PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Homebrews....

Becciasm
05-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Long winded, but fun :)

The Great Alcohol Experiment of 2014... (in my home, anyway)

So, i've been having some fun on the homebrewed beer front over the past year or so. Made some good brews, a few crowd pleasers that I'll repeat…

But I wanted to try something different this year, in addition to regular extract beer brewing.

About 5 weeks ago i started on a Mead-esque brew.

For those curious, Mead is basically an alcoholic beverage that is produced by fermenting honey with brewer's yeast, ranging from 5% to 10% alcohol by volume (ABV) average.

That's it. Honey, water, yeast. simple.

I didn't want to go HAM on a full honey mead, as not everyone likes honey (although I do, and love professional meads), and I wanted to make something that will be able to be enjoyed by many, rather than myself. If this goes well I'll brew a straight up simple mead for me. :)

So, the mead recipe turned into a Cyzer - a hybrid Mead/Cider that is crafted from fermenting Honey and Apple juice/cider, and I used a champagne yeast tolerable to up to 18% ABV..

yeah, rocket fuel

I treated 4.5 gallons of juice, and heated the remaining 1.5 gallon with 5 lbs honey and other yeast nutrients/stabilizers, then combined it all and pitched the yeast...

Starting original gravity around 1.12… the specific gravity of water is 1.00. (we’ll touch more on this in a bit)

Fast forward 4 weeks; the cyzer has been hanging out at room temperature, the champagne yeast has been chugging away, breaking down all the available fermentable sugars it can get it’s cells on.

Remember, this is near 6 gallons of apple juice and 5 lbs of honey – a lot of fermentables.

The next step is to transfer it to a second fermenter, or ‘racking’, to get the must off of the dead yeast and spent fermentables that have settled out during primary fermentation, to prevent any ‘off’ flavors from developing.
I took a gravity reading prior to racking, and the hydrometer read just under 1.00.. i made water.

So, using math, we solve for primary alcohol content:

Simple equation (for standard alcohol range brews):

ABV = (OG – FG) * 131.25 => (1.12 – 1.00) * 131.25 = 14.44% ABV after primary. Not bad.

Higher Gravity calculation (a bit better accuracy at higher gravity):

ABV = ((76.08 * (OG-FG)/(1.775-OG)*(FG/0.794) => ((76.08*(1.12-1.00)/(1.775-1.12))*(1.00/0.794) = 17.55 % ABV… right about where the yeast is tolerable (18%)

With the above stated, the primary product smelled great!

Not satisfied with plain jane, I split the must up into 4 vessels – 3 one-gallon carboys (glass fermenting vessels), and one 5 gallon carboy.

To the small ones, I added:

• peaches, cinnamon stick and orange peel
• pears, cinnamon stick
• peaches, pears, cinnamon stick

To the large one, I just added some more apple juice and some cinnamon stick.

In my haste to get things cleaned up, i did not measure the OG of the individual fermentors. I'm right around my target ABV, so anything else is a bonus.

I know, I know :postpics:

OK. Here:

Pears and Cinnamon, fermenting nicely :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/0429141900.jpg

Peaches, Pears, Cinnamon:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/0429141900a.jpg

Peaches, Orange peel, cinnamon (smells the best):

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/0429141859.jpg

The purpose of secondary fermentation is to allow the fermentation process to finish fully, and to allow the must to settle, or 'clarify', producing a clear as possible product prior to bottling.

I'll let this sit for about 2 months, and then I'll bottle it. After bottling I'll 'forget' about them in a dark, cool place for about 6 months, as, like wine, mead tends to improve as time goes on.

:)

If you made it through, crack one open - you deserve it. :)

Becciasm
05-01-2014, 09:49 AM
You can notice, from the pics, that the yeast has been 'enjoying' the fruit addition... the fruit started on the bottoms of the vessels, but the activity and voraciousness of the yeast has risen the fruit to the top. :)

sn0w
05-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I gotta say.. I really enjoyed reading this!

May have to swing down and check out the setup.. my grandfather homebrewed for years in his basement and I've been meaning to see if he still has all his old supplies.. not sure how beneficial they would be but it is something I've been interested in for quite some time..

Becciasm
05-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Well, i'm looking to see if we can get a Hampton Roads group detail day together.. maybe then would be a good time!

It's not much of a set up, as I am just an extract recipe brewer - not all grain. All grain is where the cool setups reside.. :)

Becciasm
05-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Bump. For fun. :)

Sent from my VS840 4G using AG Online

aztec1987
05-01-2014, 07:50 PM
I always wanted to start one but I know if I start my mom will throw me out the house if not then that will be my last day I will ever be alive

Becciasm
05-02-2014, 06:18 AM
I always wanted to start one but I know if I start my mom will throw me out the house if not then that will be my last day I will ever be alive

Oh. Ok. We don't want that.

Sent from my VS840 4G using AG Online

Mike Phillips
05-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Very cool!

:dblthumb2:

Becciasm
05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
The best way to get into homebrewing (and believe me, i'm still very green at the process), is to find a homebrew forum and local homebrewers and homebrew stores. When you start talking to the store employees, who, more often than not, brew the beer they drink, they are fountains of knowledge for the beginning homebrewer.

The way I started was simple - I chose a malt extract recipe kit from one of my local homebrew stores (~$40), and had the guidance of a co-worker homebrewer and the use of his equipment for the process.

Making beer is a lot like detailing - the end result depends on the prep.

You can have great ingredients, but if you don't sanitize properly you'll end up with a nasty infection - you can use Crystal Rock wax, but if you're waxing over glaze filled swirls you'll just have a shiney turd.

I'm still learning - that's part of the reason i split the batch into 4 carboys - but will post updates in a few days to show the secondary fermentation progress.

Vegas Transplant
05-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Great thread Steve :props:

Always cool to see into the lives of forum members here at AGO. I'm in Ettrick -off 95 for my 70 hour clock reset. I'll look you up if I get over to the coast anytime soon. Looking forward to updates.