PDA

View Full Version : Question on Griot's 3" DA

Pages : [1] 2

maximus5403
04-26-2014, 04:29 PM
So I just used my 3" Griots for the first time on speed 6 and after a few minutes it got so hot I had to put it down. After it kept happening I just boxed it up and am sending it back to Amazon for a refund.

Questions: I just ordered a Rupes Mini 75 E to replace it. Will this have the same problems with heat? Also, has anyone else had this problem with the Griot's?

01GreyStangGT
04-26-2014, 07:47 PM
I have had 2 3" Griots go bad on me. They exchanged them with no problem.

TundraPower
04-26-2014, 07:56 PM
So I just used my 3" Griots for the first time on speed 6 and after a few minutes it got so hot I had to put it down. After it kept happening I just boxed it up and am sending it back to Amazon for a refund.

Questions: I just ordered a Rupes Mini 75 E to replace it. Will this have the same problems with heat? Also, has anyone else had this problem with the Griot's?

Rupes 75E has no relationship to GG 3" other than being the same size. 75E is a revolutionary polisher.

Kamakaz1961
04-26-2014, 08:16 PM
I use my Griot's 3" sparingly. However, when I do (waxing car or small correction spots), I have had no issues. The good thing is that Griot's has an excellent warranty service.

I think the Rupes Mini 75 is superior to the Griot's 3". Rather then spend the $$ on getting a 3" DA get a 3" backing plate for your current DA and use that. It would be superior to both 3". IMO the 3" is a specialized DA and can be compensated by a backing plate that is 3" for your current DA whether it be a PC 7424 XP or a Griot's 6".

Had I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I would go the 3" backing plate route.

maximus5403
04-26-2014, 09:07 PM
The Griot's is definitely getting returned. I am not happy with it.

My other DA is a Rupes Bigfoot 21, so I think the Rupes mini will be a good fit. The mini looks to have more correcting power than the Griots too.

Calendyr
04-26-2014, 11:55 PM
I use my Griot's 3" sparingly. However, when I do (waxing car or small correction spots), I have had no issues. The good thing is that Griot's has an excellent warranty service.

I think the Rupes Mini 75 is superior to the Griot's 3". Rather then spend the $$ on getting a 3" DA get a 3" backing plate for your current DA and use that. It would be superior to both 3". IMO the 3" is a specialized DA and can be compensated by a backing plate that is 3" for your current DA whether it be a PC 7424 XP or a Griot's 6".

Had I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I would go the 3" backing plate route.

Agreed. That is what I did on my Meguiar's polisher. I don't use the GG3" anymore.

AeroCleanse
04-27-2014, 02:41 AM

Nope, the Rupes LHR 75 E is a much better machine

Kamakaz1961
04-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Update on the 3" Griot's DA. Today I used it for putting on wax. This machine is best for putting on wax or a sealant. You can dial down the speed to 3 and just go at it. IMO, this is the best DA for that. It is small enough to get at areas a larger DA can't and it is lighter than larger ones so it is very maneuverable.

Now, if you get that Rupes....wow!!! That would be awesome!!!

So IMO the Griot's 3" has its purpose.

KBsToy
04-28-2014, 04:47 AM
As stated in above post the 3" has its place. I use mine around tight places and can be used for applying wax / sealant.

I also have the 6" with a 5" backing plate for correcting / polishing.

Are you a novice and only do your own cars ? Also you want to spend the bucks for a rupes?

Your choice.

maximus5403
04-28-2014, 06:57 AM
The Griots 3" is getting sent back today. I ordered the Rupes mini yesterday from Kevin Brown, so I should have it this week.

I do only detail my own cars, but it's worth the investment to get the right machines over paying someone to detail my cars. My LHR21 paired with the Mini should make an excellent combination.

Mike Phillips
04-28-2014, 07:04 AM
I use the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher all the time. If you look through any of the write-ups from the project cars we work on we use it to machine apply wax all the time.

It's also a great tool for machine damp sanding. Stick a 3" Unigrit or Trizact disc on it and it's a MUST HAVE tool if you ever do any wetsanding work.

:dblthumb2:

swanicyouth
04-28-2014, 07:05 AM
So I just used my 3" Griots for the first time on speed 6 and after a few minutes it got so hot I had to put it down. After it kept happening I just boxed it up and am sending it back to Amazon for a refund

I ordered the Rupes mini yesterday from Kevin Brown, so I should have it this week.

You know AutoGeek sells the Rupes Mini, the Griots 3", and all the accessories to support them. You should try buying from them sometime. They do support this forum, and they are pretty nice people as well.

Mike Phillips
04-28-2014, 07:29 AM
I've never had one overheat on me. I've had bearings wear out but that's usually after hours and hours of use. Never an overheating issue though.

FWIF

:)

maximus5403
04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
You know AutoGeek sells the Rupes Mini, the Griots 3", and all the accessories to support them. You should try buying from them sometime. They do support this forum, and they are pretty nice people as well.

In the past 6 months I have spent over $1500 with Autogeek. For a person that only details their own cars I am sure there are not many that spend that kind of money. I bought my big foot 21 from them on a no exclusion sale. The only reason I went with Kevin Brown on the mini is because he threw in a set of pads, nearly free shipping, and I would have to pay Florida sales tax if I bought from Autogeek. I definitely would have purchased from Autogeek if they were currently having a no exclusion sale.

I see a lot of people use the griots as a wax spreader, but since I am doing coatings on my vehicles I am only interested in a 3" I can use for correcting paint in areas my Bigfoot 21 can't get in.

I did contact Griots and they said it should not be getting hot like that and they would RMA for a new one since it looks to be defective.

KBsToy
04-29-2014, 05:06 AM
I see by your post that that the detailing bug has got you. This can be an expensive hobby in no time by reading the forums and buying products in search of that perfect shine.

I have bought numerous products here and at autopia which have added up to mucho dollars also. The people at Auto geek are great with advice and customer service.

If your happy with your Rupes and it makes detailng easier for you great...

Like I said before I have had no problem with my Griots and they work great in detailing our cars.

Enjoy ....