PDA

View Full Version : Harbor freight 6'' da polisher pad question

jstevens66
04-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Hi, I got a HF da polisher last week, works great!!! Just wanted to know if anyone ever used the 8'' pads on them instead of the 6''? I bought a couple to try out but haven't got around to using them yet. Anybody use the bigger pads on it before?

VISITOR
04-25-2014, 04:30 PM
buy a 5" DA backing plate and some 5.5" pads instead...

jstevens66
04-25-2014, 04:59 PM

But with the 5'' backing plate, and smaller pads, you would have to change out the counter weight so it would vibrate your arms off, lol. I probably won't do that, just want to know if anyone used the 8'' pads with the 6'' backing plate that came with it? Trying to get things done faster, we all have trucks, a lot more area to cover than a car. Thanks for the input though.

ski2
04-25-2014, 05:18 PM
But with the 5'' backing plate, and smaller pads, you would have to change out the counter weight so it would vibrate your arms off, lol. I probably won't do that, just want to know if anyone used the 8'' pads with the 6'' backing plate that came with it? Trying to get things done faster, we all have trucks, a lot more area to cover than a car. Thanks for the input though.

You do not need to change the counter weight to use a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. Many have done it with great results and it doesn't vibrate any more than a 6" backing plate.

It is debatable that a 8" pad would get things done faster. Smaller pads correct defects more effeciently and therefore save time. So you might be covering a smaller area but you are able to complete the correction quicker.

There are a couple of threads regarding the HF DA here on AG -- just do a search.

jstevens66
04-25-2014, 05:28 PM
You do not need to change the counter weight to use a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. Many have done it with great results and it doesn't vibrate any more than a 6" backing plate.

It is debatable that a 8" pad would get things done faster. Smaller pads correct defects more effeciently and therefore save time. So you might be covering a smaller area but you are able to complete the correction quicker.

There are a couple of threads regarding the HF DA here on AG -- just do a search.

Will do, thanks for the input ski

tpr1634
04-25-2014, 07:39 PM
I have no experience with these's pads however a co worker has been working on a boat he purchased. He showed me the harbor pads they are crap compared to lake country. I gave him some hex logic to get him started, I wish I had snapped a picture the pad it was self destructing. He purchased the harbor freight DA polisher, I wished him luck. :buffing:

The Guz
04-25-2014, 11:14 PM

Agreed. I had a chance to use it. Worked just fine.

No need to change the counterweight. The 5.5" pads will use the machines power more effectively than a larger pad.

jstevens66
04-26-2014, 09:49 AM
I have no experience with these's pads however a co worker has been working on a boat he purchased. He showed me the harbor pads they are crap compared to lake country. I gave him some hex logic to get him started, I wish I had snapped a picture the pad it was self destructing. He purchased the harbor freight DA polisher, I wished him luck. :buffing:

Yea their pads definitely aren't the best quality. I had one of the compounding pads fall apart on me, but I got a few of each of them, mind as well use them, then switch to a LC backing plate and pads after.

Franco
05-01-2014, 03:33 PM
I just got the harbor freight and I've gone through 4 orange pads, they keep falling apart and flying off. I didn't want to wait till mine came from Amazon. I'm buying some good ones on this site. I was using the "clean on the fly" with a terry towel so I'm not sure why this was happening.

Anyone have any idea?

ski2
05-01-2014, 07:53 PM
I just got the harbor freight and I've gone through 4 orange pads, they keep falling apart and flying off. I didn't want to wait till mine came from Amazon. I'm buying some good ones on this site. I was using the "clean on the fly" with a terry towel so I'm not sure why this was happening.

Anyone have any idea?

If you are using the HF backing plate that came with the unit with the HF pads you will note that the Velcro on the backing plate goes beyond the Velcro on the pad. So when you apply pressure while polishing the backing plate Velcro chews up the pad.

Hope you purchased a new 5" backing plate to go with the new pads you bought bkz the HF backing plate is not of very high quality. Everyone I've seen has had a bad wobble to it.

cheapbutshiny
05-02-2014, 12:01 AM
I've had issues with the HF backing plate and pads too. A friend was using the orange compounding pad recently and it literally blew to pieces during buffing. I found bits scattered in a 30 foot radius. Just bought a 5" BP and 5.5" lake country pads. I'm excited to start using them because I'm sure anything will be better than that.

BlackPearl
05-09-2014, 03:23 PM
I have had no issues with the pads when using my LC backing plate.

jstevens66
05-09-2014, 03:39 PM
I have had no issues with the pads when using my LC backing plate.

I think if you just get the LC backing plate, you won't tear up the pads. Do you happen to know the backing plate part number BlackPearl? I'm going to order one, and want to make sure I get the correct one for the HF 6'' DA. Thanks!!!