PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: Porter Cable vs Flex 3401

Socalsteve
04-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

Just got done detailing my white 2012 Porsche 911 with a Porter Cable, Menzerna FG400 x 2 (orange pad) and then used Menzerna SF4500 (white pad)...

There are still some swirl marks after all that. Is this because I need a more powerful tool ( Flex 3401), lousy technique, not enough passes, not enough patience or ???

But, in my defense, they are super hard to see even in direct sunlight. Its so hard to see the results on a white car...

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

ski2
04-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Hard to say what is the cause. This is the value of doing a test spot to solidify your technique, pads and product before you do the entire car.

Socalsteve
04-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Hard to say what is the cause. This is the value of doing a test spot to solidify your technique, pads and product before you do the entire car.

I did this and thought I had it licked...but again, with the white paint it is sooooo hard to see the swirl marks. I know I got many of them out, but under certain angles with the light just right, you can still see faint swirl marks...

Is it even worth it at this point to try to remove them? Car looks great the way it is...

ski2
04-24-2014, 11:59 AM
On light colored paint I sometime use multiple light sources to check for swirls--at different angles etc sometimes a standard incandescent bulb works, sometimes an LED flood, other times Halogen etc.

If you're happy with it I'd just leave it--no need to remove additional clear coat.

Mike Phillips
04-24-2014, 01:07 PM
There are still some swirl marks after all that.

Is this because I need a more powerful tool ( Flex 3401), lousy technique, not enough passes, not enough patience or ???

Could be a combination of all of the above.

The Flex 3401 with 5" Hybrid Pads is a swirl eater. The PC by comparison will take longer, more perfect technique and more passes. Most of all be sure you're moving it very slowly over the surface for the correction step and even work smaller areas for more correctoin power.

Read through this,

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)

But, in my defense, they are super hard to see even in direct sunlight.

Chances are scratches or swirls remaining are RIDS and if the car in question is a daily driver I'd call it good enough, slap some wax on her and move forwrd.

See this also,

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24045-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html)

:)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-25-2014, 03:47 AM
The Flex 3401 with 5" Hybrid Pads is a swirl eater.

:)

I couldn't agree more!

Equip a 3401 with the Hybrid pads and Menzerna products and you have a swirl devouring Monster!!!

Here is an article I put together on extracting the maximum swirl eating abilities of this setup.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

addysdaddy
04-25-2014, 06:44 AM
Hey Steve, good to see you over here on the AG forum as well. I would agree with Mike P & Smack that the Flex with the 5" LC Hybrid pads is the way to good. And like you I have a white car and it's truly a p.i.t.a. to actually see what's going on. Either high noon outside or in the garage at night with the lights off with the Brickmann fired up are the two best ways I've found of evaluating the paint.

That said I attended one of the Thursday night classes and asked Mike about some of the small scratches/swirls that we're still in the paint after we buffed out the hood. He said to me what he just told you - it's a DD and it's good enough which actually really helped me to "accept" my paint condition even with these flaws. The only person who is going to see these are you and you have to go on a witch hunt to find them.

As you said, it's very difficult to see these minor imperfections and don't let them ruin your appreciation for a job well done and a beautiful car. And...buy the Flex 3401 if you can with a bunch of the yellow pads - haha. You'll never pick up the Porter Cable again.