PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat Wheel Prep Endpoint

TD_05
04-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Hello-

Prepping third set of wheels for opti coat application. It's for a personal car. First two sets were brand new or close to it. This set hasn't been cared for. Here's my prep process

remove wheels
typical wheel wash and dry (including sonax)
Iron X
rinse
CG grime reaper (not diluted) & agitate with brush
clay
dry

Attached is a representative close up of the wheel after above steps.
(note the remaining grime in the upper crease, and the remaining brake dust looking and feeling material in the lower portion of photo)

Would you guys accept this prior to opti coat? I'm not sure if I want to invest the time and product if this is the "starting point" prior to sealant application.

If you'd go further in opti coat prep what would you suggest in addition to the above steps?

Thanks

TD

WillWashesCars
04-27-2014, 05:00 PM
All of the above will net you very clean wheels. I would follow up with an IPA wipedown and then you are all set to go!

VP Mark
04-27-2014, 05:17 PM
All of the above will net you very clean wheels. I would follow up with an IPA wipedown and then you are all set to go!

This is exactly what I think. Make sure to do IPA just to remove any residue from the claying/grime reaper.

Whether the wheels are in sufficient condition to coat or not, that is really up to you. :xyxthumbs:

allenk4
04-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Some suggest claying earlier in the process:

After Iron-X

Before APC

VP Mark is correct in suggesting an IPA wipe down after APC to remove any remaining sufactant left behind