PDA

View Full Version : Squeegee drying...

Pages : [1] 2

mjv231
04-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Probably a newbee question but drying your car with squeegee? What are your thoughts? Going to scratch the living hell out of the car? Or not if it has been clayed? Was just thinking about it as I saw someone selling it at the NY Auto show this past weekend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyG
04-29-2014, 05:15 PM
I have a theory...

Any object that comes in contact with the finish can impart defects.

I wash, rinse, then blow-dry the finish to minimize defects...:props:

trekkeruss
04-29-2014, 05:30 PM
My radical theory is that any drying method can impart defects if there are still latent particles on the surface. Even drying with forced air doesn't guarantee no damage because the air can drag those particles along the surface. It might even be possible that high speed air could do more damage, as the force would be greater than the lighter touch of say, blotting with a towel.

I think the main thing is that there is nothing left after washing but clean rinse water. If you have that, any method of drying should be safe.

allenk4
04-29-2014, 05:41 PM
My radical theory is that any drying method can impart defects if there are still latent particles on the surface. Even drying with forced air doesn't guarantee no damage because the air can drag those particles along the surface. It might even be possible that high speed air could do more damage, as the force would be greater than the lighter touch of say, blotting with a towel.

I think the main thing is that there is nothing left after washing but clean rinse water. If you have that, any method of drying should be safe.

Wrong

trekkeruss
04-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Wrong

I'm not so sure as you. How is sandblasting done? With sand...and forced air. But like I said, the main thing is that the car really is clean after washing (aside from imbedded material that only claying could remove).

aztec1987
04-29-2014, 06:02 PM
I avoid using a squeegee, I have seen my brother use one on his car to dry it out, the first pass was smooth but then you can actually hear the plastic contact with the paint in where it left some minor scratches. I didn't tell him anything since I wanted him to learn by experience.

allenk4
04-29-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm not so sure as you. How is sandblasting done? With sand...and forced air. But like I said, the main thing is that the car really is clean after washing (aside from imbedded material that only claying could remove).

Are you comparing sandblasting to drying a clean car with forced air?

trekkeruss
04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Are you comparing sandblasting to drying a clean car with forced air?

Did you read what I wrote? The part about the car being clean? If the car is not clean, then yes, I am comparing sandblasting to drying a car with forced air.

swanicyouth
04-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Squeegees are for amateurs. All pros use high quality microfiber, DI water, or some type of Master Blaster to dry with. Maybe someone can call me out and find a video of Paul Dalton or someone using a squeegee... But, I doubt it.

I tend to look at what the guys who know their stuff are using - and then try to follow them. Read Mike Phillip's book. I don't recall him recommending a squeegee.

Kamakaz1961
04-29-2014, 06:13 PM
I would never use a squeegee. That WILL Scratch the paint PERIOD. No theories, or scientific methods or any other theory will change my mind. A squeegee is just asking for scratches.

I have a Black car as my DD. I blow dry the car and wipe excess or pat dry with a Waffle Weave towel.

Till this day I have no problems with this technique. As for the squeegee method never have and never will. If there are so many other drying techniques why use the worst one...which is the squeegee? Again, My opinion.

Pirate Bman
04-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Which begs the question than how come some respective companies sell those as over the counter type things.

allenk4
04-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Did you read what I wrote? The part about the car being clean? If the car is not clean, then yes, I am comparing sandblasting to drying a car with forced air.

I did indeed read your post, which also included:

"It might even be possible that high speed air could do more damage, as the force would be greater than the lighter touch of say, blotting with a towel."

I am having difficulty understanding how a technique that touches the paint could be safer than one that does not touch the paint.

allenk4
04-29-2014, 06:25 PM

So, if you wet a dirty car down and then dry it with only forced air...that is equivalent to sand blasting?

trekkeruss
04-29-2014, 06:32 PM
I did indeed read your post, which also included:

"It might even be possible that high speed air could do more damage, as the force would be greater than the lighter touch of say, blotting with a towel."

I am having difficulty understanding how a technique that touches the paint could be safer than one that does not touch the paint.

Just because you don't see something touching the paint doesn't mean pressure is not being applied.

trekkeruss
04-29-2014, 06:35 PM
So, if you wet a dirty car down and then dry it with only forced air...that is equivalent to sand blasting?

Now you are being ridiculous. Equivalent? Of course not. But would you do that? I'm betting no.