PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire Duo Questions for a newb

Julesh
04-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi,
I have the blackfire duo and I want to correct swirls and mild scratches in my 09 Mercedes. I have a few questions.

I used to use wolfgang by hand, but now I've just started using the porter cable.

How hard do you press? I notice if I press harder the pad stops spinning and the index mark I made stops moving. So I assume I'm just using the weight of the porter cable with a little added light pressure?

I am going to clay, then I was going to use Wolfgang polish enhancer to get any old sealant and stuff off. Is this step necessary, or a waste of time? I figured I should get the paint as clean as possible before I start polishing. Which pad should I use for this? Right now I have LC CCS orange, white and red pads. I tried this on my Wife's new car, and it seemed to increase the shine, but I used a red pad and I think I should have used white.

Then I was going to use the duo. SRC compound first right? With an orange pad?

Then I was going to use the finishing polish. Can I use this with the white pad? I saw someone said to use grey.

Then I am going to use Wolfgang sealant with the red pad.

Then the next day I am going to put some Meguiars wax on that I have. Just going to wax it every few weeks until I use up this wax.

Thanks!

BlackRam
04-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Have you checked your paint code? If not check your code to see if there is a "C" to indicate you have Ceramiclear Paint? If so, read this first

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html

WRAPT C5Z06
04-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Then I was going to use the duo. SRC compound first right? With an orange pad?

Then I was going to use the finishing polish. Can I use this with the white pad? I saw someone said to use grey.

Then I am going to use Wolfgang sealant with the red pad.

Then the next day I am going to put some Meguiars wax on that I have. Just going to wax it every few weeks until I use up this wax.

Thanks!
If there's a lot of defects, the orange pad may not be aggressive enough.

White pad with the finishing polish is perfect.

Porter Cable has taken a back seat to most new polishers.

Use as much pressure that will still allow the pad to have ample rotation. Speed 6!

Good luck!

hernandez.art13
04-26-2014, 08:06 PM
What size pads do you have? Mf cutting pads have great cutting power too.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-26-2014, 08:09 PM
What size pads do you have? Mf cutting pads have great cutting power too.
:dblthumb2:

Julesh
04-27-2014, 09:21 AM
I have 5.5" pads.

I do have ceramiclear. Man this sucks. Think I should probably leave it alone if it is ceramiclear and just clay, seal and wax it again? I did use a cleaner wax once. And my car has been hit twice. Once on the side causing a lot of damage, and another time on the bumper. So it has hard parts of it painted twice. This was done by a shop that used ceramiclear I think but I'm not positive. They specialize in Mercs, Audi's etc.

Maybe I should try a test patch on the roof of the car with a white pad and the blackfire finishing polish first to see how that looks. I can always move up to an orange pad and the compound if needed.

BlackRam
04-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Check out this thread, I just did an 07 S550 yesterday that had C040 paint.
It had alot of swirls. I didn't get it perfect because I was a little nervous with the Ceramiclear paint. I ended using different pads and poliahes for different areas of the car.
Keep us posted.

BlackRam
04-27-2014, 07:31 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/79701-2007-mercedes-benz-s550.html

W/ link now