PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized Cargo Trailer

El Flaco Taco
04-25-2014, 07:43 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/25/jupy6yme.jpg

What product and procedure would you use to make this thing shine?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oldmodman
04-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Are the riveted sheets powder coated?

I polished right through to the undercoat on one of my trailers once. It's difficult to get a neglected trailer finish to really shine sometimes. Try doing a small, inconspicuous area first.
Start out with a very mild polish. or even just a cleaner wax. I went through the white top coat very quickly. So be careful.

El Flaco Taco
04-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Are the riveted sheets powder coated?

I polished right through to the undercoat on one of my trailers once. It's difficult to get a neglected trailer finish to really shine sometimes. Try doing a small, inconspicuous area first.
Start out with a very mild polish. or even just a cleaner wax. I went through the white top coat very quickly. So be careful.

Not powder coated. Thanks for the reply. I'll be tackling it Sunday.

Chicago Tommy
04-26-2014, 12:46 PM
A quart of gas and a match?

No seriously, the coating (whatever it may have been) is gone in some areas. Those areas will never come back, and you'll likely remove even more "paint". Being as small as it is, I would paint it. El cheapo roller especial.

davidc
04-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Usually the paint on those units and corrugated type travel trailers is VERY THIN. It does not take much to burn thru. A cleaner polish/wax may be your best bet if it is salvageable at all.

Dave

HateSwirls
04-26-2014, 02:23 PM
If it was me I'd do the following.

Buff it out using Meguiar's 105 using my rotary and a wool pad.
Still using the rotary I'd switch to and orange pad using Meguiar's 205.
Then using my DA I'd put on a white pad again using the 205.

Before I'd go too far however I'd make sure it's worth the work doing only a 2'x2' area, if it looks better I'd seal it using my DA, a black finishing pad and Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant.

From just looking at the picture I think you can improve the paint some, how much I would not know until I was done working my test area.

IMO the 105 would give you better chance of correcting.

Good luck and please let us know if you made any progress.

El Flaco Taco
04-27-2014, 07:52 PM
If it was me I'd do the following.

Buff it out using Meguiar's 105 using my rotary and a wool pad.
Still using the rotary I'd switch to and orange pad using Meguiar's 205.
Then using my DA I'd put on a white pad again using the 205.

Before I'd go too far however I'd make sure it's worth the work doing only a 2'x2' area, if it looks better I'd seal it using my DA, a black finishing pad and Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant.

From just looking at the picture I think you can improve the paint some, how much I would not know until I was done working my test area.

IMO the 105 would give you better chance of correcting.

Good luck and please let us know if you made any progress.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/28/atyme7es.jpg
This is what I was able to do. Used rupes with fg400 on microfiber pad. I'll take it.
Only one thing. When I got around back I ran into trouble. Only figured out that the panel was too hot after my first section. Wasn't able to wipe the compound all the way off in places. How do I correct that?

Would you take a another step after the fg400?

Thanks for the help!

HD.Detailing
04-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Rupes rocks! Nice eork

Sent from my Alien ship