PDA

View Full Version : LC 3in cyan issue

Legacykid
04-25-2014, 12:24 PM
So I used my 3in cyan pad with a GG3 on speed 6. I was doing the C pillar on a mini cooper, which is plastic. and this happened...
http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz65/efigurelli/Mobile%20Uploads/20140425_130423_zpsxewfmx71.jpg (http://s814.photobucket.com/user/efigurelli/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140425_130423_zpsxewfmx71.jpg.html)

Now the problem is this is not the first time a cyan pad did this to me. The first time it was said maybe it got to hot, which I believe wasnt true, so maybe its a defect. w.e it was replaced all was well.

Now the problem with this one was that I only used it on maybe 3inx4in area for maybe 40-50 seconds max! As I was testing out how to do this plastic piece I started with the orange pad and m205. then on the bottem I used cyan and m105. For w.e the reason the results looked to similar ( I have a video I did a quick comparrison), so I was going to try swaping the pad and doing orange and m205 over that, well as I went to take it off I noticed it hanging slightly like this.

So is it just the cyan pad, Ive read mixed reviews about it. Or do I just not know what im doing in the least bit?

What do I do about getting 3in pads, are there better options? Should I just up to a 4in backing plate with corresponding pads. Are larger pads better constructed?

swanicyouth
04-25-2014, 01:34 PM
This seems to be a common issue with these pads. We must all be using them wrong.

But, there are some alternatives that are easier to figure out how to use. The Griots 3" polishing pad is good. The wax pad is useless in a regular DA.

3M makes 3" pads - but I haven't used them. Buff N Shine makes 3.5" pads that are good, and Rupes 4" pads are quite good as well.

parttimer
04-25-2014, 01:37 PM
i believe the little pads don't like that high of speed if i recall correctly.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
04-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Slow your speed down to 4-5.

I've had this issue happen when I remove the pad from the backing plate while the pad is still really hot. I do a lot of headlight restoration with 3 inch pads on speed 6 but I wouldn't use speed 6 on paint.

fly07sti
04-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Corey has the 3" HT pads in a lower profile (3"x.75")which I like much more and haven't had any come apart yet. I have had a couple of the 3"x1.25" delaminate in the past though.

tnecniv
04-25-2014, 04:22 PM
I had this happen to one of my 5" Tangerine pads 2 weeks ago.

allenk4
04-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Does anyone have experience re-gluing a pad like this?

tuscarora dave
04-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have experience re-gluing a pad like this?

I've done it in the past using a super thin layer of Gorilla Glue then trimming off any excess that foamed out the side of the velcro. I got tired of doing it so I switched to Cyclo 4" pads and never really had an issue since then.

I have some Griot's 3" polishing pads that are years old with lots of use on them. That's the way to go.

I have never had any 3M product disappoint me. Haven't tried their 3" pads, but I'd be willing to bet they're worth the money.

Legacykid
04-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Slow your speed down to 4-5.

I've had this issue happen when I remove the pad from the backing plate while the pad is still really hot. I do a lot of headlight restoration with 3 inch pads on speed 6 but I wouldn't use speed 6 on paint.

I thought the GG3 was underpowered, would not have thought it would be a problem.

I've done it in the past using a super thin layer of Gorilla Glue then trimming off any excess that foamed out the side of the velcro. I got tired of doing it so I switched to Cyclo 4" pads and never really had an issue since then.

I have some Griot's 3" polishing pads that are years old with lots of use on them. That's the way to go.

I have never had any 3M product disappoint me. Haven't tried their 3" pads, but I'd be willing to bet they're worth the money.

Maybe ill try this in the mean time until I find a better pad.