PDA

View Full Version : Applying Jet Seal 109

Pages : [1] 2

Aingoi10207
04-30-2014, 01:28 PM
So I just did a detail on my car over the weekend. I washed, clayed, polished, and waxed. My lsp was Mothers california gold synthetic liquid wax. Now today I purchased a kit from chemical guys that comes with a bottle of jetseal, and I want to apply it to my car when I receive the kit (should be a week or two). My question is, do I have to strip the lsp/clay again before I do so? Or can I go ahead and apply the jetseal after a wash? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xabo
04-30-2014, 01:34 PM
My understanding is you would want to apply sealant after polishing in order to bond properly to the paint.

Pats300zx
04-30-2014, 01:52 PM
I would at least go over the car with some type of paint cleaner to remove the Mothers Wax. You will probably run into bonding issues if you attempt to apply Jetseal over the Mothers.

HandzFTW
04-30-2014, 01:59 PM
You are going to need to wash and strip off the current LSP before apply JetSeal 109.

Aingoi10207
04-30-2014, 05:08 PM
I would at least go over the car with some type of paint cleaner to remove the Mothers Wax. You will probably run into bonding issues if you attempt to apply Jetseal over the Mothers.

That's what I thought. What's a good cleaner? I have a bottle of ultimate polish, would that suffice?

custmsprty
04-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Just strip the old lsp off, no need to re clay or polish. I use CG Citrus wash in a higher concentrate but dawn or the like will work just fine.

allenk4
04-30-2014, 05:23 PM
That's what I thought. What's a good cleaner? I have a bottle of ultimate polish, would that suffice?

If the paint does not have defects that you want to correct...save your clear coat and use a paint cleaner like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html)

AGO has lots to choose from:

Car Polish - Pre-Wax Cleaners & Paintwork Cleanser (http://www.autogeek.net/prewaxpolishes.html)

Some have light abrasives and almost all have a chemical component designed to strip wax and sealants.

Opinions vary on whether these will actually strip a coating such as CQuartz, 22PLE, etc.

FUNX650
04-30-2014, 09:21 PM
You are going to need to wash and strip off the current LSP before apply JetSeal 109.
What exactly does Chemical Guys recommend to wash and strip off the current LSP (Mothers California Gold Synthetic Liquid Wax)?

Bob

Eric
04-30-2014, 09:26 PM
The correct method would be to sell/trade/return it and replace it with a better sealant like Duragloss 111 or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

:)

Aingoi10207
04-30-2014, 09:36 PM
The correct method would be to sell/trade/return it and replace it with a better sealant like Duragloss 111 or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

:)

Lol funny thing is I didn't actually buy the kit, I had a problem with a 3" backing plate I bought from them a couple weeks ago, so I called them up and they refunded me for the bp and are sending me the kit to compensate for their faulty product.

aztec1987
04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
I use jetseal 109 as a sealant which I put when after using a glaze. The nice this is also applying to the windows and lights.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

CarolinasFinestDetailing
04-30-2014, 10:12 PM
I love how people say to return it...lulz. Jet Seal is a great sealant with awesome longevity. Strip Mothers then apply 2 thin coats of Jet Seal OP. You can then top with wax.

cleanmycorolla
04-30-2014, 11:20 PM
I love how people say to return it...lulz. Jet Seal is a great sealant with awesome longevity. Strip Mothers then apply 2 thin coats of Jet Seal OP. You can then top with wax.

I'd agree. I've used, enjoyed and got good life out of the old version of JetSeal. The new version claims up to 12 month now, same $39 price point.

I've used Blacklight topped with JetSeal for a while. Hell of a combo.

aztec1987
04-30-2014, 11:59 PM
I'd agree. I've used, enjoyed and got good life out of the old version of JetSeal. The new version claims up to 12 month now, same $39 price point.

I've used Blacklight topped with JetSeal for a while. Hell of a combo.

I use it to apply it on windows, headlights, and backlights.

Aingoi10207
05-01-2014, 12:29 AM
If the paint does not have defects that you want to correct...save your clear coat and use a paint cleaner

When I did my detail last weekend, it was my first time doing paint correction so it took me forever (nearly 9 hours) just to compound (using UC), and I was exhausted by the end of it and just wanted to finish up, so I skipped the ultimate polish step and went straight to waxing. Also because the car looked great (super glossy, 75% of swirls removed), so I didn't think the UP was necessary. But looking back, I think i rushed it a bit and should've gone ahead and followed up the UC with the UP just to get a few more swirls out and bring some more depth. Long story short, my plan is to wash with citrus wash n gloss (concentrated stronger for stripping), polish with the UP, and then top it off with two coats of the jetseal. What are your thoughts on this plan?