PDA

View Full Version : Need help please

mbanks21
04-30-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm doing a full detail a 2014 black Kia Sorento and I've gotten most of the swirls out using Meg's #2 (foam wool pad) followed by #205 (LC Orange) but I'm wondering if I need something with more cut. It's def better but I want it to be perfect!:
Before
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/ilovepb21/Mobile%20Uploads/0430141156.jpg

After
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/ilovepb21/Mobile%20Uploads/0430141158.jpg

Dr_Pain
04-30-2014, 11:43 AM
In looking at your after picture I would say that you could use a finishing polish and finishing pad to refine your paint a little more. Is that an all purpose towel in your hand? Is that what you are using to remove the polishing residue? Did you do an IPA or Erasor wipe down to assure that you did not have "oils" in the paint defect (allowing you to believe that you were done)

mbanks21
04-30-2014, 11:47 AM
In looking at your after picture I would say that you could use a finishing polish and finishing pad to refine your paint a little more. Is that an all purpose towel in your hand? Is that what you are using to remove the polishing residue? Did you do an IPA or Erasor wipe down to assure that you did not have "oils" in the paint defect (allowing you to believe that you were done)

Thanks for the quick reply! The Meg's 205 is considered a finishing polish isn't it? I also have Klasse AIO. The towel is microfiber. I did use IPA after the wash and clay

trekkeruss
04-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Well, both the #2 and #205 are fine cut polishes. They both do the same thing. But the finish looks pretty good to me. Why do you think it needs more improvement?

Edit: do you have a finer, finishing pad available?

mbanks21
04-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Well, both the #2 and #205 are fine cut polishes. So yeah, you should try something more aggressive.

That's what I was thinking. My local O'Reilly sells Megs UC and I believe a few others. From the first pic does it look like I need something more aggressive?

Side note, the #205 does work much better than the #2

trekkeruss
04-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Sorry, I edited after you replied to my post. See my edit. :P

mbanks21
04-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Well, both the #2 and #205 are fine cut polishes. They both do the same thing. But the finish looks pretty good to me. Why do you think it needs more improvement?

Edit: do you have a finer, finishing pad available?

I do have a LC black finishing pad. The second pic is from further away but there's def still swirls.

Dr_Pain
04-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! The Meg's 205 is considered a finishing polish isn't it? I also have Klasse AIO. The towel is microfiber. I did use IPA after the wash and clay

I understand that the 205 is a finishing polishing but the wool pad is not, and although your can technically finish with an orange cutting pad, well let's say that you have to be skilled to finish down well on a black vehicle. If your "away" view shows swirls then you will need to step up your aggressiveness (or do more passes with the less aggressive).

The IPA will need to be done AFTER your compounding otherwise the polishing oils may make it appear as you are done, but in fact you are not. You put your LSP and a few washes down the road it looks like crap. Blame the compound oils.... not the poor washing technique ;)

I can see that your towel is MF but not all microfibers are created equal. I personally do not touch paint with an all purpose (or multi-purpose) towel except maybe in the door jams. Look at the GSM value of your towel and decide if it is "safe enough". Don't forget that your clear is softer right after a compounding, so anything that does not pass the "CD test" will induce marring or will scratch.

mbanks21
04-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Awesome info! I think I am going to try a more aggressive compound since the #2 and #205 are very similar. Then Ill use a white pad on the 205...

mbanks21
04-30-2014, 01:05 PM
and the winner is...

Meg's Ultimate Compound (Thanks O'Reilly Auto for having this!) on foam wool, followed by Meg's 205 on Orange, and Klasse AIO on white! Thanks again everyone!

Dr_Pain
04-30-2014, 03:31 PM
and the winner is...

Meg's Ultimate Compound (Thanks O'Reilly Auto for having this!) on foam wool, followed by Meg's 205 on Orange, and Klasse AIO on white! Thanks again everyone!

Fantastic.... glad you found a process which gave you the results you were seeking. Any after pics to share?