PDA

View Full Version : Nisan paint technology

ShineRight
05-01-2014, 06:54 AM
http://youtu.be/UwoGsCAKsxU

I have been trying to keep up with Nisan as a few months ago they mentioned they had a "self healing" paint technology. NOW, they have a video you can view in the above link about their "self cleaning" paint.

I'm sure I am not the only person to have seen this so my questions for everyone are; what are your opinions on the effects of this on detailing services? We we still be able to sell exterior services to these consumers?

And for the chemists/chemistry buffs out there, what makes this paint a permanent sealant? Is it simply a synthetic sealant mixed within the clear coat? Also, if the car needs buffed, will it remove their protection level on the paint? May be a far stretch to ask such questions due to how new this stuff is, but I love new car technology and am anxious to hear your opinions.

I also imagine that while this paint repels water and dirt, it can't possibly repel bugs, dust, pollen, etc. so why are they saying good bye car wash.

For the record, they do mention car washes can be bad for your car. That's nice to hear a manufacturer putting that out there.

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to see some responses. I apologize if there's already a thread on this.

SHINE RIGHT

Klasse Act
05-01-2014, 07:13 AM
I remember Chrysler had some type of self sealing paint in the early 90's on the then new Intrepid, it was that gold and IIRC a silver as well.

As far as self cleaning paint goes, well, I'll believe it when I see it!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

PiPUK
05-01-2014, 11:02 AM
There are a lot of things unknown. What all you detailing chaps should be asking is why the super-hydrophobic coatings being sold to you do not behave like this...

ShineRight
05-02-2014, 10:55 AM
While I'm no chemist, I don't see how anything could possibly keep all dirt and grime off of a vehicle. And for the intrepid... Must not have worked considering I've done about 15 of them. Haha

cleanmycorolla
05-02-2014, 11:32 AM
It reacts just like Never Wet it seems.

Klasse Act
05-02-2014, 11:55 AM
While I'm no chemist, I don't see how anything could possibly keep all dirt and grime off of a vehicle. And for the intrepid... Must not have worked considering I've done about 15 of them. Haha

There's 15 early 90's Intrepids on the road still, WOW!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Mike.Almy@UltimateAutoDetailing
05-03-2014, 05:15 AM
from the video it appears to be a form of spray on super hydrophobic coating. from the video it looks pretty impressive, anybody else ever use a coating that's this hydrophobic before?

PiPUK
05-03-2014, 08:51 AM
from the video it appears to be a form of spray on super hydrophobic coating. from the video it looks pretty impressive, anybody else ever use a coating that's this hydrophobic before?

I have never seen a coating which achieves the definition of super hydrophobic. I have seen some which get to 120 degrees contact angles but nothing much more. Super hydrophobic is another 30 degrees away.

AutowerxDetailing
05-03-2014, 09:39 AM
The Nissan press release states that for the video demo they used NeverWet to treat half of the vehicle.

They also go on to state that no production vehicles will come with any such coating or have it available as an option at the moment. Simply a demo showcasing the innovative paint technologies they are pursuing.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

ShineRight
07-02-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm just seeing this for some reason. But that sounds a little ridiculous that they'd be able to do something as almost false advertising. However is this never wet something that lasts forever or simply a sealant that will protect for x amount of time? I have never used not read about it before now.

FUNX650
07-02-2014, 10:30 AM
However is this never wet something that lasts forever...?

I have never used not read about it before now.
•I see "Never Wet" commercials on TV all the time.

•I'll propose that:
Except for Heaven and Hell...Nothing else lasts forever!

Bob

PiPUK
07-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Neverwet barely even warrants description as 'temporary'! It has been well documented that it does not have any bond to paint and, as such, would just wipe off. A secondary problem is that it does not (or did not) yield transparent films - they were hazy.

What surprises me is that this is what Nissan would be working with. With the financial power that Nissan yields, they should really have been able to come up with a genuine super-hydrophobic coating. I am not suggesting they could have thrown together something which was production ready but something that was a genuine durable coating is not beyond the realms of existing science. Ultimately it ends up looking like nothing more than a cheap and easy way to get publicity rather than a genuine attempt at furthering the state of the tech.

ShineRight
07-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Completely agree. Quite surprising a company so big would use something the average consumer could apply themselves. Just goes to show what these giant companies are willing to do to get people's attention. It wasn't long before they put this ad out that I saw another article about their "self healing" paint. I don't buy it for a minute.

tedj101
07-03-2014, 01:01 PM
•I see "Never Wet" commercials on TV all the time.

•I'll propose that:
Except for Heaven and Hell...Nothing else lasts forever!

Bob

Taxes!

mwoolfso
07-03-2014, 03:21 PM
This is marketing garbage until proven otherwise.

1. It's not "self-cleaning paint" considering that somethings is sprays on top of the clear coat!!!!!
2. Durability is not mentioned at all; nor are other fancy words like "permanent"!!!!!