PDA

View Full Version : Older vehicle for mobile

Gearhead
04-24-2014, 09:27 AM
I am going mobile and currently have a 98 Jeep grand cherokee. Do you think it would turn people off to see a 16 year old rig pull up? It isn't in bad shape, but does have some paint issues. Not sure what to do.

Flash Gordon
04-24-2014, 10:32 AM
As long as it's clean I don't see a problem

hernandez.art13
04-24-2014, 10:47 AM
+1 you have to start somewhere.

Heck, in the past I through all my gear in my car. I just made sure it was one of the nicest if not thee nicest on the block. (Detailing wise lol)

Just keep it detailed as best as you can. I'd imagine until you get established. Then you'd be known for your work and your worm would speak for itself.

Gearhead
04-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Ok thank you guys. Makes me feel better. I would also be putting my logo on it. The designer is still working on that though.

Aasgaard Auto
04-26-2014, 06:33 PM
I am using a beat up 97 silverado dented bed, trim pieces missing, different color hood, etc.... still get referrals.

adamv7010
04-26-2014, 10:27 PM
I am using a beat up 97 silverado dented bed, trim pieces missing, different color hood, etc.... still get referrals.

The customers car looks so much better than yours afterwards that they don't even care what you're driving...nor do they mind paying you.

Seriously...in my area at least, pull up to a mans house driving a 100k dollar detailing rig and his mindset is going to be that you have enough $ and don't need any of his.

sent while driving recklessly

aztec1987
04-26-2014, 11:11 PM
To be honest my work is always reflected off my mothers 2007 Honda Pilot aka "Sweet Juliet" and on my brothers 2008 Mustang GT "Pegasus". The vehicle you drive does not reflect what you do! What matters is the work you do for other people. I did one of my coworkers 2008 Toyota and he loved it, took a picture of it and from there began my clients coming in. Unfortunately I had to leave the detailing business since the airline industry demanded me to fly more hours and been away from home from 2 to 3 months.

Gearhead
04-27-2014, 07:53 AM

The customers car looks so much better than yours afterwards that they don't even care what you're driving...nor do they mind paying you.

Seriously...in my area at least, pull up to a mans house driving a 100k dollar detailing rig and his mindset is going to be that you have enough $ and don't need any of his.

sent while driving recklessly
That's awesome to hear aasgaard! Do you polish it? I was also thinking that if you had an expensive new rig the customer would think that's were all their money is going.

dirtdestroyer
04-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Unlike others I do believe your vehicle does reflect on the impression you make as a business. Practice what you preach is the phrase that comes to mind. If you show up in a vehicle with poor paint condition and signs of neglect it is pretty hard to give the impression that your services matter or that such services help keep resale value high.

Age really has no reflection on this as an older vehicle that has been properly cared for is a fine example of exactly what you are selling. A detailer with a vehicle in poor condition would be no different than a personal trainer in poor physical condition trying to sell PT services. You may know all there is to know on the subject but impressions can have an impact.

If you pull up to my house with 100k rig I'm going to think holy crap this guy must know what he's doing to pull that kind of bank, if you pull up in a vehicle in poor condition I'm going to think no wonder he drives that, he can't even keep his own paint in good condition.

It's all relative to who your customer base is and what the condition of the vehicle is though.

Just my 2 cents

JAF06SE
04-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Age doesn't matter as long as it's taken care of. I personally would turn a detailer away if they showed up in a beat up vehicle that looked like sh*t. I'm in the service industry (electrician) and we take great pride in our service trucks. They're usually clean (weather permitting) and always maintained. Our oldest van is 10 years old, still looks like new. Just keep it looking good and you won't have issues. It's a thing called pride. Have it in yourself and your business and you'll be successful.

JAF06SE
04-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Unlike others I do believe your vehicle does reflect on the impression you make as a business. Practice what you preach is the phrase that comes to mind. If you show up in a vehicle with poor paint condition and signs of neglect it is pretty hard to give the impression that your services matter or that such services help keep resale value high.

Age really has no reflection on this as an older vehicle that has been properly cared for is a fine example of exactly what you are selling. A detailer with a vehicle in poor condition would be no different than a personal trainer in poor physical condition trying to sell PT services. You may know all there is to know on the subject but impressions can have an impact.

If you pull up to my house with 100k rig I'm going to think holy crap this guy must know what he's doing to pull that kind of bank, if you pull up in a vehicle in poor condition I'm going to think no wonder he drives that, he can't even keep his own paint in good condition.

It's all relative to who your customer base is and what the condition of the vehicle is though.

Just my 2 cents

All of this as well 👍

MPBGT
04-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Age doesn't matter as long as it's taken care of. I personally would turn a detailer away if they showed up in a beat up vehicle that looked like sh*t. I'm in the service industry (electrician) and we take great pride in our service trucks. They're usually clean (weather permitting) and always maintained. Our oldest van is 10 years old, still looks like new. Just keep it looking good and you won't have issues. It's a thing called pride. Have it in yourself and your business and you'll be successful.

I agree with this. I used to be a general contractor all of our F150's had 200,000 plus thousand miles and were just basic white work trucks. They were all kept very nice and clean, we would get comments at the job sites.
I would be more impressed if a detailer pulled up with a well maintained older truck/van/SUV than a new car.

Showtime
05-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I too believe that your tow rig matters UNTIL you get an established customer base and/or reputation. At that point, it no longer matters.

I have an eclectic variety between my two tow rigs: a 2006 Mazda B3000 (Ranger) with a softball sized dent in the front right quarter (and a metal gouging) and then I have a beautiful 2010 Blue Metallic Flame F-150 that turns heads wherever I go. If you put the two trucks side by side on a road, with the same trailer (different company logos), I can almost guarantee you you would call the number on the F-150 rather than the Mazda.

That being said, one of my employee's has a 98 Explorer with clear peeling off the hood and he used to tow the trailer and no one ever said a word. Why? They saw our work on our facebook page or website and it spoke for itself.

Just do good work. The business and referrals will come.

Gearhead
05-03-2014, 10:56 PM
I too believe that your tow rig matters UNTIL you get an established customer base and/or reputation. At that point, it no longer matters.

I have an eclectic variety between my two tow rigs: a 2006 Mazda B3000 (Ranger) with a softball sized dent in the front right quarter (and a metal gouging) and then I have a beautiful 2010 Blue Metallic Flame F-150 that turns heads wherever I go. If you put the two trucks side by side on a road, with the same trailer (different company logos), I can almost guarantee you you would call the number on the F-150 rather than the Mazda.

That being said, one of my employee's has a 98 Explorer with clear peeling off the hood and he used to tow the trailer and no one ever said a word. Why? They saw our work on our facebook page or website and it spoke for itself.

Just do good work. The business and referrals will come.
Thanks. I am really working on taking good pictures and letting my work speak for itself.