PDA

View Full Version : proper tool for polishing wheels

CowboyTruckn
04-29-2014, 07:53 PM
I just picked up a set of wheels (factory alloy clear coat). I'm going to polish them before I put them on the car. My buffer won't come close to fitting so what do you guys use? I'm planning on using either the cg series or the 105/205 combo.

Quiksilver5882
04-29-2014, 07:59 PM
You could try it by hand but that might take quite some time! I suggest a 3 inch backing plate on a PC7424 XP and some 4 inch pads.

Rmd
04-29-2014, 08:00 PM
You can use the mothers power cone with a drill. It works well. AG also has some rotary drill foam cones too if I recall.

trekkeruss
04-29-2014, 08:01 PM
If they are new, I would iron-x, clay, polish by hand, and seal. I doubt they would need to be compounded with 105.

RTexasF
04-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Foam pad by hand, mild polish, (if it's even needed) and sealant.

allenk4
04-29-2014, 08:08 PM
What type of defects are you trying to correct?

Do you have any close-up pictures?

Would help us help you

Just02896
04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
If you just want to maximize gloss before adding protection, I'm in agreement with others who have already recommended a light machine polish and sealant or wax. I've found that wheel woolies work pretty well in the chuck of a drill!

CowboyTruckn
04-29-2014, 08:48 PM
The wheels are upgraded factory wheels that I'm getting for a steal from a friend who is going aftermarket. They have 2k to 2.5k miles on them. They are dodge hyperblack finish. I know they were taken through car washes so just wanting to remove swirl type defect if any. I'm assuming so cause he isn't as particular as me.

Just need something to get between spokes

CowboyTruckn
04-29-2014, 08:53 PM
This is the type of wheel

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
I have the Chemical Guys Ball Buster, I think the smaller 3" one. Aside from the hilarious, or stupid depending on your maturity level. It works well. Unfortunately for me I have a driver and I'm too lazy to buy a chuck adapter thingy so it'll work with it. I did borrow my neighbors 18v cordless drill and this thing did a number on my rims. I would never do rims by hand now. It's so much faster and will give you better results.

I have no idea about it's durability, I'm not going to lie it seems like it won't hold up well. But that's just me assuming.

allenk4
04-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Can't give you any advice yet...Really need a close-up that shows the imperfections in the actual wheel you are trying to correct.

-Water spots
-Type I or Type II

-Swirls
-Light
-Deep

-Iron/Brake Dust Deposits

-Etching

-Overspray
-Baggie Test...feel rough?

All of these questions must be answered before anyone can give you informed advice.

KBsToy
04-30-2014, 07:06 AM
You can use the mothers power cone with a drill. It works well. AG also has some rotary drill foam cones too if I recall.

Did this on my Camaro. I used XMT 360...

CowboyTruckn
04-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Can't give you any advice yet...Really need a close-up that shows the imperfections in the actual wheel you are trying to correct.

-Water spots
-Type I or Type II

-Swirls
-Light
-Deep

-Iron/Brake Dust Deposits

-Etching

-Overspray
-Baggie Test...feel rough?

All of these questions must be answered before anyone can give you informed advice.

Thanks but I think you're reading too much into it.

Just normal polishing, won't know until I get them. I just need to know what to use to apply the polish. So far I think the pc is out, have to check out the ball buster and power cone.

I plan on washing, iron x, claying, polishing, and finally sealant whether it needs it or not.