PDA

View Full Version : Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish?

onelovelyzee
04-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a new car I bought a month back. I clay barred and used Klasse sealant on it. I want to remove and apply the black label paint coating instead. If I use the surface cleansing polish with a da polisher, will it remove the existing sealant?

Justin at Final Inspection
04-30-2014, 10:23 AM
I would imagine that a good wash, maybe a citrus pre soak to help remove the existing sealant would work. Then use the cleansing polish.

Hope this helps.

Dr_Pain
04-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Personally I would pre-soak, clay bar (light and quick), and do a light polish (light abrasive unless you have swirls and scratches), THEN coating prep polish before the coating

You do not want to trap contaminants under the coating. You do not want to trap micro marring, swirls or scratches under the coating otherwise you will be sadly disappointed everytime you walk up to your car and see those defects.... KNOWING that the only solution is to compound the coating back down to the clear, polish out the defect and then recoat!!

The polishing will serve to make sure that no sealant will survive the pre-soak and claying process.... and YES you do need to clay eventhough you did it a month ago or so. Industrial fallouts and break dust don't stay away from a freshly detailed vehicle, not for one minute :)

04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
:iagree:

PBL Surface Cleansing Polish is non abrasive so no, it won't remove your sealant. Follow the Dr's suggestion and your good to go :dblthumb2:

parttimer
04-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I concur with Dr Pain, wash, clay, polish with something like wolfgang finishing glaze or Rupes white polish and then coat.

swanicyouth
04-30-2014, 11:53 AM

PBL Surface Cleansing Polish is non abrasive so no, it won't remove your sealant. Follow the Dr's suggestion and your good to go :dblthumb2:

PBL surface polish will remove wax or sealant.

04-30-2014, 01:03 PM
PBL surface polish will remove wax or sealant.

I know it will wax but when I tried a sealant it wouldn't...I even used a polishing pad - WG deep gloss sealant to be exact - at least that was my exerience :props:

JHL88
04-30-2014, 01:07 PM

It doesn't have to be abrasive to remove a sealant. IDK about the cleansing polish but I know for a fact that DP prep polish (non-abrasive) will def. remove anything short of a coating.

04-30-2014, 01:13 PM
It doesn't have to be abrasive to remove a sealant. IDK about the cleansing polish but I know for a fact that DP prep polish (non-abrasive) will def. remove anything short of a coating.

I forgot I had the DP prep polish, oh well I ended up doing a light polish anyway. Hey OP, sorry if I gave wrong information my apologies...

silverfox
04-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Yes it will remove a wax or sealant, as well as finishing polish oils, etc...that's exactly what its for.

04-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Yes it will remove a wax or sealant, as well as finishing polish oils, etc...that's exactly what its for.

Any idea why it wouldn't remove WG Deep Gloss Sealant?

Dr_Pain
04-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Any idea why it wouldn't remove WG Deep Gloss Sealant?

On this we can start a speculative thread.... The best answer I can come up with starts with a statement of fact: "Unless proven through reproducible and defensible scientific studies, the data discussed is pure anecdotal speculation"

There was a time when Dawn soap was said to strip all LSP off the paint, till it was proven otherwise. It was speculated for years that claying would remove all impurities and strip the paint until it was proven otherwise, and paint cleansing polish are said to strip wax/sealants until a flaw in the "facts" is brought to bare. To totally strip your LSP you need to understand the bonding of said layer. A natural wax produces a very weak bond, whereas the hybrid wax produces a slightly better one, which is then followed by old school sealants and nano-tech sealants. Now we have nano-ceramic impregnated sealants which are said to offer the greatest bond longevity (if you don't count coatings). Each of those product will require an increasing degree of chemical or mechanical "force" (or both) to break that bond.

So what is the answer?? As the acronym goes, YMMV (your mileage may vary). You will have to test each method and tweak it based on the known limitations of your prep, maintenance parameters, age of the product, environmental exposure etc.. OR you can throw the book at it (ie. chemical and mechanical stripping). This involves a wash with an alkaline pH soap, mechanically claying the paint, IronX treatment if needed, mechanically polishing the paint and chemically cleansing the paint.

04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
On this we can start a speculative thread.... The best answer I can come up with starts with a statement of fact: "Unless proven through reproducible and defensible scientific studies, the data discussed is pure anecdotal speculation"

There was a time when Dawn soap was said to strip all LSP off the paint, till it was proven otherwise. It was speculated for years that claying would remove all impurities and strip the paint until it was proven otherwise, and paint cleansing polish are said to strip wax/sealants until a flaw in the "facts" is brought to bare. To totally strip your LSP you need to understand the bonding of said layer. A natural wax produces a very weak bond, whereas the hybrid wax produces a slightly better one, which is then followed by old school sealants and nano-tech sealants. Now we have nano-ceramic impregnated sealants which are said to offer the greatest bond longevity (if you don't count coatings). Each of those product will require an increasing degree of chemical or mechanical "force" (or both) to break that bond.

So what is the answer?? As the acronym goes, YMMV (your mileage may vary). You will have to test each method and tweak it based on the known limitations of your prep, maintenance parameters, age of the product, environmental exposure etc.. OR you can throw the book at it (ie. chemical and mechanical stripping). This involves a wash with an alkaline pH soap, mechanically claying the paint, IronX treatment if needed, mechanically polishing the paint and chemically cleansing the paint.

Thanks Claude, I still have lots to learn :props: