PDA

View Full Version : First time DA user...should I start with an AIO like Blackfire TPnS or other?

puma1824
05-01-2014, 12:18 AM
I'm just starting to get into detailing. My initial focus has been the interior but am ready to start moving to the exterior. I just purchased a DA and considering either just starting with an AIO like Blackfire TPnS or going straight to a 2 step like Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System Kit.

If I decide on going with BF TPnS can I use a MF pad like Lake Country Ultra-Fiber Microfiber Pads? The ability and ease of cleaning on the fly with a air compressor and throwing in the wash appeals to me. Since I'm a beginner so I'm not sure if I should go this route.

Thanks in advance.

CDot
05-01-2014, 08:58 AM
I've never used MF pads with an AIO, only a compound--maybe someone else with more experience can chime in?

Hjfowler
05-01-2014, 09:14 AM
I certainly don't have a lot of experience, but I've recently started with exterior detailing as well. I bought a DA similar to you. I spoke with a member on the forum in length about how to start, what to look for, and techniques to learn how to work without causing damage. An AIO would be a good way to learn since they tend to be nonaggresive but produce nice results.

I started with XMT 360 with a white LC flat pad. I got great results and it allowed me to learn how the machine works. It also allowed me to work on some techniques without fear of burning through my cc.

Hopefully others with more experience than myself can shed more light, but for me, an AIO with a DA was a great place to start.

JSou
05-01-2014, 09:15 AM
I've done many AIO's with a MF, Cutting and Finishing. Have got great results, again it depends on the test section.

HD.Detailing
05-01-2014, 09:19 AM
the DA MF system is a great system.. most rookies get great results with it.. go for it!

Tato
05-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Depends on your finish. It's a dark color car, light color? What kind of defects you're dealing? What's the finish you want to achieve (80%-100%)? How much time do you wish to spend on the task?

You'll need to do a test spot with what you want to start, and if it not finish good you'll have to either:

- Finish it with another finer step;

- Change the strategy since an AIO is generally towards one step.

Every answer is right, and this question has much more answers than what I'm telling you, you'll have to analyze your results and move from there.

The AIO you have will be somewhat like the Meg's D301 finishing wax, however I believe Blackfire will be more 'abrasive' in the sense it may correct even more imperfections than the very fine D301.

That said, if you have defects like moderated swirls on your paint, you'll be better trying to remove them with D300 MF compound and MF cutting pad on your Meg's MF system, and on the next step, that would be D301 wax, you may:

- Use D301 wax on MF finishing disc.

- Use Blackfire on MF finishing disc

- Use Blackfire on white foam polishing pad

- Use Blackfire on gray/black foam finishing pad

You'll have to trace a route before starting, 'Ask the Paint' (doing your test spot), and playing with variables to achieve the better outcome on that test spot.

When you achieve your desired results there, you reproduce this to entire car, adapting technique whenever needed.

Or you can wash, clay your car, and use just the Blackfire on a white polishing pad or even orange light cuting pad using only in one step.

Or you can wash/clay, and use JUST MF finishing disc with D301 wax (done that works as AIO for fine defects).

Or you can wash/clay and use just MF finishing disc with blackfire ...

Hope I've confused you even more, but at least gave you some idea how you may deal with the process.

Kind Regards.

puma1824
05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone! Based off everyone's response I'm going to go with the Meguiar's system as it seems to have the most flexibility depending what I'd like to accomplish per given vehicle. ...."Or you can wash/clay, and use JUST MF finishing disc with D301 wax (done that works as AIO for fine defects). "

KBsToy
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
the DA MF system is a great system.. most rookies get great results with it.. go for it!

:dblthumb2: Stay with the KISS method

puma1824
05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
OK so I ended up ordering the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit as well as 3" MF cutting, finishing, and 3" backing plate.

What should I use for smaller areas where the DA won't reach? Should I use the polish and finishing wax from the kit with hand applicators? If so, please advise....please be nice I'm just starting :)

Thanks in advance.

Hjfowler
05-02-2014, 02:17 PM
OK so I ended up ordering the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit as well as 3" MF cutting, finishing, and 3" backing plate.

What should I use for smaller areas where the DA won't reach? Should I use the polish and finishing wax from the kit with hand applicators? If so, please advise....please be nice I'm just starting :)

Thanks in advance.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who isn't nice. Everyone is very helpful.

I would do it by hand. Just pay close attention to results. Others may suggest air powered tools that a much smaller than a DA. But they are expensive. That's my take at least.

puma1824
05-02-2014, 03:03 PM
You'll be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who isn't nice. Everyone is very helpful.

I would do it by hand. Just pay close attention to results. Others may suggest air powered tools that a much smaller than a DA. But they are expensive. That's my take at least.

So I would use the same product that comes with the DA MF kit to do those areas by hand? Any suggestion on applicator(s)?

Hjfowler
05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
So I would use the same product that comes with the DA MF kit to do those areas by hand? Any suggestion on applicator(s)?

I'm gonna be real honest. I'm not familiar with the Meg's system. But if I had to guess, I would assume using the same type of pad in terms of polishing ability would be key. I also think there are some pads you can buy that are designed for use by hand.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.