE can be used every time you clean your wheels.

I bring this up because you're not comparing apples to apples. If you were comparing Iron-X to Dodo Juice or Wolf's iron remover then yes. Or if comparing Full Effect to 1Z ColourTec or Scholl Rim7. But Iron-X to SONAX Full Effect, no.

Both are good at their job, but cannot be used for both purposes.

Blackthorn One
05-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Keep in mind they are different products. One is an iron remover and one is a wheel cleaner. Iron-X's sole job is to remove iron. SONAX removes brake dust and other dirt and grime that is on wheels. You wouldn't use Iron-X as a wheel cleaner. You would have to clean the wheel thoroughly, then dry, then apply Iron-X for it to work properly.

Furthermore, Iron-X should only be needed a couple times a year, max, per CarPro when used on wheels or paint. SONAX FE can be used every time you clean your wheels.

I bring this up because you're not comparing apples to apples. If you were comparing Iron-X to Dodo Juice or Wolf's iron remover then yes. Or if comparing Full Effect to 1Z ColourTec or Scholl Rim7. But Iron-X to SONAX Full Effect, no.

Both are good at their job, but cannot be used for both purposes.
Yes. I use Griot's Wheel cleaner, and then if there is still residue I use Iron X. Sonax FE is too expensive IMO to use on a regular basis. The iron dissolving property is the only real advantage over Griots cleaner, so I see no reason to buy Sonax when I can get the more concentrated active ingredient in Iron X when I need it.

FUNX650
05-01-2014, 07:52 PM
I see no reason to buy Sonax
when I can get the more concentrated active ingredient in Iron X when I need it.
I wonder if IronX's active ingredient is
more concentrated than:

SONAX's latest formulation...their: Wheel Cleaner Plus.
PLUS is 30% stronger, and works faster than FE.

PLUS is:
-acid-free
-pH balanced
-goes on clear...turns red (of course)
-safe for use on all wheel types
-will not damage or corrode wheel bolts.

Bob

Blackthorn One
05-01-2014, 08:47 PM
I wonder if IronX's active ingredient is
more concentrated than:

SONAX's latest formulation...their: Wheel Cleaner Plus.
PLUS is 30% stronger, and works faster than FE.

PLUS is:
-acid-free
-pH balanced
-goes on clear...turns red (of course)
-safe for use on all wheel types
-will not damage or corrode wheel bolts.

Bob
The Iron X paste is stronger than regular Iron X. If you should really need something strong, you should use that. I doubt Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus is as strong as Iron X paste. I seem to recall it being 10X as strong.
You only need these products if the wheels get really bad.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
05-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Can't comment on how well it works, but the Meguiar's DUB line has a wheel cleaner that is their version of this. It might work as well as Sonax's or Iron X, and it's mucho cheaper.

FUNX650
05-01-2014, 09:46 PM
The Iron X paste is stronger than regular Iron X. If you should really need something strong, you should use that. I doubt Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus is as strong as Iron X paste. I seem to recall it being 10X as strong.
You only need these products if the wheels get really bad.

Can't comment on how well it works, but the Meguiar's DUB line has a wheel cleaner that is their version of this. It might work as well as Sonax's or Iron X, and it's mucho cheaper.
This iron dissolving discussion...especially at this time of year, when warm weather approaches...reminded me:

Q: What's a Chemist's favorite ride at the fair?

Bob

(A: The ferrous wheel.)