PDA

View Full Version : Is IPA required between polishing and wax?

cheapbutshiny
04-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Hey geeks! I feel like a true member now as I'm finally writing a post. Been poking around on here since February and have learned a ton! Thanks all!

As I'm about to finish up the semester at college, I'm preparing to do some polishing/waxing for my car and a few friends' as well (I would say detailing, but after all the posts I've seen on here of "true" detailing, I'm not even going to say that I'm there yet). My question is, if I polish a car with an inexpensive OTC polish such as Meg's Ultimate Polish, it it necessary for me to either wash or use IPA before applying wax? (I'm planning on buying a bottle of Collinite 845 and am very excited about it)

I'm concerned that polishing may leave behind some residue that would compromise the effectiveness of the wax. Especially since the Ultimate Polish has some oils in it to increase working time. Any answers or suggestions on other things to do are greatly appreciated.

CopperMtnGuy
04-29-2014, 08:46 PM
I've gone right from the Meg's UP to a sealant, doesn't make me right though lol. Seems fine to me.

Pureshine
04-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Yes it does help if you do. Its more important to do a wipe when using any kinda of sealant. A sealant needs to be applied to a clean surface to bond the the clear coat or paint.

FUNX650
04-29-2014, 09:02 PM
No...not necessary.

Instead of worrying about UP's oils...I'd be more concerned about marring the paint with an IPA-wipedown.

Besides:
Collinite #845 is a carnauba-based Wax.

Bob

Kamakaz1961
04-29-2014, 09:05 PM
IMO you are better off using a pre-wax cleaner or IPA at a diluted ratio. This will be prior to putting on your wax or sealant. I would do that because polish does leave some residue that should be removed. If you do not do that, then IMO the sealant/wax will not last as long and the gloss and shine might not be perfect.

Calendyr
04-29-2014, 09:28 PM
I prefer to do it. Removing as much oil as possible and making the surface as bare as possible insures that the sealant will get a good bonding with the paint.

Maring the paint with a wet microfiber towel is not something that worries me much. Maybe some day it will happen and I will have to think about this some more but for now I think the good really outweight the possible bad.

davey g-force
04-29-2014, 09:41 PM
If you go straight from UP (or UC) to a Meguiars wax like UW, then you won't need an IPA wipedown.

Meguiars states that all their products are compatible with each other and that it's not necessary to remove polishing oils etc before applying wax.

In fact, I'm sure I read somewhere that it actually HELPS the wax bonding process to not clean the surface prior (if using all Meg's products).

lineman
04-29-2014, 09:44 PM
I prefer to do it. Removing as much oil as possible and making the surface as bare as possible insures that the sealant will get a good bonding with the paint.

Maring the paint with a wet microfiber towel is not something that worries me much. Maybe some day it will happen and I will have to think about this some more but for now I think the good really outweight the possible bad. I myself am confused when it comes to using a sealant such as Opti-Seal. They claim you can put it over a waxed surface and it will migrate thru the wax to the paint. True ?

HD.Detailing
04-29-2014, 09:57 PM
i'm torn.. I do if the product says to (ie. coatings) if it doesn't say then you can go without.. I will kind of quote one of the icons on here "I've never seen an LSP on the floor in the morning" haha

I'm sure Mike will correct my attempt of quoting as I'm too tired to look for it.

FUNX650
04-29-2014, 10:08 PM
If you go straight from UP (or UC) to a Meguiars wax like UW, then you won't need an IPA wipedown.

Meguiars states that all their products are compatible with each other and that it's not necessary to remove polishing oils etc before applying wax.

In fact, I'm sure I read somewhere that it actually HELPS the wax bonding process to not clean the surface prior (if using all Meg's products).
This might have what you're talking about:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html

i'm torn.. I do if the product says to (ie. coatings) if it doesn't say then you can go without.. I will kind of quote one of the icons on here "I've never seen an LSP on the floor in the morning" haha

I'm sure Mike will correct my attempt of quoting as I'm too tired to look for it.
From the above link:

Originally Posted by Mosca
"I've never walked out into a garage only to find out that overnight the wax or paint sealant I applied slipped off the car's paint and piled-up on the floor surrounding the car because it didn't bond or stick to the paint".

Bob

allenk4
04-29-2014, 10:17 PM
No...not necessary.

Instead of worrying about UP's oils...I'd be more concerned about marring the paint with an IPA-wipedown.

Besides:
Collinite #845 is a carnauba-based Wax.

Bob

Mark it down... I agree with FUNX725 AGAIN!

allenk4
04-29-2014, 10:29 PM

Maring the paint with a wet microfiber towel is not something that worries me much. Maybe some day it will happen and I will have to think about this some more but for now I think the good really outweight the possible bad.

He said he is using Collinite #845 he is NOT applying a sealant.

Any evidence you have that Carnauba wax bonds to the paint is great new news to me