PDA

View Full Version : I wound up with a bottle of Mirror Glaze 3 some how

Chrono
04-26-2014, 12:36 PM
and I'm out of finishing polish. Can I use this #3 as a final polish? Can I expect similar results as UP? I would be doing a "cleanse" prior to LSP so maybe, so maybe that defeats the purpose of a glaze. I'm not interested in filling-in, just the polishing aspects.

I know the #3 is ancient technology, and I don't mind spending $10 on some UP if this #3 ain't the ticket.

I will be using a Griots DA and I have Orange, Black, and White.
:help:

FUNX650
04-26-2014, 02:02 PM
-M03 is a very, very mild polish.
Excellent used as a finishing-polish.
(Use with a white polishing pad on the DA)

-"Cleansing" afterwards?
What's the category of the LSP you will be applying?

As an aside:
It would be interesting to me to find out why you stated
that Mirror Glaze M03 is ancient technology.
Care to share the reason(s)? Thanks.

Bob

Chrono
04-26-2014, 03:29 PM
-M03 is a very, very mild polish.
Excellent used as a finishing-polish.
(Use with a white polishing pad on the DA)

-"Cleansing" afterwards?
What's the category of the LSP you will be applying?

As an aside:
that Mirror Glaze M03 is ancient technology.

Bob

There's a post where Mike said that M3 is from the 30's or 40's then he showed an ancient looking bottle of it. I'm using the term ancient gregariously but you get the point.

I will be using 845 then after cure, 915. I don't want polishing oils on the finish before LSP. I was thinking if m3 is a true glaze, then wiping the oils away defeats the purpose, but as long as it works as well as Ultimate Polish, I'll be happy.

FUNX650
04-26-2014, 04:13 PM
There's a post where Mike said that M3 is from the 30's or 40's then he showed an ancient looking bottle of it. I'm using the term ancient gregariously but you get the point.

Though I do appreciate your responding to my query:

I was not expecting the singling out of the word ancient as to the explanation I was seeking...
It was also the use of the technology component, along with the ancient component of: ancient technology...in its whole.

Sociably Yours,

Bob

I know the #3 is ancient technology,

As an aside:
that Mirror Glaze M03 is ancient technology

Bob

Chrono
04-26-2014, 04:24 PM
My implication is that M3 may not contain the newer DAT or SMAT or chemical polish technology we enjoy today. Just a low grit sand. ? I don't know, but since you say it's an excellent finishing polish, I'll save my $10 and trip to the store and give it a try!

FUNX650
04-26-2014, 04:55 PM
My implication is that M3 may not contain the newer DAT or SMAT or chemical polish technology we enjoy today. Just a low grit sand. ? I don't know, but since you say it's an excellent finishing polish, I'll save my $10 and trip to the store and give it a try!

Abrasive(s) Technology and Terminology {AT&T :D}
-Who came up with names like DAT/SMAT?
This is accredited to Meguiar's.

Therefore:
-If a Meguiar's compound/Polish is not SMAT, is it then DAT.
Or vice versa?

-Are Meguiar's DAT compounds/polishes ancient technology?

Meguiar's, along with other Brands' AT&T:
While it may not be quite like a Cracker Jack surprise...
It's amazing what type of abrasives that can found in "today's modern" compounds, polishes, and LSPs.
(Yes! Even some LSPs)

Bob

BillyJack
04-26-2014, 05:04 PM
M03 may be old tech, but it's still good stuff. Very little cut, but a nice finishing polish. I've used it for 30 years, especially on single-stage paints. It definitely does have some oil content, so it wouldn't be good to use it before a coating, but I can attest that it plays well with all three popular Collinite products, 845,476 and 915.

Bill

Chrono
04-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Someone gave me this bottle and I accepted it graciously thinking to myself "Glaze? That's for cheaters" but maybe this stuff will change my mind. Thanks Bill for the comment about Collinite. I do loves me some Collinite so I'm glad they get along.

FUNX650
04-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Someone gave me this bottle and I accepted it graciously thinking to myself "Glaze? That's for cheaters" but maybe this stuff will change my mind. Thanks Bill for the comment about Collinite. I do loves me some Collinite so I'm glad they get along.
Just as Meguiar's has their own naming process for the types of abrasives they use in their compounds and polishes (DAT/SMAT)...
The same holds true regarding their naming processes for their products that contain these abrasives.

As such:
M03 is a true polish, not a glaze.

Bob

allenk4
04-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Crono,

For some reason, not sure why...you and AZTEC 1987 are scaring me

FUNX650
04-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Crono,

For some reason, not sure why...you and (_______) are scaring me
RE: Scarey/Chrono.

These are a couple of my reasons: :D

•Once I settle on a $89, pretty looking pot of wax from Europe with a groovy name that smells great,
-I have an emotional attachment before I even use it.
I'm human and not above liking attractive and good smelling things.
-Good thing, it shines like crazy.

•Personally, I'm equally fond of a foul-smelling $18 bottle of Collinite. 845 is hard to beat. Or is it?

•I've made my own waxes that are a bear to use but shine like no tomorrow. Or do they?

•I love my (almost empty) bottle of Supernatural Spray Wax,
-but I have a stronger bond to my home-brewed spray wax.
-After all the time I spent on it, you better believe it shines like the dickens. Or does it? I have faith it does.

:eek:

Bob

Note:
J/K, Chrono :)

Chrono
04-27-2014, 03:02 AM
You guys are killing me. I have personally thanked both of you on various threads, so I'm playing nice. What's so scary about my posts?

Who is Aztek 19whatever. And whomever he is, if he has a Pontiac Aztec, Ralphy from the Simpsons says "ahh haa!"

I can show you a link about my home-made spray wax on another forum, complete with pictures and ingredients, if you IM me.

Chrono
04-27-2014, 03:08 AM
Just as Meguiar's has their own naming process for the types of abrasives they use in their compounds and polishes (DAT/SMAT)...
The same holds true regarding their naming processes for their products that contain these abrasives.

As such:
M03 is a true polish, not a glaze.

Bob

Very helpful Bob, thanks. Even UP says Glaze on it, but for some reason that didn't register with me.

BTW a well respected.detailer told me that UP is 205. Dunno.

BillE
04-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Just FYI...

The name, "Mirror Glaze" was just the brand name that Meguiar's has used since...well. forever.

If you look at a bottle of M-105, it too says "Mirror Glaze." Needless to say, 105 ain't a 'glaze'.

Bill