PDA

View Full Version : Paint flaw question, what is it?

hydro556
07-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I am just getting into detailing and am using my work car as a practice vehicle prior to getting to my pride and joy vehicle. I am presently using TW rubbing compound(until my AG order gets here next week) on the hood of my black Maz 626. AFTER compounding I am noticing very small little "starburst" looking imperfections. I did not notice these before. Any idea what they could be? They almost appear to be under the clearcoat, not in it.

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
I am just getting into detailing and am using my work car as a practice vehicle prior to getting to my pride and joy vehicle. I am presently using TW rubbing compound(until my AG order gets here next week) on the hood of my black Maz 626. AFTER compounding I am noticing very small little "starburst" looking imperfections. I did not notice these before. Any idea what they could be? They almost appear to be under the clearcoat, not in it.

I think i have seen that before on a black C4 porsche, does it almost look like a spider web under the clear coat?

mywifehatesclowns
07-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I have seen that before on a 1994 CHevrolet 2500 Dually Diesel. I would say just give it a paint job in the worse case scenario.

Are you able to take your fingernail and run it across the 'cracking' and see if you can feel it, or are you 100% it is 'under' the clear coat?

hydro556
07-21-2007, 05:07 PM
It is under the clear. Doesnt catch when you run a fingernail across it. The car looks great until you really get close and inspect it. The wierd thing is, I didnt notice them at all prior to compounding it. Its no big deal, as this is just a work car. I am hoping to use this car to learn on before applying my new found "skills" to my Ram and other vehicles.