PDA

View Full Version : Opti-coat or black label wheel coating?

Pages : [1] 2

joey8
04-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Just like the title says. I am going to coat my forgestar textured matte black wheels. They are a pain to keep clean and I believe a coating will ease the cleaning process. Mainly it's little white water spots that are remaining on the wheel. With some wheel cleaner and light scrubbing I can get then out but would rather just coat the wheels to avoid this all together. Which should I go with the Opti-coat or black label wheel coating?

Thanks,
Joey

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Dr_Pain
04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Just like the title says. I am going to coat my forgestar textured matte black wheels. They are a pain to keep clean and I believe a coating will ease the cleaning process. Mainly it's little white water spots that are remaining on the wheel. With some wheel cleaner and light scrubbing I can get then out but would rather just coat the wheels to avoid this all together. Which should I go with the Opti-coat or black label wheel coating?

Thanks,
Joey

Have you considered CQuartz UK?

swanicyouth
04-30-2014, 03:40 PM
You need OC. You need something that is as long lasting as possible, because wheels take a lot of abuse and a lot of wheel cleaners are all over the pH scale.

...unless you plan on doing it twice.

Dr_Pain
04-30-2014, 03:45 PM
You need OC. You need something that is as long lasting as possible, because wheels take a lot of abuse and a lot of wheel cleaners are all over the pH scale.

...unless you plan on doing it twice.

I did read somewhere that even OC is not impervious to harsh pH products (acidic or alkaline). I don't have any comparison on all coatings to say which is "most" chemically resistant (as none seem to want to make a claim they will have to defend)

I do agree with you that the wheels are a harsh environment for coating (or any products). We could ask OP to coat all 4 wheels with 4 different coatings and report back?!?! lol!

FUNX650
04-30-2014, 03:48 PM
My only question is:
If Opti-Coat, Pinnacle BL Wheel Coating, or any other Coating...would happen to alter the matte-finish of these wheels, to any degree, whatsoever:
Will that be deemed unacceptable to you?

Bob

Dr_Pain
04-30-2014, 03:50 PM
My only question is:
If Opti-Coat, Pinnacle BL Wheel Coating, or any other Coating...would happen to alter the matte-finish of these wheels, to any degree, whatsoever:

Bob

You know Bob, that is a very valid point!

swanicyouth
04-30-2014, 04:27 PM
I did read somewhere that even OC is not impervious to harsh pH products (acidic or alkaline). I don't have any comparison on all coatings to say which is "most" chemically resistant (as none seem to want to make a claim they will have to defend)

I do agree with you that the wheels are a harsh environment for coating (or any products). We could ask OP to coat all 4 wheels with 4 different coatings and report back?!?! lol!

It's held up to Wheel Brite for me. So, I'd recommend it.

Pureshine
04-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Opti-coat does not alter the Matte finish I have matte wheels. If you use Opti-coat you shouldn't have to use wheel cleaners Like Sonax or 1z.

joey8
04-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like opti coat is what everyone is saying I should go with.

I won't care if Opti-coat makes the wheels "shine" a bit more. That won't bother me. The water spots and the time taken to clean them is what bothers me most. When I coat them I will use regular car wash soap (cg honeydew in a foam gun) to clean them which should do the trick.

FUNX650
04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
I won't care if Opti-coat makes the wheels "shine" a bit more. That won't bother me.
That answers my question. Thanks!

Bob

joey8
04-30-2014, 05:44 PM
That answers my question. Thanks!

Bob

Yessir. Now which would you choose out of all the coatings. I just mentioned opti coat and the BL wheel coating because those were the first that came to mind. How many applications do you think i could get from a tube of the opti coat. I know the BL wheel coating is 4 oz but what about the opti coat?:xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
04-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Its takes about 3/4 ml of OC per wheel applying it generously.

joey8
04-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Its takes about 3/4 ml of OC per wheel applying it generously.

Cool. So i should be able to coat all four wheels with 1 tube of opti coat it seems like.

Just02896
04-30-2014, 06:23 PM
My only question is:

Bob

CQUK works wonderfully on matte finishes without adding any gloss at all.

Rsurfer
04-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like opti coat is what everyone is saying I should go with.

I won't care if Opti-coat makes the wheels "shine" a bit more. That won't bother me. The water spots and the time taken to clean them is what bothers me most. When I coat them I will use regular car wash soap (cg honeydew in a foam gun) to clean them which should do the trick.

OCing your wheels will make cleaning easier, but it will not prevent water spots.