PDA

View Full Version : Product drying to quickly

ge0rge
04-27-2014, 03:48 PM
I washed my FX today, and I decided to detail the hood in prep for DG 601/105. I started with Megs UC, then onto Megs UP. Both products dried way to fast when doing about an 18x18 section at a time. I realize I was in the sun, but the surface was cool to touch. I also primed the pad. I decided to use Megs QD as a wetting aid but to be honest I am disappointed. I am new to the DA, but plan to try again later when the sun goes down.

So is it normal for product to dry that fast, creating difficulties getting the desired finish?

allenk4
04-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Doing anything in the Sun is much more difficult.

Hopefully, you will have better results this evening.

ge0rge
04-27-2014, 04:00 PM
My paint color is Beryllium Pearl Metallic, long for 'Brown'. We shall see, I am hoping for better results. After much reading, I may have been using to much product. Still a rookie...

allenk4
04-27-2014, 04:03 PM
It does seem backwards that too much product will cause premature drying, but it is true.

With foam pads...prime them properly and then use as little additional product as possible.

Clean the pad "on the fly" with a towel or pad brush after each 2'x2' section.

Also remember that these products use SMAT abrasives that function the same on the 1st pass as the last. Frequently you can accomplish what you need with only 4 passes. A good Test Spot is crucial.

WillWashesCars
04-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Pick up a $100 tent from Walmart or Sports Authority. It will be a lifesaver in these situations and can be used on tons of other occasions. It's worth it!

Working in the sun is a nightmare, even with polishes designed to be used in the sun it can still be an annoyance.

HateSwirls
04-27-2014, 05:06 PM
There's not many products we can buy and use in the sun, Ultimate Compound cannot be worked in full sun.
If you had lights you could do it at night, or as said use a tent.

VP Mark
04-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Tons of sun friendly products out there or ones that work well enough if you are careful...

Poor boys products
HD lineup
Optimum stuff works well
XMT products works great in the sun
Megs ultimate paste wax

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

allenk4
04-27-2014, 06:06 PM
There's not many products we can buy and use in the sun, Ultimate Compound cannot be worked in full sun.
If you had lights you could do it at night, or as said use a tent.

UC can be used in full sun and under lights at night.

The issue is the Heat, not the Sunshine.

Wind is a second issue. I have found that working in even light wind can cause compounds & polishes to dry more quickly.

ge0rge
04-27-2014, 06:40 PM
I just hit the hood again. Sun went down, hood was very cool to touch, product performed as it should have. Under a 300w halogen worklight it looked good. We will see in the sun tomorrow. Thanks for the knowledge.

allenk4
04-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Good Deal!

ge0rge
04-28-2014, 10:48 AM
My hood looks incredible in the sun. Well worth the learning curve.