PDA

View Full Version : Razors on glass?

KYClear
04-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Hey Mike I wanted to ask your opinion on this. I have been in the full service carwash business for about fourteen years next door to a detail shop that my good friend has. My knowledge of detailing is limited however. I have used new razor blades and lubrication to remove dried pine sap, paint overspray, sticker adhesive etc.. from glass. I'm very careful and have never visibly scratched a window to my knowledge. Is the consensus in the detailing world that this is crazy? Then what's your opinion? I respect your opinion.

I would have no problem removing something on a new high end car right in the driver's line of sight. I've done it many times and if I have ever scratched one no one has ever said so. I mean if you can't see scratches in bright daylight, is it so crazy?

808_detail_nut
04-28-2014, 05:49 PM
I know this question is not for me but are you using metal razor blades? If so try looking into plastic ones. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

808_detail_nut
04-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Also a steam cleaner does great on sticker residue among other things. If you ask me I would not use metal razor blades, too risky for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

allenk4
04-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Larry from AMMO NYC uses a razor blade:

Best Glass Cleaning Tricks: Bentley CGT - YouTube (http://youtu.be/q4WwOrkgXlc)

FUNX650
04-28-2014, 05:59 PM
I've done the same thing over the years.
(Taken razor blades to glass-top stoves too.)

But...
Anymore it seems like auto/glass has become "thinner" (weight saving measures) and more scratch-sensitive...

With, IMHO:
Due diligence being the definitive standard-of-care, when cleaning contaminated auto-glass with sharpened instruments, now more than ever.

Bob

chet31
04-28-2014, 09:40 PM
I was once at a home products show, and one of the booths was a window company. They offered various material for people to try to scratch their glass - including razor blades. Couldn't do it with a razor blade. I also recall reading somewhere that metal scrapers wouldn't scratch glass, but contaminants on the scraper could - plaster dust, sand, etc. Maybe make sure you are using a new blade and don't go out of your way to scratch, you'll probably be OK.

artofdetailing
04-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Clean the window first and then use the blade. Otherwise you will scratch the glass up very badly

HD.Detailing
04-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Use only SS blades and be sure to use a lube and hold at a 45 degree angle, that technique will not hurt the glass, in fact as a window film installer too, we use them to prep glass before installation.

Having said that if the glass has pits or chips I would be very careful as I have seen glass shatter when the blade hits those pits.

Sent from my Alien Ship

Marc Hufnagel
04-28-2014, 10:08 PM
I remember I was cleaning up a Jeep Cherokee some years ago and used a metal razor blade on the 3 rear windows of it. Tracers everywhere if you looked at it in the sun.

Learned my lesson from that one time. Yes it did sell later that day.

Mike Burke
04-28-2014, 10:20 PM
I work at a glass shop....have all my live, family business, and we have always used razor blades on glass to clean varies stuff off. Now...you want to make sure to use plenty of lube (glass cleaner).

But.......strange thing is that if you use blades on mirror and not careful it will show the scratches left by razor blades. Maybe not the razor blade itself is scratching it.... but the material that is being removed. That's why its important to use Plenty of Lube.

But that's on annealed glass which is softer than the tempered that is on the side,back and sun roofs of most cars. Even the windshields are harder than regular glass because they have been heated up to form and then cooled...which makes them a little harder.

I use a razor blades to take the stickers off of new windshields that I install and have had now problems.

parttimer
04-29-2014, 07:00 AM
I have used them before, you can buy a jumbo pack on the cheap from large hardware stores. Use a new one each time and toss them.

DogRescuer
04-29-2014, 07:06 AM
I work at a glass shop....have all my live, family business, and we have always used razor blades on glass to clean varies stuff off. Now...you want to make sure to use plenty of lube (glass cleaner).

But.......strange thing is that if you use blades on mirror and not careful it will show the scratches left by razor blades. Maybe not the razor blade itself is scratching it.... but the material that is being removed. That's why its important to use Plenty of Lube.

But that's on annealed glass which is softer than the tempered that is on the side,back and sun roofs of most cars. Even the windshields are harder than regular glass because they have been heated up to form and then cooled...which makes them a little harder.

I use a razor blades to take the stickers off of new windshields that I install and have had now problems.
Always nice to hear from a subject specific "pro" thanks

Mike Phillips
04-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Hey Mike I wanted to ask your opinion on this. I have been in the full service carwash business for about fourteen years next door to a detail shop that my good friend has. My knowledge of detailing is limited however. I have used new razor blades and lubrication to remove dried pine sap, paint overspray, sticker adhesive etc.. from glass. I'm very careful and have never visibly scratched a window to my knowledge.

Is the consensus in the detailing world that this is crazy? Then what's your opinion? I respect your opinion.

I've used razors on glass without problems you just have to be very careful. Steel will scratch glass.

I don't recommend it to others as I don't want the responsibility for any mistakes they might make taking my recommendation.

The risk is the edges of the razor blade digging into the glass.

So here's my opinion since you asked for it...

For everyone reading this into the future, if -->you<-- decide to use a razor blade on glass to remove anything be aware that the potential exists to scratch the glass.

Be ready to accept the responsibility for scratching the glass from your choice and actions and then pay the price.

How's that?

:)

hernandez.art13
04-29-2014, 08:16 AM
We use a razor blade at the body shop all the time on glass to remove over spray paint that might have gotten on the glass. It's fairly easy to do if done correctly, but like Mike has said he doesn't recommend it to others.

Well I also don't want to start recommending it to others :D

Art Hernandez is not responsible for any glass that has been scratched or damaged by a razor blade by someone that has read this post. :)

oh yeah, I also (just for fun :hungry:) I used a razor blade to remove over spray on actual automotive paint. Was fun and a new experience that I highly recommend nobody should try. If you do want to try it then get a test panel.

Im the MAN