PDA

View Full Version : Conducting a totally unfair comparison

RPPM
04-26-2014, 04:32 PM
I am in the midst of conducting an unfair comparison to test a few theories out. I know these tests are apples to oranges, but I thought why not to see how it turns out. They are:

1) How much effect does outside daily driver vs. garage kept short trip every other day kind of driver have on durability?

2) How much effect does using all products from same manufacturer (synergy) vs. mixing up all the products from different manufacturers play have on durability?

So with that in mind, today I did the following on the daily drivers that sit outside 24/7: One car is a 2011 Ford Fusion, burgandy paint, other is a 2005 Chevy Impala, refrigerator white.

1) Washed cars with conventional two bucket method and grit guards
2) Clayed using Megs consumer clay with Megs RFEW diluted to clay lube level
3) Next step was 4 parts DG 501mixed to 1 part DG 601 applied to both cars with a GG 6 with 5.5" Green B&S polishing pad and B&S 5" backing plate, speed 4. Wiped off with Uber Ultra Plush MF.
4) Then used 4 parts DG 105 mixed to 1 part DG 601 applied to both cars with GG 6 with 5.5" Black B&S finishing pad speed 3. Again, wiped off with Uber Ultra Plush MF.
5) Waited 3 hours, and repeated step 4 with a new finishing pad for each car.

My plan to maintain these two cars is to wash weekly using DG car wash, and alternate DG Fast Clean & Shine and DG Aquawax every other week. I hope to make it to October w/o having to redo everything.

The 2 sometimes drivers are a 2005 Pitch Black Ford Focus ST, and a 2007 True Red Mazda 3 Hatchback. I will use the same clay lube, clay, same size and color B&S pads, same DA and same speeds as above, same Uber MF to remove but will use the following products:

The AIO will be Poorboys Polish with Sealant, and after that, I will apply Collinite 845 and remove. 24 hours later, i will apply a 2nd coat of 845 to each vehicle. I will follow the same weekly washing regimen, but will use Megs Shampoo plus for the wash, and will alternate between Sonax Brilliant Detailer and Griots Spray wax every other week.

I am fully expecting the garaged, seldom driven far cars to make the 6 months w/o too much issue. Should be interesting to see if the DG products can hold up under much more harsh conditions. I will post monthly updates to this thread.

allenk4
04-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Is Burgandy a Candy Red version of Burgundy?

What the heck is Meguiar's RFEW

Process sounds fantastic....find something you like and use it often

RPPM
04-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Whoops, yes typo'd on the burgundy...sorry.

Meguiars RFEW=Rinse Free Express Wash

BillyJack
04-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Subscribed.
Kris,
You're gonna be impressed with the DG combos on the drivers. Every one of the past three winters, I've used Colli 845 or 476, two coats. On a parked outside 24/7 DD, protection would start to tail off by Feb. and be pretty much gone by March. This winter, I used DG 501 in Sept., and then DG105/601 topped with Colli 476 in late October. I'd try to wash with DG Rinseless every Saturday morning before work and use Aquawax once a month when drying. It's still beading strong. I'm not really nuts about the look of 501 or 105 after about a week or so, which is why I topped with Colli, but I'm sold on the longevity.

Bill

richy
04-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Looking forward to seeing your results. So that you're clear: you can IMMEDIATELY top the next coat if you use the 601 mixture like you did...no need to wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FUNX650
04-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Totally Unfair Comparison?
a.) Yes!
b.) No!
c.) Depends:
Do any of these vehicles...regardless of their DD status, or otherwise...
have a Single Stage (SS) paint system?

:D

Bob

RPPM
04-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Looking forward to seeing your results. So that you're clear: you can IMMEDIATELY top the next coat if you use the 601 mixture like you did...no need to wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Richy,

Yes, the three hours was more for me to take a small break :)

RPPM
04-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Subscribed.
Kris,
You're gonna be impressed with the DG combos on the drivers. Every one of the past three winters, I've used Colli 845 or 476, two coats. On a parked outside 24/7 DD, protection would start to tail off by Feb. and be pretty much gone by March. This winter, I used DG 501 in Sept., and then DG105/601 topped with Colli 476 in late October. I'd try to wash with DG Rinseless every Saturday morning before work and use Aquawax once a month when drying. It's still beading strong. I'm not really nuts about the look of 501 or 105 after about a week or so, which is why I topped with Colli, but I'm sold on the longevity.

Bill

Hi Bill, hope all is well with you. We should get together for lunch at Burgh's one of these days. I agree with you on the DG durability. I have a feeling that mix of products will pretty much laugh at the tougher conditions. While I think 845 is pretty durable, DG 105 with the 601 really seems to grab and hold the paint. I think the 2nd coat of that mixture really seemed to be the trick. I think the look improved greatly with the 2nd coat. It did take about 3 days for the look to get there.

With that said, I far and away prefer the look of the 845 over the DG products. Much more of a waxed look in my opinion.

RPPM
04-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Totally Unfair Comparison?
a.) Yes!
b.) No!
c.) Depends:
Do any of these vehicles...regardless of their DD status, or otherwise...
have a Single Stage (SS) paint system?

:D

Bob

Hi Bob, all CC paint, nothing single stage.

RPPM
04-29-2014, 08:30 AM
OK, this isn't going to work...I have tried to get my head around the look from the DG 105, and while the 2nd coat has improved it, still not right. It looks like a milkshake for lack of a better term. No pop, and this is on polished paint. Even after a coat of Aquawax. I think I will be taking it off and going with what I put on the other two cars. If someone wants some almost new DG 601, 501, 105, AW, FC&S, Rinseless Wash with AW, and DG Car soap, send me a PM. I will ship it to you. These are all 16 oz except for the AW and FC&S, they are 22 oz (and the 601 is only 8 oz). I will throw in 2 small mixing bottles. Free for the taking.

BillyJack
04-29-2014, 08:39 AM
PM sent

Bill

FASTFRED
04-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Subing for the results.:xyxthumbs: