PDA

View Full Version : Body Shop Scratch/Swirl Correction

CAMMIN HEMI
04-27-2014, 08:39 AM
I had the misfortune of hitting a deer in Feb. The shop did a good job with the sheet metal repairs, body work, and paint match. Being it was an insurance job, I now have to correct the imperfections left by improper washing and buffing. I was hoping for better, but not surprised. I have an old PC G100, LC 5.5 ccs pads and Meguiars products. I was thinking of doing a test spot with a LC 5.5 white pad and Meg's 205. If the correction needs something with more bite to try a LC 5.5 orange pad and either Megs Swirlx or UC. Am I on the right path? Should I step up to a new PC 7424XP? In the past I haven't had much success using the G100 and 6" pads to remove scratches and swirls. I just got the 5" backing plate and LC 5.5" pads from AG after reading several of Mike's articles on polishing with a DA. What do the experts think!
Thanks!!!

Eandras
04-27-2014, 09:09 AM
I would do the same as you as far as combination of pads and polish. m205 should work. If it doesn't go to m205 with orange pad. The DA you have should be sufficient. Remember arm speed and size of your working area.

Ed

CAMMIN HEMI
04-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks Ed! Whenever I put just moderate pressure on the G100 it would just stop spinning. That's why I stopped using it and resorted to spot repair by hand. Is going to the 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads going to make the old G100 come alive?
Thanks!
John

CAMMIN HEMI
04-27-2014, 04:06 PM
One more question. The tops of my front fenders are about 2.5" wide. Can I safely use a 3" backing plate and pad to polish? Will they work with my G100? Or will the 5" pad be ok? Should I tape the hood edge or just raise it up? Sorry for all the questions, but polishing along the fender tops and keeping the pad flat will have both pad sizes depending on DA location, extending over one and/or both of the inside and outside edges. Is this dangerous? Should I just polish the tops of the fenders by hand? Thanks for the help!

CAMMIN HEMI
04-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Am I being paranoid and overthinking this?